Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development...I take partial responsibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 04:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrested Development...I take partial responsibility

Hoping to just bring back great memories instead of torturing everyone in the fact that AD is gone, I take a little responsibility since I didn't watch the show during its initial run (well I don't have a Nielsen box though...). Anyways, everyone here has helped me in the "what to watch next" threads and can I just say...DAMN! Where the hell was I when AD was on??? This is by far one of the greatest shows ever made and I'm sad I missed it then. I just finished watching the series finale (I was somewhat happy when I had to pause it halfway through to do something else...I just didn't want it to end).

Thanks to everyone who said this show was gold. You weren't lying.

To Fox and the Nielsen homes that didn't watch this show....COME ON!!!!!
Old 11-16-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
If Tobias was only willing to show a little upper leg meat, this show might still be on the air.
Old 11-16-07, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshyborra
Hoping to just bring back great memories instead of torturing everyone in the fact that AD is gone, I take a little responsibility since I didn't watch the show during its initial run (well I don't have a Nielsen box though...). Anyways, everyone here has helped me in the "what to watch next" threads and can I just say...DAMN! Where the hell was I when AD was on??? This is by far one of the greatest shows ever made and I'm sad I missed it then. I just finished watching the series finale (I was somewhat happy when I had to pause it halfway through to do something else...I just didn't want it to end).

I specifically remember admonishing you to watch this program, but you said "No, I know what's good and this show is not".

And I said to myself "these silly young people have no idea what is good and what is not" and you know what, I feel vindicated now!

Chris
Old 11-16-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I just finished off Season 1.

Genius.
Old 11-16-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair Joshy, it was hard to watch even when it was on (at least if you don't have DVR). Fox did their damnedest to confuse us as to when we could see new episodes.
Old 11-16-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny, I was thinking of starting a similar thread today. I also blame myself since I didn't watch the show when it was originally on the air. I watched parts of a few different episodes but never really got into it until they started replaying the series on HDNET. I've watched the entire series through three times now, and will likely go for a 4th.
Old 11-17-07, 02:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The single greatest show ever to grace television. I can taste the sad ;(
Old 11-17-07, 07:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have to go back and watch the first season and a half's worth of the "next time" segments. Since I'd watch several episodes at a time (ok about a disc's worth..haha), I originally didn't want to watch previews that I'd see right away. It wasn't until I started reading the old episode threads here that I realized what I was missing!!!

mrpayroll, if it was indeed me who said that, I deserve to live in the attic.

Too bad we can't get some of GOB's forgetmenow's and relive watching the series for the first time again and again.
Old 11-17-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Turst me, I blame you, and everyone else that failed to watch the show when it first aired. It is my favorite show of all time, without a doubt. It also is the show with the one moment that made me laugh the most at a TV show, ever. Not because it was technically so funny in and of itself, but because it was indeed funny, but it just totally caught me off guard.
Old 11-17-07, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Turst me, I blame you, and everyone else that failed to watch the show when it first aired. It is my favorite show of all time, without a doubt. It also is the show with the one moment that made me laugh the most at a TV show, ever. Not because it was technically so funny in and of itself, but because it was indeed funny, but it just totally caught me off guard.

Well? Don't keep us in suspense.

Chris
Old 11-17-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Futher sad news is that Mitch's latest show was not picked up by any network. So not even the spirit of AD will be coming to our TVs anytime soon.

But for Pete's sake, can't they make a movie? It would make 30 million no problem at boxoffice (it had like 4 million viewers right?), because every viewer of the show would go see the film at least once and probably 2 times if not more.
Old 11-17-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
*SIGH* Yeah if only more people would have watched the show. I have gotten 5-6 people hooked on the show by letting them borrow my DVD's. I can probably get a lot more once all the new episodes are finished airing due to the writers strike.
Old 11-17-07, 06:42 PM
Banned

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kYVnosKj8i4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kYVnosKj8i4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5_Y6Nn-70E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5_Y6Nn-70E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-17-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
But for Pete's sake, can't they make a movie? It would make 30 million no problem at boxoffice (it had like 4 million viewers right?), because every viewer of the show would go see the film at least once and probably 2 times if not more.
You were saying?
Old 11-17-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5_Y6Nn-70E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5_Y6Nn-70E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
That one exists because of me.

