Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread - Part VIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toad
I got Mario/Sonic at Olympics today at Best Buy. (The guy literally grabbed it off of the truck).
Any impressions on it yet? I'm really looking for the fun of Decathlete/Winter Heat and/or the original Track and Field.
Old 11-08-07, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Apparently some new Wii channel is going to be released on Nov. 11 in the U.S. It'll allow people to view and trade Miis, have contests (Abe Lincoln, etc.), and other things.
I've been waiting for this. Glad to hear there's a date for it. Plus, it's free! Sounds like a fun diversion.

No doubt the first contest will be to design a Mario.

Here's a description from Nintendo:
In the Posting Plaza, users can submit, exchange or just browse Miis posted by others in their region or worldwide. The channel offers the ability to look at a random selection of 1,000 Miis or to see just the current or all-time favorites. Players have a variety of ways to search for specific Miis, including by the name of its creator or by a number specific to each Mii. Once users have found that "special Mii," they can even tag their favorites or import them to their own Wii systems.

The contest section of the Check Mii Out Channel challenges users to submit Mii creations to represent a specific person, character or theme. These could include historical figures (Abraham Lincoln or Vincent Van Gogh), fictional characters (the Tooth Fairy or the New Year's Baby) or descriptive themes ("the biggest bully ever" or "the overbearing boss"). Users can then vote on Miis submitted by others to determine the Mii that best fits the challenge. Each contest will generally last two weeks: one for creating and submitting Miis, and the second week for people to vote on the results.
Press release: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=13972
Old 11-08-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
Any impressions on it yet? I'm really looking for the fun of Decathlete/Winter Heat and/or the original Track and Field.
My VERY early impression is...I hope it's more fun to play with other people, and it's REALLY tiring to pump your arms so violently.

It looks great. The world records thing is cool - you can upload your records and see where you rank worldwide.
Old 11-08-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
My VERY early impression is...I hope it's more fun to play with other people, and it's REALLY tiring to pump your arms so violently.

It looks great. The world records thing is cool - you can upload your records and see where you rank worldwide.
I'm waiting to see what Rayman2 is like next week before I decide whether to get that or Mario&Sonic.
Old 11-08-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, I should probably rent it and see what I think. I'm sure my kids will love it, regardless of how much they will suck.
Old 11-08-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also gotta say I feel like the controls are VERY non-responsive. You drum to run and no matter how fast I drummed, I'd so slow. But, if I shook them like I was having a seizure, I'd get 1st place.

I don't like mimicing a seizure.
Old 11-08-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
I'm sure my kids will love it, regardless of how much they will suck.
That's not a nice thing to say about your kids!
Old 11-08-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
For those that care, I called Nintendo about Fire Emblem. They do not know if they will fix the glitch for importing save data from Path of Radiance. It was a programing error due to the different names for the difficulty levels in Japan. It doesn't occur if you delete off your easy mode save data. I may do that as I cleared it on Normal as well, but my character data was much better on Easy.

Anyway they are taking phone numbers and emails from everyone that calls in and will contact us if they decide to replace the disc or if they can figure out some sort of workaround. They didn't think a patch would work on the Wii.

I was a bit put off by the response. Sounds like they will see how many complaints they get and if they feel its worth it they will fix the problem. This game is not for their casual market so they probably don't expect it to sell or care about pissing off the small amount of people it happens to. Not very encouraging. If this was a 360 title it would be taken seriously and patched.
Old 11-08-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn that sucks about the fire emblem bug. I still haven't opened my copy of Fire Emblem for the GC so I have a while before I pick up the Wii version... I have too many damn gamecube games that are still factory sealed.
Old 11-08-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IGN.com has posted their review of Medal Of Honor Heroes 2.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833766p1.html

They give the game a 8.4, saying:

"What it comes down to is this: Great Wii games require a ton of passion and effort on the part of the developers. Rather than shoving something simple and thrown together onto a successful console, teams need to step up and put in the extra effort and fine-tuning that it takes to make something that really works on Wii. EA and Team Fusion were willing to go the extra mile on Nintendo’s console, and the end result is the best controlling shooter on the system, Prime 3 included. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 sets the bar for control, customization, and pure FPS gameplay on Wii - designers take note."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like I'm going to be picking this up! They actually say it controls better than Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. That's HUGE!
Old 11-08-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So many Wii games that I want right now...

Mario Galaxy
Zack and Wiki
Medal of Honor: H2
Geometry Wars
Raving Rabbids 2
BWii
Umbrella Chronicles

And I'm at least mildly interested in Mario and Sonic Olympics and Nights.

AND I still haven't opened Mario Strikers.
Old 11-09-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rent Olympics first...

Medal of Honor sounds awesome. The video of the on-line multiplayer gameplay looks great, too. Amazing that EA could do it, after the crappy on-line Madden they threw out. Hopefully the EA Nation doesn't have as many flaws, but with drop-in/drop-out (if indeed it has it), it won't be an issue. If someone else disconnects, someone else can drop on in.

Here's to some good CTF games!!
Old 11-09-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
That's not a nice thing to say about your kids!
HAHA, the ones that will play it range in age from 9 to almost 4. I guess for their ages they will probably be pretty good, but, compared to a gamer my age they'll be sucktastic.
Old 11-09-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this cool screen posted over on NeoGAF boards:

Nice.
Old 11-09-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did Japan ever get the US SMB2?
Old 11-09-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Did Japan ever get the US SMB2?
Yes, it was called Super Mario USA and it sold about twenty times as well as Doki Doki Panic.
Old 11-09-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I meant on the VC. I just noticed it wasn't in the above shot.

Edit: Decided to check wiki and it looks like they got it back in August (10/08 to be precise ). I guess that Wii owner hates it or is embarrassed to have it on that pic.

Last edited by pinata242; 11-09-07 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Sorry, I meant on the VC. I just noticed it wasn't in the above shot.
Checking Wikipedia Japan, I can confirm that they have, on 08/10.
Old 11-09-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by CreatureX
Saw this cool screen posted over on NeoGAF boards:

Nice.
It would be cooler if they were in order from Mario Galaxy -> backwards.
Old 11-09-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This Medal of Honor Heroes game is getting some great reviews. I simply cannot wait to play a good FPS online game. I hope it's deep enough - I think I read there are only 6 maps.

But you get deathmatch, team deathmatch, and CTF. All good in my book.

Can't wait!
Old 11-09-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Edge magazine has some interesting news on Animal Crossing Wii.

A Japanese source has confirmed to Edge that the upcoming Wii iteration of Animal Crossing is set to be a social networking MMO
source: Joystiq.com
Old 11-09-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmmm I doubt Nintedo can pull this off considering their idiot friendcode system.
Old 11-10-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They'll just be relatively smaller networks I guess? Or maybe, if it uses a completely icon driven chat system, then Nintendo will consider it safe enough for children to access.
Old 11-10-07, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

RE: Umbrella Chronicles got 8,8,8,8 in Famitsu.
Old 11-10-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I just got a Wii....had GameRush credit left and they had one in-stock. Now, I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. I'm sure I will play it on a limited basis, but still should b efun....the wife might like it.

Thus far, I got the Wii and a Nunchuck. I will also get Wii Play for the extra remote. I also ordered a Wii Component cable from Monoprice.com

What else do I need?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.