Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

BEOWULF 3-D DVD release?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEOWULF 3-D DVD release?

I'm just curious when BEOWULF is released on DVD supposedly with 2-D & 3-D formats a la SPY KIDS 3, is the 3-Dimensional effect (with whatever 3D glasses they include) going to be mastered in a way so that people don't get the eye-crossing and headache-inducing effect of watching a 3-Dimensional movie on an HDTV? This movie is supposedly taking 3-D to the next level in the theaters - is it going to be taken to the next level on an HDTV or is it going to be the same ol' head-ache story?
Old 11-15-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I doubt it. Meet the Robinsons, Polar Express, and Nightmare Before Christmas were all released in 3-D in theaters only. I doubt it Beowolf will grace DVD or HD-DVD in 3-D.
Old 11-15-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was an iterview on Fangoiria radio this past week with Ken Mcdonald and Jerome Chen who did the visual effects and they said that there was no way to make a 3-D home release from the technology used.
Old 11-15-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

aww crap....that means i'm probably going to miss the theatrical 3-D presentation cuz im living in a different country. Does anyone know if they are going to be showing Beuwolf in 3-D in Europe and on non-Imax screens?

I'm assuming that there are 3-D scientists cracking away at work somewhere trying to figure out how to get 3-D successfully on Home Theater HDTVs. Does anyone know if that's true or where I can find info on this? I love 3-D, and i've been waiting for a normal movie, such as Beuwolf, to make 3-D a successful comeback (unlike Spy Kids 3)
Old 11-15-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Didn't the older non-analglyph 3D technology rely on interlaced displays, which fewer and fewer people have these days?

Besides, one of the reasons 3D is such a hot item now (especially among filmmakers) is because it can't be done at home.
Old 11-16-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I can probably check it out in Nashville, I'll just need time off on the weekend, so my girlfriend and I can go.

And seeing as how I work retail, that'll probably not be for a while.
Old 11-16-07, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
I just saw this in the theater and it was amazing. I can't wait until they do Star Wars like this
Old 11-16-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not going to happen right away, because they want you to get off the couch and go to the theater, but yes, the technology to bring you excellent 3-D at home is already here. Just give it time to get implemented. Samsung has a whole line of 3-D ready DLP sets on the market right now. Expect Blu-ray and HD DVD to use this in the future.

I doubt they'll do a simple anaglyph conversion of the new Digital 3D movies using red/cyan glasses for home use though. No way. That would not look good anyway, and could actually harm the attendance of Digital 3D movies in theaters because people might think they were anaglyph in theaters, and stay away as a result.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SPY KIDS 3-D use the anaglyph route on Blu-ray though, as they already did it on DVD. That one was even anaglyph in theaters in 2003, one of the rare times where that horrible process was used for a 3-D theatrical release. There is a much superior field sequential 3-D DVD out now also, which looks far better than the movie did in theaters.

Give it a few years, and the masses will have the option to watch HD 3-D and games at home in great quality with a minimum of hassle. Some of us are already doing it!
Old 11-16-07, 03:54 PM

i don't want to say that digital 3-D is a gimmick (okay maybe it is), but the reason it is being heavily used and developed right now is to differentiate the theater experience from the home-theater experience. with the advance of home-theater systems and the shrinking window between theatrical and home release, the movie theater industry is declining. films were changed from 4:3 aspect ratio to widescreen ratios in the 50s(?) in order to differentiate themselves from the television and that is what the studios are trying to do now.