Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences in picture quality for Decalogue?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was considering picking up the Facets edition from DD during the current sale for $42.93. The image quality is supposed to be average at best, though apparently there is an Image edition from 2000, now OOP, that appears to look a bit better, at least as far as I can gauge from DVD Beaver's screencaps. There's a used copy of that version selling from Amazon for $49.95, plus shipping. My question is this- is the Image disc worth the extra ten bucks or so?
Old 11-19-07, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this can help:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/decalogue.htm
Old 11-19-07, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love DVDBEAVER, I just wish they had more than they do posted up there.

IMHO, the first IMAGE release looks the best, slightly better than the second IMAGE disc...the others do not look very good at all to me so...yes, it's probably worth a few extra bucks

...for what its worth.
Old 11-19-07, 09:36 AM

Also note there are two reviews here by DVD SAVANT covering BOTH Image releases. The only downside to them appears to be....snapper cases.
Old 11-19-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was pretty happy with the Facets edition. I can't imagine that your viewing experience would suffer at all from its image quality. I say go for it. ALSO--do not read the booklet until you have watched the episodes.
Old 11-19-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As you can see from the Beaver caps, the Warner Brothers Polish release is, by far, the best version. I've owned the Facets and the Image releases, and neither can compare. I was able to pick up the Polish release, repackaged in a smaller set (still absolutely gorgeous packaging) and less expensive at the Polish Traffic Club site. I also took the opportunity to purchase that 2 disk edition of 12 Kieslowski documentaries released by Polish Audivisual Publishers. If you're a Kieslowski fan, please note that these release are - by far - my favorite Kieslowski DVDs. And that's saying quite alot given how nice are Criterion's "Veronique" and MGM's "Trois Coleurs Trilogy".
Old 11-19-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Richard,

Could you provide a link to the Polish Traffic Club site? I'm having trouble finding it.
Old 11-19-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I purchased the Polish "Dekalog" and "Kieslowski Documentary" set from Polish Club almost exactly one year ago. It wasn't easy, as the site was all-Polish at the time (and may still be). For all info, including links to the site, discussion of the various releases, and helpful info on ordering in Polish, go to this thread on the criterionforum.org board: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...er=asc&start=0

EDIT: I just re-read that thread which among other things contains my entire ordering in Polish saga! I didn't recall just how difficult that was, but suffice to say that in the end it was definitely worth it. Also, given the relatively inexpensive price for the (great!) documentary set, I'd recommend you pick this up as well to save in shipping. I also noticed that the original Dekalog set (on 11 discs instead of 6, and costing twice as much) is probably available at the other Polish site with the English interface if you're interested in that one. The one I received - the repackaged 6-disc version - is pictured in a link, though only the digipacks opened up. Those are housed in a very sturdy and gorgeous black box that flips open and is only about the width of 3-1/2 amaray cases. It's one of my very favorite DVD sets.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 11-19-07 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you, sir.

sneak edit--Well, nuts, as far as I can tell, the WB Dekalog is no longer sold at the Traffic Club site. Rich, your original link in that Criterion thread goes to what looks like a error page, and using the search feature on the TC site only brings up his other films, and what I think is only a book on the Dekalog. Am I right on this?

(as I'm Polish myself, it always warms my heart to see pages of words that seem to be composed of only k's, y's and z's )

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 11-19-07 at 01:33 PM.