Smallville -- "Lara" -- 11/01/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Smallville -- "Lara" -- 11/01/07

"Lara"
Spoiler:
Kara goes to Washington to look for her missing crystal, but is captured after she breaks into the lab. She's sedated with a truth serum that has kryptonite in it, which makes her relive a trip to Earth from the past. In this past trip she followed Lara, Clark's biological mother, to the Kent's farm. Clark saves Kara, but also ends up being affected by the serum when he burns it with his heat vision.

First Aired: Thursday November 1, 2007
Old 11-01-07, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The guest star tonight is
Spoiler:
Helen Slater.
Old 11-01-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
"Lara"
Spoiler:
Kara goes to Washington

First Aired: Thursday November 1, 2007
Will Senator Kent be making an appearance?
Old 11-01-07, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm usually a passive watcher of the show - meaning i'm doing other things but it's on the tv - but tonights guest star makes me
Spoiler:
Old 11-01-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode. Even a mention of Summerholt, whoa.

Also loved Lex' complete owning of Lionel in their ending scene. 'I learned from watching you with mom.' OUCH!
Old 11-01-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whoa, Helen Slater is still hot.

The episode felt a little clumsy, plus, how do you keep that government dude quiet after all that he deduced and confirmed with the use of kryptonite on Kara and Clark? Or did Lionel kill him?
Old 11-01-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I took it that Lionel killed him. I think Lionel would do anything to protect Clark, and now Kara.

Great episode. Opening on Krypton, pretty cool encounter between Kara and the jet. No freak of the week, and during the bonus clip, an indication that Brainiac will be back. Also, a mention of what would become Brainiac during the Lara/Kara flashback. And Clark showing the crystal to Lana. Obviously wants her help to bring you know who back.

A lot of stuff this episode. I really liked it.
Old 11-01-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

excellent stuff. i too wasn't sure if lionel killed him or what. clark showing lana the crystal will probably be a mistake IMO. i would certainly let kara man-handle me!
Old 11-01-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
great episode indeed. wonder how lana will do things - I just hope it won't be worse than the witch thing.
Old 11-02-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay - I can't believe it! This season is managing to SUSTAIN the arc and we're six episodes it. Please, please, PLEASE keep it up writers!

Would love James Marsters to return!!!
Old 11-02-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Great episode. But I still really despise Lana.
Old 11-02-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like the story ... but

Some of the acting was just horrendous. No wonder Helen Slater's acting career never took off. When Clark and Kara are together, the show is reduced to statues reading lines from a children's book.

On the other hand ..

Chloe and Jimmy really bring the show much needed warmth. And of course Lex and Lionel are great.

I am enjoying the season and will keep watching, but some scenes are really cringe worthy.
Old 11-02-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Great episode. But I still really despise Lana.
Then you're gonna LOVE next week's Lana-centric episode!
Old 11-02-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was very surprised that it was Clark that stole the crystal... or rather that he didn't tell Kara about it. He had obviously taken it before she was captured and he learned about his mom, so aside from more knowledge about Krypton he had no reason to keep it... perhaps he would have given Kara the crystal if he had not learned about his mom.

From the scenes for next week's episode:
Spoiler:
haven't they done the lightning-power-switch thing before? Back in season 1 or 2 I think. Clark was hit by power lines or lightning or something with another guy who got his powers. They are always coming up with some way to get Clark's powers into someone else! (Or in this case re-hashing an old way)... It should be interesting to see Lana use her powers for evil.
Old 11-02-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
This is the last Smallville episode for me. Clark Kent is going to try and resurrect his dead mother that he never even met? Supergirl was the one who named him as a baby? It's a violation of the Superman character that I just can't accept. I hope the next time a Superman show makes it to air(after Smallville is mercifully ended) that the hacks at the WB network don't get their hands on it and it goes to a real network.
Old 11-03-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is the last Smallville episode for me. Clark Kent is going to try and resurrect his dead mother that he never even met? Supergirl was the one who named him as a baby? It's a violation of the Superman character that I just can't accept. I hope the next time a Superman show makes it to air(after Smallville is mercifully ended) that the hacks at the WB network don't get their hands on it and it goes to a real network.
I agree it's a little far out there but if you are that inherent on the show strictly following the Superman mythos then you could've dropped the show in it's first season for violations.

