Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Old 12-02-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Sure you can, if they're iTunes Plus.
iTunes Plus is a relatively new development, the iTunes store was already incredibly popular with its restrictive DRM for years before that. That was my point: that the DRM isn't really an issue in regards to the Kindle gaining iPod-like ubiquity.
Old 12-03-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay G.
iTunes Plus is a relatively new development, the iTunes store was already incredibly popular with its restrictive DRM for years before that. That was my point: that the DRM isn't really an issue in regards to the Kindle gaining iPod-like ubiquity.
If this were five years ago, I'd agree with you.
Old 12-03-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
If this were five years ago, I'd agree with you.
Why's that?
Old 12-03-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why's that?
The trend is to move away from DRM. This isn't five years ago when all digital content had it.
Old 12-04-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device

Isn't a book already a "wireless reading device"?

I do like the idea of being able to store 200 books, but I think I prefer the heft weight, texture of one single, solitary book to this device. And I don't need to spend $400 on it, either.
Old 12-05-07, 10:30 AM

Interesting idea, but what happens to those people who finish their 200 books. Do they lose what they pay for (by deleting them) and then can't read them after they go for more?
Old 12-05-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orderandlaw
Interesting idea, but what happens to those people who finish their 200 books. Do they lose what they pay for (by deleting them) and then can't read them after they go for more?
You can always download a deleted book again (unless, of course, Amazon goes out of business).
Old 12-05-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been a fan of ebooks for nearly a decade. I've read hundreds of books on my PDA and laptop. Most of those newer releases I paid for and not just public domain free books. I like the idea of eink screens, but honestly the prices Sony and Amazon charge just turn me off. I don't mind ebooks as an added feature to a device I'm already using, but to pay $300 - $400 just to read ebooks is insane.

The DRM is also a pain in the ass if you want new releases. I had hoped that since Amazon owns Mobipocket all of my ebooks I have purchased would work on the Kindle, but Amazon decided to use a different DRM for the Kindle.

I'm one of the few people in the world that would actually want an ebook reader, but they keep driving me away with high hardware prices and DRM. One of the reasons I bought books in the Mobipocket and eReader format was the large number of devices they work with. Palm, Windows, Mac, Blackberry and Sybian. However, these new dedicated devices have to have their own DRM and who wants to tie up a large library in something that only works on a single device? Sony or Amazon stop making their devices and you have books that are basically useless when your device finally craps out.

They need to either drop DRM or come up with a universal ebook standard that works in all devices.

Last edited by darkside; 12-05-07 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some comments (Disclaimer--I own a Sony Reader):

1) e-Ink display is awesome. I like real books (and spend too much time on a computer screen). e-Ink looks like a real book, with a slightly lower contrast in dimmer light, which is easier on the eyes than any lcd display. Personally, I think anyone who reads books regularly on a Treo or the like is setting themselves up for major eye strain.

2) Best resource for these ebook devices is www.mobileread.com . Great discussions on all devices, format conversion utilities, hacks, free book uploads, etc.

3) Personally, I think the Kindle looks clunky, and have not wanted wifi or direct download capability on my Sony Reader (which has the same display). The Kindle also loses in battery life because of the extra features.

4) There are tons of free/cheap book resources out there. (See forum above.) Plus silkpagoda.com has a dvd with 10,000 books (some are stories, but it has all the classics) in native format for $10. Baen books has some free sci-fi. Lots more out there. That alone justifies (to me) the price of an excellent ebook device.

5) These devices are more like a book than you might think. (No ipod or treo comes close.) The display is about the size of a paperback, and is reflective like a real book. Battery life is great (Sony - just about 2 weeks with fairly regular daily reading.) Just bring it along on a trip or vacation or commute--recharging is rare, unlike most other electronics. And bringing 20-30 books along to suit your mood is easy. (OK, you can fit a lot more, plus memory cards are an option for even more storage.)

