Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you ever amazed at your movie tastes?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-22-07, 11:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

I just saw "Hairspray" tonight and it was giddily delightful. Amazing is more like it. I get so swept up in great music and stellar performances that make everything look so fluid. I mean seeing Travolta in that get up, once you take a minute to get used to, you wonder how it is all make-up and prosthetic. Nikki Blonsky was a revelation and I wonder if she might be thought of during Oscar time.

In fact, the past several musicals I have loved and almost wept at how good they were, literally. The last one "Dreamgirls" was simply awesome! (don't even get me started on that one) "Rent" & "Walk The Line" both shook me emotionally, though "Rent" is one of my favorite stories and Broadway shows (seen it 6x) of all time so I was destined to love the movie as well.

But, as I watched "Hairspray" i was just struck with the notion that i am so into these movies yet this wouldn't be the first genre to pop in my head when i think about my love for movies. i am a horror and action fiend and my collection shows that, but then i step back and think of the classics and dramas and movie musicals that i love and wonder how or when i gained such a wide range of tastes.

it just amazes me sometimes and i was wondering if anyone knows what the hell i am talking about and feels similar?
Old 11-23-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Nope
Old 11-23-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 181 Posts
Yeah, not really.
Old 11-23-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Judging by the Weekly Boxoffice threads, I think most people at DVDTalk are just amazed at how bad other people's tastes are.
Old 11-23-07, 08:48 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I think over time everyone appreciates all genres of film, simply because action and horror can get boring if it's all you watch. I think limiting yourself to just a few genres can make anyone boring.
Old 11-23-07, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i am a horror and action fiend and my collection shows that, but then i step back and think of the classics and dramas and movie musicals that i love and wonder how or when i gained such a wide range of tastes.
?

You "experimented" in college.
Old 11-23-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Amazed? No

Disgusted? Yes
Old 11-23-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Amazed? No

Disgusted? Yes

Me too.
Old 11-23-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts
I just saw "Hairspray" tonight and it was giddily delightful. Amazing is more like it. I get so swept up in great music and stellar performances that make everything look so fluid. I mean seeing Travolta in that get up, once you take a minute to get used to, you wonder how it is all make-up and prosthetic. Nikki Blonsky was a revelation and I wonder if she might be thought of during Oscar time.

In fact, the past several musicals I have loved and almost wept at how good they were, literally. The last one "Dreamgirls" was simply awesome! (don't even get me started on that one) "Rent" & "Walk The Line" both shook me emotionally, though "Rent" is one of my favorite stories and Broadway shows (seen it 6x) of all time so I was destined to love the movie as well.

But, as I watched "Hairspray" i was just struck with the notion that i am so into these movies yet this wouldn't be the first genre to pop in my head when i think about my love for movies. i am a horror and action fiend and my collection shows that, but then i step back and think of the classics and dramas and movie musicals that i love and wonder how or when i gained such a wide range of tastes.

it just amazes me sometimes and i was wondering if anyone knows what the hell i am talking about and feels similar?
I will agree with you, as I am more of a horror and action movie fan. There are other movie genres out there that may be your gulity pleasure, for me its teen movies.
Old 11-23-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am sometimes surprised that I don't like a particular film, when everything I've read/seen/heard about it prior to watching would indicate that it's my type of film.
Old 11-23-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so is De-Lovely any good?
Old 11-23-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Rent, Hairspray and Dreamgirls eh?

I'm guessing that you're amazed because you're straight but your cinematic tastes say different?
Old 11-23-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good morning Baltimore!
Old 11-23-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Musicals are cool. I loved Chicago. Dreamgirls was really enjoyable though not on quite the same level. Really dug Walk The Line too, but have yet to see Hairspray.
Old 11-24-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sometimes amazed at myself that I can be truly moved by some silent films.
Old 11-24-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Well, I consider myself mostly a "cult-movie nut" these days, but my rental activity from Netflix seems to prove otherwise:

The Holiday
Tiramisu
Our Hospitality / Sherlock Jr.
Hav Plenty
Remembering the Cosmos Flower
Down Argentine Way
The Quiller Memorandum
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
The Last Sin Eater
Contempt
My Young Auntie

...So It's always refreshing for me to know that I'm very much open to a wide variety of stuff. And considering that the only type of movie that I would watch 15 years ago was of the "Gang/Mobster" genre, I'd say the transition really has been "Amazing" .
Old 11-24-07, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My movie tastes are absolutely fabulouscious!
Old 11-24-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In what world do you live in where Walk the Line is a musical?
Old 11-24-07, 07:39 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
No.
Old 11-24-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get where you are coming from. I am a huge horror fan, by far my favorite genre. The thing is, I love musicals as well. I haven't seen Hairspray (my daughter actually has the rental at home and I may just watch it tonight based on your reaction) or Dreamgirls, but I loved Chicago. Three of my favorite movies are Jesus Christ Superstar, Camalot, and The Man From La Mancha. Hell, I even loved Moulin Rouge.

I am comfortable with my manhood and rarely ever wear ladies underwear. You can be macho and like musicals.
Old 11-24-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Amazed? No

Disgusted? Yes
Exactly!
Old 11-25-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't say I'm amazed. While primarily a long time SF film fan who grew up in the 1960's watching late night TV showings of the classic Universal monster movies, my movie tastes are somewhat eclectic...to say the least.

Favorite movies (in no particular order):
Forbidden Planet
7th Voyage of Sinbad
Hatari
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Tingler
Quiet Man
Move Over Darling
20 Million Miles to Earth
Rio Lobo
Bruce Almighty
Mame
The Mummy (Karloff)
Lord of the Rings I, II, & III
Crocodile Dundee
Key Largo
The Incredibles
How to Murder Your Wife
Dracula (Lugosi)
Jason & The Argonauts (Harryhausen)
The Searchers
King Kong (1933)
Toy Story
The Crimson Pirate
The Wizard of Speed & Time

I could go on and on and on...
Old 11-26-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Why should I be "amazed" at what I like? That implies shock, guilt, or shame in enjoying the things that I find entertaining. It's kind of a Puritanical knee-jerk response, really.

As others have said, I'm more "amazed" at the total crap other people seem to find entertaining. :-P
Old 11-26-07, 09:33 AM

never