Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kite Runner (Dir. Mar Forster)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw a preview screening of this. Never read the book. Very good film. The story is what makes it. Its been a long time since I have seen a movie relies on a great story. Alot of surprising twists and turns.The kite flying parts were done very well. The cinematography is always great with some really nice shots. Acting is top notch also, especially by the two younger boys. The only thing negative I can say is there are some slow parts and not much replay value for the film. The transition to the US is also pretty fast and I feel there could be alot more there.

8/10
Old 12-30-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Only one post about this film and not one since 11/9!? I just got back from seeing it and expected a thread with at least a few comments. Anyway, what a wonderful wonderful film experience this was. Just beautiful. If you liked "Cinema Paradiso", "Life is Beautiful" and "The Italian", you will enjoy this. Not the same theme as those, of course. But has that overall feel and effect. My rating: **** out of ****
Old 12-30-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was ok; saw it a few months ago and then for a second time over Xmas and my opinion hasn't changed. The stuff that is only somewhat corny in the book ("For you, a thousand times over!") comes across much cornier when uttered by a live person in the movie, and likewise the more improbable moments from the novel are even more blatantly unlikely on-screen (the entire third act). I also wasn't terribly impressed by the lead, I didn't think he really emitted much presence. Enjoyed the father though, he by far was my favorite character and was portrayed exactly how I saw him in my head.

For fans of the book, it's worth seeing I suppose but a rental will do the trick fine.
Old 12-31-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this last week and loved it. What an great story, good character development, and it packs quite an emotional punch. I had to fight back tears several times.
Old 01-01-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing this, but the book was one of the few to make me cry so who knows if the film will be as powerful
Old 01-04-08, 01:52 PM

i saw this movie and it was sooo good! i read the book before, so it was hard to watch the movie and not think of what was going to happen. it was def. a good watch! the book is better though...
Old 01-04-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Not really interested in a movie where a little boy gets raped.
Old 01-04-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981

Well, if that's the only thing you'll get out of the movie, then maybe you should pass.
Old 01-04-08, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by starseed1981
For someone that has Blades of Glory in your Top 10 movies of 2007 you really have no room to talk.
Old 01-06-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"The Kite Runner" tells of a story between 2 boys, Amir and Hassan, who grow up in the same Afghanistan household since Amir's father appears to be middle-class and can afford to take on Ali (Hassan's father) as a servant for their house and property, and Ali and Hassan are considered Hazara, a lower class of people in their land. The friendship between Amir and Hassan is wonderful to see unfold as they watch movies together at theaters, Amir reading stories to Hassan, and do well in kite-fighting competitively, although things happen that change them forever, the story told stirred many emotions within me, mining the inner turmoil and guilt that Amir felt both as a small boy and a young man in newfound circumstances.

Director Marc Forster and screenwriter David Benioff pull off a wonderful cinematic treatment of the story at hand, poignantly simple, but requires such a deft touch to retain the themes and subtext of one's place in this world (given one's heritage and station in life), and the value of family, and drawing the line in the sand when the situation arises and courage is called upon to do right in the face of malevolence.

The final act gets a little hairy in terms of plausibility of the plot progression, but the overall thematic character development is enough to justify it.

It's worth seeing in the theaters.

I give it 3.75 stars or a grade of A-.
Old 01-06-08, 09:57 AM

Loved it. Very emotionally involving. I haven't seen this film bandied about on the Oscar blogs about getting a Best Picture nomination, but I would not be surprised to see this as a nominee. This is the type of film that voters go for. Remember "Cider House Rules," "Life is Beautiful" and "Il Postino"? My prediction is "The Kite Runner" receiving four Oscar noms: Picture, Director, Screenplay, Original Score.

Last edited by Tarnower; 01-06-08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 11:28 AM

I actually found this movie to be emotionally uninvolving. I found the book to be incredible powerful, but the movie didn't affect me nearly as much. I guess I'm in the minority here.

Last edited by Draven6593; 01-06-08 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's a point at the beginning of the 3rd act where the film just falls into place, and I just wanted to curl myself into a ball and have a good cry, but I was in a movie theater and just had to man up and maintain some semblance of control.
Old 01-06-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Maudlin, self-important Oscar bait.

The father was great but his grown son barely registered.
Old 01-06-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarnower
My prediction is "The Kite Runner" receiving four Oscar noms: Picture, Director, Screenplay, Original Score.
As someone who follows the awards races quite closely, I can say with some confidence that it's not going to get nominated anywhere significant. It might get a nod for score, but that's about all I can see at this point. The reviews are lukewarm, it all seems very exploitative, and it's overt Oscar bait.