Also, the show hasn't been on the WB for two years. And if you are gonna start bashing the WB I'd love for a thread to be started on that topic. Lot's of Buffy & Angel fanatics around here.

Well to each his own.
Old 11-04-07, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C-Mart
I was very surprised that it was Clark that stole the crystal... or rather that he didn't tell Kara about it. He had obviously taken it before she was captured and he learned about his mom, so aside from more knowledge about Krypton he had no reason to keep it...
How did he steal it? Was it shown and we missed it?
Old 11-04-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
How did he steal it? Was it shown and we missed it?
it was assumed that he took it. he showed it to lana at the end of the episode, but they never actually showed how he got it.
Old 11-04-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Lionel still has the means to get things done, i.e. possibly steal the crystal. It just doesn't seem like something Clark would do. Or maybe Clark enlisted Oliver or Bart to swipe it since their moral standards aren't as high. Oliver is set to return soon, so that seems plausible.

Originally Posted by Ayre
I really like the story ... but

Some of the acting was just horrendous. No wonder Helen Slater's acting career never took off. When Clark and Kara are together, the show is reduced to statues reading lines from a children's book.

On the other hand ..

Chloe and Jimmy really bring the show much needed warmth. And of course Lex and Lionel are great.

I am enjoying the season and will keep watching, but some scenes are really cringe worthy.
Well there is a wide variety of acting abilities on this show.

You can always count on 'group A:' Lex, Lionel, Martha, & Chloe(and previously Jonathan) to bring their "A-game."

In group B, you have Lana, Lois & Kara who seem to bring in the B movie status acting and were obviously hired on looks not ability.

Jimmy, Oliver and Clark are hit or miss. It seems to be that if they are on screen with anyone in group A then their acting improves and scenes are better because of it. On the other hand, the bar is lowered when they are on screen with anyone in group B and scenes/dialog becomes cringe-worthy.

Just a theory.
Old 11-04-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Good episode.

Very impressed with the backstory and the memory scenes. I think they were handled very well. I was surprised by the reference to Kandor and the portals. I'm curious of Kara's father had something to do with Braniac being altered?

I don't recall if anybody answered my question a few weeks back, but I thought the Fortress was dead. But in one of the eps this season Clark was up there and Jor-El was telling him not to trust Kara. Perhaps Lara will bring the Fortress back to full life and be the new essence via the crystal?

Still not very impressed with Lana. I think I've felt that 90% of her scenes from day 1 have felt forced and her story just tacked on. Conversely, I think the writers have done a very good job with stringing out Clark's story and showing us his gradual advancement to his destiny.

Speaking of which, I'd really like to see a couple of TV movies after the series finishes, since I'm farily certain this group will never be a big screen incarnation of the Superman mythos.
Old 11-05-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dunno if anybody has seen it but apparently there is an interview with James Marsters in a Boston Globe magazine where he confirms this is the final season of Smallville.
Old 11-05-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I thought that was already common knowledge?
Old 11-05-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Dunno if anybody has seen it but apparently there is an interview with James Marsters in a Boston Globe magazine where he confirms this is the final season of Smallville.
It needs to be. With an early JLA forming, and Kara in town, Clark is just one push away to being Supes.

And, providing there are enough scripts to get us to the end
Old 11-05-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Well I think the question remains since the writers/creators have said there may be an 8th. Plus I think everybody BUT Rosenbaum is signed through 8 seasons.
Old 11-05-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well there is a wide variety of acting abilities on this show.

You can always count on 'group A:' Lex, Lionel, Martha, & Chloe(and previously Jonathan) to bring their "A-game."

In group B, you have Lana, Lois & Kara who seem to bring in the B movie status acting and were obviously hired on looks not ability.

Jimmy, Oliver and Clark are hit or miss. It seems to be that if they are on screen with anyone in group A then their acting improves and scenes are better because of it. On the other hand, the bar is lowered when they are on screen with anyone in group B and scenes/dialog becomes cringe-worthy.

Just a theory.
I agree with your theory and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.