Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Clive Barker "Mister B. Gone"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 11-05-07, 09:41 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

In stores now...and apparently this marks the return of Clive Barker...anyone concur?

Old 11-05-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking about picking that up soon.
Old 11-05-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
I certainly hope so. I haven't been interested in Clive's fiction for roughly 15 years. But I was a huge fan in the late '80s and early '90s. I have somewhat high hopes for Mister B. Gone. It's in my to-read pile, but I don't think I'll get to it for a while. I look forward to reviews here...
Old 11-05-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW, my mom won't be happy to hear about "the return" of Clive Barker. Every time I talk to her about books, she asks me when the 3rd Abarat book is coming out.
Old 11-05-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Clive was on Craig Ferguson's show promoting this book and it sounds wild.

Clive's voice.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jnA03Qq-KN8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jnA03Qq-KN8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-06-07, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to his voice?
Old 11-06-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read the first 20 pages. This book is a trip so far.
Old 11-07-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not really horror though. I don't know how it compares with Barker's other books, this is his only adult fiction book I've read, but it's like Super-Ultra-Dark Comedy/Fantasy. Some parts are kind of horrific I suppose, but the way it's written is not really suspenseful or edge-of-your-seat scary.
Old 11-08-07, 01:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cigars?

Originally Posted by killershark
What happened to his voice?
I remember hearing him interviewed in the UK in the late 80s or early 90s and don't remember him sounding at all like that. He had a mid-atlantic accent then, from which it was difficult to discern his Liverpudlian origins.

In this interview from 2001 the reporter writes of Barker having a voice "[....] as murky as the sea bottom" and in the same interview, his editor spoke of "that scratchy cigar-smoking voice" so I'm assuming that it has been like that for a while!

Compare & contrast:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxNe8DmdyJs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxNe8DmdyJs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-08-07, 03:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've noticed his voice going downhill for awhile.

Just recently, watching 1986 footage of him being interviewed for Hellraiser, then listening to his 1995 commentary for the Laserdisc, and then his 2000-something commentary for the DVD, you could really hear a difference, specifically between 1995 and 2000. The difference from 1986 to 1995 could be chalked up to age.

I'm pretty sure it's because he smokes (cigars). I don't know if it's throat cancer yet, but sounds well on its way.
Old 11-08-07, 11:07 PM

Wow,

saw him years ago at Dragon Con. The guy sounds like he's 85 years old now. It's sad, I hope he gets checked for cancer yearly at least.
Old 11-10-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
in that first interview with craig ferguson, Clive mentioned the books of blood movie. Does anyone know if this is gonna be a miniseries or something? I've read all three volumes of the series and they're some of my favorite short stories.
Old 11-20-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Linn1
saw him years ago at Dragon Con. The guy sounds like he's 85 years old now. It's sad, I hope he gets checked for cancer yearly at least.

Yikes! I hope he's okay. He aapears to be energetic and in good spirits on the Ferguson interview, but age couldn't have done that kind of damage. Not at 55. I'm a few Barker books behind, but this new one sounds worth skipping the others for.
Old 11-30-07, 10:51 PM

Book Review

Mister B Gone is not one of Clive's best books.

It's incredibly sparse, particularly for the normally prolfiic Barker. This book feels like a filler that probably took him less than a month to write.

There is some playful cleverness, but it's overt and predictable. It seems that one of the overall themes of the book is an idictment against publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if his future books aren't from another company.

One aspect I did enjoy was his return to some visceral gore. There are some great descriptions of depravity that have been lacking in his most recent works. Perhaps that's where the whole "return of Clive Barker" is coming from.

Overall though, it's not a very fulfilling read. I finished it in about 3 or 4 hours of reading. Maybe it would have impressed me more if I didn't have an inflated expectation of Clive. I just expect more from him than this.

It wasn't a *bad* book, but it was extraordinarily mediocre. It relied on gimmic over content.
Old 12-10-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the book a lot until the last third or so. Then the suspense is unfortunately going away.
But I still have to pick those Abarat books soon.
Old 12-29-07, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
in that first interview with craig ferguson, Clive mentioned the books of blood movie. Does anyone know if this is gonna be a miniseries or something? I've read all three volumes of the series and they're some of my favorite short stories.
There is a version of his short story The Midnight Meat Train(if I remember the title right)coming out.I've seen the trailer for it.