Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kanye West's mother suddenly dies...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dr. Donya West, Kanye West’s mother, suddenly died last night, individuals close to the rapper confirmed.

The cause of death was not released immediately, but she was reportedly in the Los Angeles area when she died.

Kanye West chronicled his mother’s death in “Hey Mama,” a song from his album Late Registration. In the song, Kanye raps, “(Hey Mama), I wanna scream so loud for you, cuz I'm so proud of you / Let me tell you what I'm about to do, (Hey Mama) / I know I act a fool but, I promise you I'm goin back to school /I appreciate what you allowed for me
I just want you to be proud of me (Hey Mama).”

West eventually performed the song in front of his mother and Oprah Winfrey on the TV host’s highly rated show.

“'The city of Chicago is hurting for Kanye West. We know how much he loved and valued his mother and we just ask other cities to join us in pray for Kanye,” said Kendra G, a Morning Show co-host at Power 92 in Chicago

AllHipHop.com will provide more information as details a revealed. Our condolences go out to Kanye West and the family of Dr. Donya West."

= J
Old 11-11-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a lot of people around here disdain Ye, but this is sad to hear. As the original article states, the two were close; "Hey Mama" is a touching tribute.
Old 11-11-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

although I am no fan of Kanye's, I am very sorry to hear that. I lost my mother almost four years ago and I still miss her to this day, and I'm about the same age as Kanye
Old 11-12-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes it's sad, but why is this news? I've heard this reported for the last 2 days on news stations, which only tells me it's a slow news week. Celeb parents die all the time, does it really need special coverage? Maybe I'm biased because I absolutely cannot stand Kanye, but I really can think of, oh... 30 things more important I'd rather see on the news than this.
Old 11-12-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This one is out of left field, though, and considering her age (58), it'll be interesting to find out what the cause was. I've heard a rumor about what it was, but won't speculate beyond that until there's more to back that up.
Old 11-12-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I fully expect to hear an original remake of Every Breath You Take.
Old 11-12-07, 10:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I fully expect to hear an original remake of Every Breath You Take.
Are you mixing up Kanye and P Diddy?
Old 11-12-07, 10:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
George Bush doesn't care about Kanye's momma.
Old 11-12-07, 10:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
This one is out of left field, though, and considering her age (58), it'll be interesting to find out what the cause was. I've heard a rumor about what it was, but won't speculate beyond that until there's more to back that up.
African American? check.
Obese? check.

2:1 it was related to the effects of diabetes.

Old 11-12-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Are you mixing up Kanye and P Diddy?
No, I must be mixing up originality and Kanye West.
Old 11-12-07, 10:54 AM

Heard on the radio this morning that she was having a plastic surgery operation performed (lipo / breast augmentation) and she was unable to regain consciousness after being placed under anaesthesia.

Sorry to hear for Kanye, seemed like she was a big inspiration for him growing up.
Old 11-12-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Kanye West's mother dies after 'cosmetic procedure'

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The mother of hip-hop mogul Kanye West died following a "cosmetic procedure" in Los Angeles this weekend, her publicist told CNN Monday.

Kanye West and his mother, Donda West, in May 2006.

But Patricia Green, the publicist for Dr. Donda West, did not give details about the procedure or exactly what the cause of death was.

West died Saturday at the age of 58, confirmed a representative of West's record label, Island Def Jam, who added that "the family respectfully asks for privacy during this time of grief."

Donda West was a major influence on her son's life, as the music producer-singer-songwriter has often acknowledged. Watch Donda West talk about "Raising Kanye" »

She was the inspiration for the song, "Hey Mama," on Kanye West's 2005 album "Late Registration." Among the lyrics: "Hey Mama, I wanna scream so loud for you, cuz I'm so proud of you ... I appreciate what you allowed for me. I just want you to be proud of me."

Earlier this year, she released a book she co-authored called "Raising Kanye: Life Lessons From the Mother of a Hip-Hop Superstar."

West retired from her post as professor and chair of the English Department at Chicago State University in 2004 to become her son's manager, according to the Kanye West Foundation Web site.

Kanye West's writing partner Rhymefest lamented Donda West's death Sunday in an appearance on Chicago radio station WCGI, the AP reported.

"She was everyone's mom," Rhymefest said. "A spirit never dies, a spirit lasts forever." E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...est/index.html
Old 11-12-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
African American? check.
Obese? check.

2:1 it was related to the effects of diabetes.

1:1 you were wrong Mr. Diagnosis by stereotype.
Old 11-12-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got me out of my momma's crib then helped me get my momma a crib
Old 11-12-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know a lot of people hate Kanye, but I don't think a thread about the death of his mother is the appropriate forum to further bash him.

And what the CNN story reported is what I had heard in rumor form earlier this morning. Shame it was such an avoidable demise, but the end result is still the same. His mother is gone.
Old 11-12-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by eisenreich
Sorry to hear for Kanye, seemed like she was a big inspiration for him growing up.
So it's her fault he's such an insufferable prick?

I know a lot of people hate Kanye, but I don't think a thread about the death of his mother is the appropriate forum to further bash him.
Well, the thread title does have the "dot dot dot" at the end, leaving an opening for just about anything. Kind of like the first part of a joke, waiting for a punchline.

RIP, Mama West.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 11-12-07 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 11:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
1:1 you were wrong Mr. Diagnosis by stereotype.
It's not a stereotype, it's medical fact. Like it or not, african americans, especially those who are obese have a much higher risk of diabetes, hypertension, and heart attacks.

Let's just wait and see, shall we? My "diagnosis" isn't mutually exclusive... *something* caused a (relatively) young 58 year old body to die during a (relatively) benign cosmetic procedure.

Last edited by TGM; 11-12-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no point in having a thread about the mother of a celebrity. IN fact, bashing him is more on point than "news" about the unfortunate passing of his mother.
Old 11-12-07, 03:29 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Reminds me of the author of "First Wives Club", Olivia Goldsmith, who recently died at age 54 from complications after cosmetic surgery, which was a bit ironic considering the message of her book and movie.
Old 11-12-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get the "..." at the end of the thread title.
Old 11-12-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-12-07, 03:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
I think it's one of those "let's write a story" threads where each of us contributes a sentence.
Old 11-12-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toad
...and boy are my arms tired?!??!?!
Old 11-12-07, 04:29 PM

r.i.p
Old 11-12-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
r.i.p
kanye will be touched when he logs in tonight and reads this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.