6) After having a Sony for a few months now,I can say it feels more like reading a book. I never got that 'reading' experience from any computer or phone display. So for those who read and enjoy real (i.e., paper) books, an e-ink device is worth a look imo. (I realize many people these days do almost all their reading on computer screens and never sit down with paper and ink. But even they might find the e-Ink easier to read.)

[Update] Just thought of number 7) Some people here say they like regular, paper books, so why go electronic? I love books, and have a ton of shelves full of them. But, I can take my Sony Reader into the steamroom with me. (In a ziplock bag.) Works perfectly. Could never do that with a paper book. And I love reading in the steamroom now! (It's in our guest bathroom, btw.)

Last edited by drmoze; 12-15-07 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its also perfect for those with limited shelf space that do not hold on to books after reading them
Old 01-30-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
Some comments (Disclaimer--I own a Sony Reader):
Me too & I love it so far (after about 90 books).

1) e-Ink display is awesome. I like real books (and spend too much time on a computer screen). e-Ink looks like a real book, with a slightly lower contrast in dimmer light, which is easier on the eyes than any lcd display. Personally, I think anyone who reads books regularly on a Treo or the like is setting themselves up for major eye strain.
e-Ink is great. I did a little with ebooks on my Treo before getting the Sony & it was fine for a quick 15 min. time killer, but for longer reading my eyes didn't like it at all.

2) Best resource for these ebook devices is www.mobileread.com . Great discussions on all devices, format conversion utilities, hacks, free book uploads, etc.
Definitely the place to be if you're interested in these devices.

These devices certainly aren't for everyone (heck most people don't read, or don't read enough books to care), but they certainly fill a growing niche. Book availability is getting better & better, but there are still tons of things that unfortunately aren't available in e-format.

DRM stinks, but thanks to certain tools I can buy MS Reader versions of the books I want & easily break the DRM & convert them to Sony's format.
Old 01-30-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I have a Kindle so if anyone has any questions, ask
Old 01-31-08, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I have a Kindle so if anyone has any questions, ask
Do you get the same warm, cozy feeling using the kindle as you do when holding a book?
Old 01-31-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's some news that could affect the Kindle:

Amazon Buying Audible.com for $300M
Associated Press via MyWay.com
January 31, 2008

Read the full article here

NEW YORK (AP) - Internet retailer Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) said Thursday it will buy online audiobook provider Audible Inc. (ADBL) to expand its reach in digital audio content.

Amazon expects the deal, valued at about $300 million, will help bring to a broader audience Audible.com's more than 80,000 programs, which include audiobooks and spoken-word audio content from news outlets such as The New York Times and The New Yorker.
You have to wonder once Amazon.com owns Audible.com, will this mean that when you buy an e-book for the Kindle you will also get the audiobook version for only a small price premium? Does this preview a second-generation Kindle that includes full audiobook support where you can plug in a headphone to listen to the audio book?
Old 01-31-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by ceeece
Do you get the same warm, cozy feeling using the kindle as you do when holding a book?
I never get a warm, cozy feeling from a book, I get it from soft covers and hot chocolate
Old 02-10-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ceeece
Dunno about 'warm' but I get the same comfortable reading experience that I do with a paperback on my Reader. And NO active display (lcd/led/etc.) comes close to being book-like. Whoever said they liked reading *books* on their *Treo* is nuts IMO. The Reader/Kindle displays are very booklike. And a simple booklight takes care of dark places, just like a real book. The Treo (or any other pda) has a tiny backlit display that is not good for the eyes long-term. As for size, the Kindle/Reader is slightly larger than a paperback but thinner, and holds dozens if not hundreds of books.

Of course, these devices are for people who like to read books. If you can't imagine why anyone would want a device with no color display, no web browsing capability, no animations, etc. (which is a majority of the younger generation, I suspect), then these electronic books are clearly not for you. For those of us who can appreciate a good book (or several), these are awesome gadgets. My leisure reading has probably more than doubled since I got my Reader back in August.
Old 02-10-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when you get a free book reader with an Ipod or a cell phone is when i'll have one

no way i'm paying $400 just to pay more for books and carry around another device
Old 02-10-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
It has possibilities. But I love paper. Paper is easy to read, it boots up and goes straight to my page in under two seconds, and I can lend it to someone.

