Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC Green Week - how much of a joke was it?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So not only does NBC/Universal get a large number of their primetime shows to include a green theme and adjust as many colors as possible to be green (logos), but the biggest joke came this morning on the TODAY show... they trounced the Rockerfeller Center Christmas tree out. So how green are they trying to be when they cap off the week my chopping down a massive tree and standing it up next to the NBC building?!?! Yeah, right.

(The saddest part is no one probably even consider this absurdity.)
Old 11-09-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They gave away Hybrid SUVs on the Biggest Loser this week. That was the only time I noticed the Green Week thing.
Old 11-09-07, 11:08 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bit on Earl was funny. Seems like the writers didn't care for the silly green week inclusion.
Old 11-09-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They put the tree up already? That seems really early.
Old 11-09-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing i noticed when watching NBC was the Heroes logo was green instead of red.
Old 11-09-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
This was laughably bad. I think the worst was during a commercial break on "Heroes" they showed a clip of the guy who plays Sylar planting a tree and he says something like "my character wants to destroy the planet; I want to save it." *groooooooan*

Originally Posted by Flay
The bit on Earl was funny. Seems like the writers didn't care for the silly green week inclusion.
I thought that scene was a nice dig at this stunt.
Old 11-09-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think it was a joke at all. Anything done to improve environmental awareness is A-ok with me.
Old 11-09-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what NBC's parent company GE is doing to be "green"?
Old 11-09-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most of it was horrible but Earl wins for the best jab at it and not dragging it on. 30 Rock went overboard with it; but it was still a hilarious episode. Scrubs would take second place for the best of the NBC shows for dealing with the situation.

It didn’t bother me as much as it did other but I’m glad it’s over.
Old 11-09-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
It didn’t bother me as much as it did other but I’m glad it’s over.
Same for me. Maybe a better option was to skip including it in the episodes, and just have a little 20 second PSA of the actors in character like Chuck did.

I also only watch NBC for the scripted programming, so I didn't get hit over the head with it as much as viewers of Sunday Night Football and the reality stuff did.
Old 11-09-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
they showed a clip of the guy who plays Sylar planting a tree
That's my point. Showing someone planting a tree meanwhile they chop a huge one down? Isn't that hypocritical?
Old 11-09-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
Same for me. Maybe a better option was to skip including it in the episodes, and just have a little 20 second PSA of the actors in character like Chuck did.
I agree, but with DVRs these days, most people would just fly on by the PSA. I'm surprised that NBC didn't force all shows to have BEE MOVIE references (I know they did it on 30 Rock).
Old 11-09-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
This was laughably bad. I think the worst was during a commercial break on "Heroes" they showed a clip of the guy who plays Sylar planting a tree and he says something like "my character wants to destroy the planet; I want to save it." *groooooooan*
I was skipping through my DVR during Heroes when I thought I saw Sylar for a brief second in the middle of the commercials. It took me a minute or two just to find his little damn cameo and realize that it wasn't part of the show. Damn hippies.
Old 11-09-07, 01:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
30 Rock's green episode was hilarious... the rest?.. eh.
Old 11-09-07, 06:11 PM

The whole "lights out" bit during Sunday Night Football was one of the most ridiculous things, I see what they were trying to do but there are better ways to do it.
Old 11-09-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought it was awesome. It showed just how stupid most of the ideas were. Football commentators in the dark? Crappy little "ideas" on what you can do?

CHANGE THE WORLD, BABY!!!

Just another marketing ploy, and done poorly.
Old 11-09-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
When I'm trying to be green and reduce carbon emission and use less fossil fuels, the first thing I do is fly all the way to Antarctica for a few minute segments about not killing the environment.....and the making the long trip back.
Old 11-09-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not recycling for at least a week now due to this idiotic stunt that brought us the worst episode of 30 Rock ever.

Spoiler:
I threw up when Gore showed up.
Old 11-09-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I wonder what NBC's parent company GE is doing to be "green"?
GE is a major wind turbine supplier.

Of course, there are issues with how much power wind turbines produce (much less than name plate capacity; you have to understand wind statistics). But be that as it may, GE certainly profits from selling them.
Old 11-10-07, 06:19 AM

I wonder how much fuel was burned to send all those reporters/news teams to the ends of the earth for those silly reports on the Today Show.

If they wanted to be green, couldn't they have done it in studio and saved the carbon emissions from all the transportation? Of course not, that wouldn't bring in the great ratings.
Old 11-10-07, 12:42 PM
Banned

Green Week was just NBC's way of saying "We're No. 4!" as many times as possible.
Old 11-10-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Stu 17
I wonder how much fuel was burned to send all those reporters/news teams to the ends of the earth for those silly reports on the Today Show.

If they wanted to be green, couldn't they have done it in studio and saved the carbon emissions from all the transportation? Of course not, that wouldn't bring in the great ratings.
Don't worry. They bought carbon credits to offset those trips.

I wish I were joking about that, BTW.
Old 11-10-07, 11:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
but the biggest joke came this morning on the TODAY show... they trounced the Rockerfeller Center Christmas tree out. So how green are they trying to be when they cap off the week my chopping down a massive tree and standing it up next to the NBC building?!?! Yeah, right.
yes, but you do know that they used axes and handsaws to chop it down don't you? no gas powered buzzsaws were used at all.

and for all the trips they took on the Today Show they planted a tree to erase the carbon footprint.

i think the concept was absolutely incredible. the procedures may have been a little silly, but anything they can do just to promote an environmental consciousness about these issues i think is pretty responsible.

i know i didn't give it a second thought until the ads inspired me to have my 1st Annual "Green Week" with my 12th grade Gov/Eco classes. we started with a walking observation inside and outside of my school.

did some activities, discussions, and brainstorm sessions of what it all means and what exactly Global Warming is and the consequences of it.

got a recycle bin for my classroom and trying to get them instituted more in every class. have them question exactly where the recycling bins in the schools already actually go and make sure to track it so it does indeed go to a recycling facility in our town.

all capped off next week with a viewing and after discussion of "An Inconvenient Truth".

just today i started cutting the plastic 6-pack soda holders to ensure protection of animals and better recycling of them.

without this promotion i might not have given it a mere thought...and that would have been sad.
Old 11-11-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Isn't the CW also doing some green themed week?
Old 11-11-07, 07:33 AM

It's weird. I loved the idea of trying to raise environmental awareness, but was actually anti-environment (you know what I mean) during these shows because it felt forced on me. Don't preach to me. If I wanted to be preached at I'd kidnap a preacher.

But seriously, it had the opposite effect on me & I was in favor of the cause to begin with. Does that mean that it was an epic failure?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.