Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So what's Bill Hunt alluding to in his column today? "Cinematic Treat"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, let's leave the Blu Ray vs HD DVD stuff out of this thread. I know we can do it.

Anyway, this sounds interesting. Is there a restoration we don't know about? Something worked on by Robert Harris? Or is it the often talked about 3D Star Wars that is finally making a debut? Those are my two guesses!

Post up your guesses and thoughts!

Every now and then, we have one of those experiences that reinvigorates our love of film - we see something that reminds us why we do what we do, why we go to all the trouble, and why we care about this stuff so much. Jahnke and I had one of those experiences last night up in L.A. We got to see something in a theatre that was so cool, the sun just seems to be shinning just a little bit brighter this afternoon. Naturally, we're not allowed to say what we saw, but rest assured that it's something all of you will get to see eventually, probably sometime in 2008. Sorry to be a tease, but I just wanted you all to know that you've got a VERY cool cinematic treat coming to you in the not-too-distant future.
Old 11-15-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd guess some movie that has been circulating as a rumor or in developmental hell.

If it was Star Wars 3D, the news would have been blown by now; I point to the leaked info last year or so regarding the original, original trilogy being released on DVD.
Old 11-15-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
God, what a worthless post by Bill Hunt. It's completely pointless in that it doesn't provide any information besides the fact that he saw "something cool" before everyone else did. It comes off as just boasting for the sake of stroking his ego.

I mean, I saw No Country for Old Men months ago, even before it screened at Cannes, but since I couldn't say anything about it, I didn't. I also didn't make any bragging posts of "I saw something really great, but I can't tell you anything about it, but I bet you'll enjoy it when it does come out."
Old 11-15-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Is there a restoration we don't know about? Something worked on by Robert Harris? Or is it the often talked about 3D Star Wars that is finally making a debut? Those are my two guesses!
Just a note: Those are three guesses.
Old 11-15-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
God, what a worthless post by Bill Hunt. It's completely pointless in that it doesn't provide any information besides the fact that he saw "something cool" before everyone else did. It comes off as just boasting for the sake of stroking his ego.
agreed. I mean why bother even talking about it if he can't tell us what it is.
Old 11-15-07, 10:37 PM

Just a note: Those are three guesses.
Yeah I didn't make that clear. In my mind I meant a restoration worked on by Robert Harris.
Old 11-15-07, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek
agreed. I mean why bother even talking about it if he can't tell us what it is.
That's why I started this thread. Jesus Christ, if nobody wants to have fun with this just close it now. Sure I think Hunt's a twit, but this intrigued me.
Old 11-15-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Jesus Christ, if nobody wants to have fun with this just close it now.
It's not that "nobody wants to have fun," there's probably plenty of us that'd like to guess at an upcoming project. However Bill's post is so vague that there's nothing to base a guess on.

For example, in your guesses, you conjecture that it's some sort of modification of an existing work. However, Bill could've just as easily been referring to some completely new film yet to be released. Likewise, you conjecture that it's something that people haven't heard of yet, or at least hasn't been officially announced. However, again, Bill's post is so vague that it just as likely could be some project that's been known for a long time and already has a release date.

It's the complete lack of any information to even guess at what he saw that I found the post to consist of nothing but boasting.
Old 11-15-07, 11:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
It's obviously referring to the film version of He's Just Not That Into You.
Old 11-15-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
His brother Mike knows.
Old 11-15-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's the restoration of the Godfather trilogy RAH is supposedly working on.
Old 11-15-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How the hell are we supposed to have fun with this? That douche Bill Hunt could be talking about any goddamn thing. How the hell do we guess when he gives us no hints?
Old 11-16-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
God, what a worthless post by Bill Hunt.
Old 11-16-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like how everyone hates Bill Hunt for no reason. Just because his opinions differ from yours on, say, hi-def DVD, doesn't make him a douchebag. And I would prefer this not turn into a big argument, so if anyone is going to go and respond directly to this comment, make a legitimate argument at least. Maybe there's some horrible thing he did years ago that everyone hates him for and I don't know about it but I've read The Digital Bits for several years now and I don't get the loathing people have for the website.

The point is true that he gives us nothing to guess with, but he's probably not allowed to. Otherwise he would have just told us, wouldn't he?
Old 11-16-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I really like how everyone hates Bill Hunt for no reason. Just because his opinions differ from yours on, say, hi-def DVD, doesn't make him a douchebag.
But when you're a shill and you attack others like Bill Hunt, it definitely racks you up some of those douchebag points.

And I'm going to be honest, I used to love reading The Digital Bits back in the day. Now, I turn to either DVD Active, DVD Times, or High Def Digest (besides DVD Talk, of course).
Old 11-16-07, 05:00 AM

Cinematic Titanic, from the original creators of Mystery Science Theater 3000, from which 'in the not-too-distant future" is a line from the opening credits.
Old 11-16-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally, Swimfan 2!
Old 11-16-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by J.J.A. Sabadoz
Cinematic Titanic, from the original creators of Mystery Science Theater 3000, from which 'in the not-too-distant future" is a line from the opening credits.
That'd be a clever hint by Bill Hunt, if I actually thought that's what it was. However, Cinematic Titanic is a known entity, so there'd be no need for the extreme secrecy. Also, Cinematic Titanic is having its first performance on Dec 7 at ILM, so it seems doubtful Bill Hunt saw it in LA already. Also, the first Cinematic Titanic release comes out on Dec 10, 2007, not "probably sometime in 2008."

I think "not-too-distant future" is just a common phrase that he used, not a hint.
Old 11-16-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
"I have a secret...but I'm not going to tell you. I just want you to know that I'm cool because I know a secret and you don't. I'm going to brand myself with the BD logo now, there are still a few parts of my skin that I haven't gotten to yet. Secret!!"
Old 11-16-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Still one of my favorite sites to check out. My guess is Cameron's Avatar.
Old 11-16-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Still one of my favorite sites to check out. My guess is Cameron's Avatar.
Old 11-16-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Pineapple Express?

Oh, and Hunt is massive douche.
Old 11-16-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched a cool movie last night.
Old 11-16-07, 01:05 PM

Hmm...I'm guessing it's Indiana Jones related. It's either the Preview of the movie or a full scene or a new DVD set.

But just my guess.
Old 11-16-07, 01:17 PM

Oh yeah, it could be the IJ4 trailer . . . I read a scene by scene description of it the other day. Who knows if it was real though . . .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.