The last three books I've read were two loaners and a used $0.50 paperback. The Kindle is trying to prevent people from doing that.
Yes, one of the best things about reading a paperback is getting away from the computer or some electronic gadget.

I think it's a great idea for some magazines and newspapers, but not for an entire book. If the e-reader had video/tv out for presentations, the price would seem more reasonable.
Old 02-10-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you even used one? It is completely comfortable and book-like for reading, unlike any active display. I've read thousands of (paper) books in my lifetime, and can tell the difference. And these devices fell more like a book than a 'device' -- you mostly turn pages and read, occasionally switch books via a menu. And the Reader does start up in a second or 2, right where you left off. One button push takes you to a menu of bookmarks which you can set in each book you're reading, and one more button punch takes you to the page you bookmarked in any book.

It's like a book in terms of reading comfort (something a computer or pda is *not*), and there are tons of great free books available from many sources.
Old 02-10-08, 11:38 PM

I read somewhere that someone is developing one that has two screens and opens just like a book..
I'll wait for that & a lower $$ like $150.. $400 is just for the "got to have" it group
Old 02-11-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ds6161
I read somewhere that someone is developing one that has two screens and opens just like a book..
I'll wait for that & a lower $$ like $150.. $400 is just for the "got to have" it group
Actually, the Sony Reader (new model) is $300, and you can find the older model for $200. (I read that Costco has some for sale.) I picked up my reader for $60 as part of a Sony Style deal when I signed up for a credit card. Personally, I would rather have the thinner profile and longer battery life (plus cheaper price) of the Reader than Amazon's Kindle. With 50+ books on my Reader, I really do not need wifi at all.

The priciness is due to the costly e-ink displays, which are also what makes it such a great device for reading. They will probably get cheaper soon, but who knows how much the cost will come down. I agree they're expensive for the typical consumer, but for people who love to read, the convenience, comfort and huge amount fo fre books available makes it worthwhile. (Check the $10 DVD with 10,000+ books in Reader format available at silkpagoda.com, the Baen library, and manybooks.net for examples. Reading these e-books on an active display just doesn't cut it--bad enough I have to use a computer screen all day at work to work on documents! Reading novels on a computer screen would fry my retinas.)

A 2-display model would be cool, although almost twice as costly to make, larger, and redundant. One screen 'works' just fine, with page 'turns.' You only read one page at a time anyway. Although sometimes with the new 505 model (which pivots at the hinge in the supplied cover), I start to physically 'page turn' the device in the cover!
Old 02-29-08, 05:45 PM

I like the idea of electronic paper and reading a book this way. Though I've never seen one, I believe the posters who say e-ink is very much like paper. I've two problems with these devices. The first is the price. It's got to come down to $100 or even less. Second, if I get one, what the heck do I do with all the paperbacks I've got that I've never read? I know some would be free, but most, I'd have to buy again. I've already replaced VHS tapes with DVDs, now when I go Blu, I'll be replacing DVDs. Now books....aaarrgh!
Old 02-29-08, 07:44 PM

I read 2 to 4 books every week.A friend of mine has a kindle and I gave it a try.Hated it.Just does not feel right to me.Just does not feel comfortable to me.Give me paper .It feels more intimate..I've also never been able to read books off a computer screen.
Old 03-06-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would buy Kindle just for its always-on Wikipedia feature. That alone is worth something to me.

Not $400 though.
Old 03-07-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you want Wikipedia access, a decent cell phone/pda with browser would be better. The main reason for getting a more expensive e-ink display device is if you'll be reading longer texts. It's great for books, not good for 'browsing.'

Last edited by drmoze; 03-07-08 at 01:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.