Kid Nation "Let Me Talk!" 11/21/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-22-07, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woohoo! No one's posted about it yet!!!

I think this deserves a new thread, as the last 'weekly' thread was used for 3 episodes.

All new council.

Wow.

I think Blaine is a good kid, but Greg, well, like Taylor, he keeps saying he's going to change, but it seems to only be temporary.

Surprised at DK. Thought he would side with Micheal, not Greg and Blaine.

Feel bad for Laurel being off council, though she did change a little the last few days. She deserved a gold star. She deserved one days ago.

A lot of people would be happy to see Greg and Taylor both gone, but they bring a lot of drama to the town, and without them, the town would be very boring!!

That 'respect game' reminded me of something that happened last summer... Some college/university penalized students and didn't give them their diplomas because their familes/friends made too much noise.

The affected students complained afterwards that sometimes the families of other people would make noise causing other students other than the families they were invited there for to lose their diplomas.

(Maybe someone else remembers this incident, and can clear up/add more details)

Giggling, making an inappropriate comment, a good reason to start over.

Wishing Happy Birthday, or asking to go to the bathroom, a good exception.

Only 9 days (3 episodes) left!!!!!

Oh, and I say again, anyone that cannot catch this when it airs, or has missed an episode, I cannot say how great CBS.com is for archiving all the episodes online. If not for that, I would have never watched more than the one episode I accidentally stumbled upon while bored channel surfing.
Old 11-26-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the Thanksgiving break really put a damper on my ability to keep up with shows so I only got to watch Kid Nation yesterday, I thought it was another excellent show.

Laurel acted like a real baby after losing but she quickly gathered herself and everything seemed fine after that, with the exception of the entire green team themselves. I'm sure they edit the hell out of things to make it look like the green team is worse than they really are but it is starting to drive me a bit nuts how elitist they act. It seems as though they started out only recognizing how great they thought they were when they were in thier own company but now it's as though they boast about it in the middle of the street.

The respect game at the saloon was a total joke, and Greg acted like a real dick calling people out like he did. He was running the whole thing and he was not respectful at all. Then team green had a powow and talked shit about Greg and Blaine which was certainly not cool but it was equally uncool that those fools 1.) decided it was cool to eavesdrop and 2.) Told DK that they were talking shit about him as well when they clearly were not.

I think Greg is a total jackass and even when he's trying to be nice he still comes across as a dick IMO, when they were screening these kids why do we suppose they would pick the most aggressive loudmouth prick they could find to be the OLDEST kid in town? I think that could have led to some pretty scary situations, oh he's also in the lowest bracket in the whole town for maturity level.

I'm going to stick up for Taylor again and say the way they treat her alot of the time is not cool at all. They are inconsistent with her, one day they let her go about her business and all is well, then the next day they're getting all up in her shit about water or whatever and threaten to punish her and blah blah blah. It's not cool, and I wouldn't have put it past those jackasses to not give her the letter from home. Way to go fellas, make her cry, real cool. She was obviously doing something when they approached her about getting water, so WTF??! and it's not like she's super fragile. The only time you see her cry is when people are being super mean to her, or when a friend is leaving (hey it shows she has a heart). If you want her to change, be nice about it. I wouldn't want to help do shit if people were yelling at me all day either.

I was looking on the list at CBS.com and I can't recall specifics off the top of my head, but it still looks like there's a handfull of kids that we either haven't heard from at all or maybe we heard them comment on something like once, which is obviously not enough to get to know any of them. What do these kids ultimately get for being on the show? If they get zero airtime, outside of spending over a month in some dumpy hole in the desert what have they gained?
Old 11-26-07, 09:22 AM

My theory still is that all the kids will get $20K for surviving the whole 39 days. I also think the council will get a bonus on top of that. My feelings about that part though have changed a little since the council has changed twice already.
Old 11-26-07, 11:04 AM

I believe I read that all kids get a $5k stipend for their participation. I could be wrong.

The great news about last weeks excellent episode:

8:00-9:00
1. “Pushing Daisies” (ABC) 7.52m
2. “Kid Nation” (CBS) 7.29m

Shows by 18-49 Demo
6. “Pushing Daisies” (ABC) 2.3/7

8. “Kid Nation” (CBS) 2.0/6

So, that means that it was almost the #1 show for the 8 o'clock hour. I'm hoping that this will help bring it back next year for another season.

And looking at the promo for this Wednesday's episode, it looks like Taylor will be the focus again.

Chris
Old 11-26-07, 11:07 AM

Yeah, here it is!

http://tvblog.ugo.com/index.php/tvbl...n_bombardment/

The main point of contention seems to be whether or not the 5000 “stipend” received by kids on the show constituted wages. CBS contends that participation in the show, which was filmed on location in New Mexico, was not the equivalent of a job, as the $5000 stipend was “not tied to specific output or tasks”. A Times review of the contract, however, casts some doubt on this assertion, as the children “were required to do whatever they were told by the show’s producers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or risk expulsion from the show”, which could potentially cause a forfeiture of the stipend.
Chris
Old 11-27-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a good show. Despite the producer's interference with the way the town is run, these are good kids. They are a lot more mature and smarter than most of the the adults in reality shows. If the show isn't back next season in primetime, CBS will probably put it on Saturday mornings if it's still reserved for kid shows.
Old 11-28-07, 11:03 PM

I hate love Taylor!

Another excellent episode tonight, mostly due to Taylor's temper tantrums. She reminds me of a young Paris, Britney, Lindsey & Nicole all rolled into one.

