Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dave Matthews Band

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave Matthews Band

Who loves this band? I've been a fan since I heard a remix on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, which caused me to pick up Everyday which had the original 'When The World Ends' track, and I fell in love with every track on the album, and now I own every studio album and most of the live albums as well as several bootlegs, and I have seen them at least once a year since then. They have a spectacular stage presence and constantly put out great tracks.

Everyone who knows the music industry knows that if it's summer, it's time to go see Dave Matthews. I just saw them recently at the Hollywood Bowl on the first night (10/1) and they put on another great show with some newer tracks.

I also picked up 'Live At Radio City' with Tim Reynolds, which is phenomenal, another great live acoustic performance. That may be the one that convinces me to get a Blu-Ray player of all videos, since I already have an HD-DVD player and it's not available in HD-DVD.

And lets not forget the excellent solo album 'Some Devil'.

And yet it's completely different from everything I listen to (Bjork, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Deftones, etc.). My friends don't understand but I've also met many people who too feel alienated for their love of DMB. There has to be more of us out there.

Make yourselves known!
Old 10-30-07, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before these Crowded Streets is one of my favorite albums. They've kind of taken a dive of late with Stand Up and such, but I still really like them.
Old 10-30-07, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love all of their albums up to Before These Crowded Streets (and, I suppose, the non-legit Lillywhite Sessions), but their output after that has been mixed. Their studio recordings, in particular, are mixing many of the elements that made them so appealing originally, too far into the background. You could barely hear the sax and violin on Stand Up. Overproduced, would be another way to put it.
-ringding-
Old 10-30-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Love their studio albums through Before These Crowded Streets. After that, not so much. Their live albums (Live Trax) available through their website are fantastic and they're still a GREAT band to see live.
Old 10-30-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The first two albums are absolutely amazing, but for me, they tumble downhill after that. I still like them, but the first two are put em on and leave em on albums, while the others are skippable.
Old 11-11-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree completely with DrRingDing except for the fact that I enoyed every album up to Stand Up. That's has to be his worst to date but there were a few good nuggets. These same tracks live sound miles ahead of their studio cuts.

I've also picked up Live Trax and have dozens and dozens of live shows that I have downloaded. I probably have over 50 DMB CDs.
Old 11-11-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I like the Band part, but not the Dave Matthews part. I can't stand his voice/singing style.
Old 11-11-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The first three "big" albums are really good, the early stuff is good, and the output from the Lillywhite Sessions is also good. But I have to say that I haven't been especially exicted about any of their stuff since I left college.
Old 11-12-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Who loves this band? I've been a fan since I heard a remix on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack

whoa! you've been a fan for, like, forever!

all kidding aisde, i agree with the sentiment here. I really didn't care for Stand Up. I liked some stuff on Busted Stuff, but overall, they haven't been that great since Before These Crowded Streets.

Crash, however, could be one of my all-time favorite albums. I could listen to the intro alone of "Two Step" for hours.
Old 11-12-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
The first three "big" albums are really good, the early stuff is good, and the output from the Lillywhite Sessions is also good. But I have to say that I haven't been especially exicted about any of their stuff since I left college.
Agree. I even liked Dave's solo album, but absolutely nothing on their recent album made me want to buy it. Blech.
Old 11-12-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lump me in with the "Before These Crowded Streets" and earlier crowd. I also love the Lillywhite Sessions.
Old 11-12-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
the Lillywhite Sessions were SO MUCH better than Busted Stuff.