And mrpayroll, the scene I'm talking about was the very, very end of the episode "The Ocean Walker".
Spoiler:
It shows Rita walking on water, then Michael turns to Gob and says "Hey, that's part of your trick, right?" and then Gob responds, totally with a straight face "No, that's not my trick Michael..." Then episode fades to black, and the "On the next Arrested Development bit starts, and at the very start of it it shows Michael standing with Gob, exactly where the scene left off, and Gob says "IT'S MY ILLUSION!!!".

That was the absolute clincher for me, totally perfectly done, and I die every time I see it, but that first time, wow, it totally caught me off guard. I'm laughing about it as I type this. After he says that, then absolute madness starts, and the greatness of that bit is extended throughout the chaos.
Old 11-17-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And mrpayroll, the scene I'm talking about was the very, very end of the episode "The Ocean Walker".
Spoiler:
It shows Rita walking on water, then Michael turns to Gob and says "Hey, that's part of your trick, right?" and then Gob responds, totally with a straight face "No, that's not my trick Michael..." Then episode fades to black, and the "On the next Arrested Development bit starts, and at the very start of it it shows Michael standing with Gob, exactly where the scene left off, and Gob says "IT'S MY ILLUSION!!!".

That was the absolute clincher for me, totally perfectly done, and I die every time I see it, but that first time, wow, it totally caught me off guard. I'm laughing about it as I type this. After he says that, then absolute madness starts, and the greatness of that bit is extended throughout the chaos.
I was going to post the same scene, definitely one of my favorites of the series. The best part of it is when Tobias hair catches on fire and he jumps in the pool. The last thing you hear before the credits roll is "Why am I not sinking? Dear God why am I not sinking!?!"
Old 11-18-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JPRaup
The single greatest show ever to grace television. I can taste the sad ;(

Id still rate it behind Jeffrey Tambor's greatest work in Larry Sanders... but to follow up that show with AR is quite an accomplishment

I had planned on watching this from day one, but forgot to set the tivo and then decided to wait until the dvd and pick it up in S2... definantly one of the greatest comedies of all time, and a reason I wont watch most other sitcoms, they fail miserably... the last show I enjoyed with an audience was Seinfeld
Old 11-18-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
I've lent this dvd set out to numerous people and managed to get a slew of people hooked on it. The show sells itself, shame Fox couldn't sell it.
Old 11-18-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I admit guilt as well. I'm roughly half way through Season 1 and I think this show was pure comic genius. I watched off and on while the show was on the air, I just didn't watch much TV and I was exceedingly selective (well, I thought so, I was obviously watching the wrong shows).

This is definitely in the upper echelons of TV comedy gold, per my tastes.
Old 11-19-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to admit that I never saw the show while it was being aired. That was during my "everything on TV sucks" phase (and I was only mostly right about that).

Someone finally convinced me to watch a few episodes, and I was immediately hooked. I've now got my girlfriend hooked on it.
Old 11-19-07, 04:14 AM

Spoiler:

Slight correction: this scene is at the end of episode 12 from season 3 titled "Exit Strategy".
Old 11-19-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep. Most perfect comedy ever.
Old 11-19-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joshyborra

I was the same way with Firefly.

I was a fan of Buffy and Angel, but had zero interest when it was announced Joss was doing a sci-fi on FOX. Finally broke down and bought the DVD set two years after it was cancelled and was kicking myself by the time I reached the last episode.
Old 11-19-07, 03:19 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's how you can atone:

Watch Chuck, Reaper, 30 Rock, Dirty Sexy Money ... (anyone who watched AD when it first ran, add your current new faves here).