Seriously, we are getting a glimpse as to what those spoiled brats were like when they were growing up.

"All the ugly chickens should die" ????? (paraphrased) That's a classic line.

And it was interesting, but not surprising, seeing the effect that a free arcade would have on the town. Out of the 37 (?) remaining kids only 3 of them voted that they didn't like the effect the arcade was having on the town.

Chris
Old 11-28-07, 11:21 PM
Cool New Member

hopefully next week they hold the first Bonanza public execution. bye bye taylor
Old 11-28-07, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Is there a place to watch these online, if you know, you missed the original airing?

E
Old 11-29-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Is there a place to watch these online, if you know, you missed the original airing?
CBS has the full episodes available online.
Old 11-29-07, 03:34 AM
Banned

"The ugly animals should die."

Were these a couple of the ugly ones?

This one, maybe....

Jeeze, who's her father? Ted Nugent...?

I was thinking they should cut off the head of one of her 'brown chickens' and put it in her bed. (Oh, did I say that...?)
Old 11-29-07, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

E

Quick link:

http://www.cbs.com/innertube

That's how I'm watching most of these. I've seen exactly 2 episodes on the actual TV, ep #6 and ep #9, and I'll be able to see next week's.

Sometimes it locks up though.

And a few episodes are on YouTube, but they are chopped up and not all are there.

I think they gave in too quick on Taylor. She works when she has to, then she's back to her old ways.

These rewards were the ones shown in the 4 minute preview that aired in the summer, and has been on YouTube for some time. I've been waiting for them to show themselves.

So the green district really is the gold district now, hmmm? Only 3 'greens' haven't gotten a star. Well, 4 if you count Jimmy.

I'm surprised at Jared. I thought he was smarter than that, I can't believe he blew off his assignment, then snuck in later.

I really like Alex. I don't know if he's a really good worker, they never really show him that much working, but he always seems to be a voice of reason, and he's much more intelligent than his 9 years.

About time they get a sheriff.

They didn't ask if anyone wanted to go home or if the town approved of the council??

Of those left, those I think who may be deserving of a star...

Alex, Jared, Migle, Mike, Olivia, Zach.

I would have said Anjay or Guylan, but after leaving the council, they've kinda faded into the background.

Kids listed on the wiki page that are in Bonanza I don't remember seeing much of:

Brett, Campbell, Eric, Gianna, Jasmine, Madison, Maggie, Savannah, Sophie.

Of course, I did watch the first 6 episodes in 3 days, they were kind of a blur, maybe they were there and I just didn't notice them.

Only 2 more eps to go!
Old 11-29-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"That stinks."

"No it doesn't."

"It's either your breath or the chicken."

Old 11-29-07, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
"That stinks."

"No it doesn't."

I thought that was a perfect closing!

I think Taylor should get her own 'preteen diva' reality show!

I know I'd watch!

Chris
Old 11-29-07, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
"That stinks."

"No it doesn't."

funniest line of the whole season....almost beating the funniest visual of Jared all pimped out.

I hope Zack gets the star next...he really did well with Taylor, and I thought he did well on council.
Old 11-29-07, 10:55 AM

Well, there's a new sheriff in town next week and it should be very interesting!

Chris
Old 11-29-07, 11:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I think Taylor's chances of winning a gold star are nil.

Unless they wind up giving a gold star to EVERY kid at the end (in which, they withhold Taylor's star for bad behavior!)
Old 11-29-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
I'm surprised at Jared. I thought he was smarter than that, I can't believe he blew off his assignment, then snuck in later.
I kinda think Jared is the producers' puppet. The trashing of the one girl's snack stand, the pimp outfit, and the arcade sneaking--all those bits seemed a little forced to me.
Old 11-29-07, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Premise
CBS has the full episodes available online.
I don't know if I should thank you or not. I watched all of them since yesterday. Heh. Really interesting to show, at least to me.

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
"The ugly animals should die."

Were these a couple of the ugly ones?

kn01taylor11ua7.jpg

This one, maybe....

kn01taylor12ay9.jpg
Where did you get those?? Kinda weird, you know.

E
Old 11-30-07, 10:24 AM
Banned

I don't know if I should thank you or not. I watched all of them since yesterday. Heh. Really interesting to show, at least to me.

E
Right off the CBS site. Lots of pictures of Taylor over there. Along with a handful of kids that I honestly don't ever remember seeing on the show. I guess not everyone gets the spotlight.
Old 11-30-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
It's really not unusal for southern girls to go hunting. I don't doubt that she did the deed(s).

But they had to be ugly deer/turkeys!
Old 12-05-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
"Pelvis has left the building!"
Old 12-05-07, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by leeta
"Pelvis has left the building!"
Okay, it's official..this kid needs his own sitcom. But only if he writes the stuff himself.

This episode felt extremely scripted to me. Especially when the "sheriff" Sophia came swaggering out of the saloon chewing on a straw.

I still enjoy the heck out of this show though, and wonder how it will keep it up next season, especially when the parents will be coaching kids now on how to get the gold star.
Old 12-05-07, 11:26 PM

I think tonights gold star winner needs to use the money to get his tooth fixed!

It was a pretty good episode tonight, especially with the Zak dramatics at the end.

Only one more episode left next week and I know it's going to be a real tear jerker!

Chris
Old 12-06-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I think tonights gold star winner needs to use the money to get his tooth fixed!
So true. It bugged me everytime they showed him talking this season.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.