Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC Announces "Shrek the Halls" for Nov 28th

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC Announces "Shrek the Halls" for Nov 28th

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20071029abc02

ABC ANNOUNCES A NEW HOLIDAY TREAT -- DREAMWORKS ANIMATION'S "SHREK THE HALLS," STARRING THE VOICES OF MIKE MYERS, EDDIE MURPHY, CAMERON DIAZ AND ANTONIO BANDERAS, AIRING NOVEMBER, 28 ON ABC

"'Twas the night before Christmas

And not a swamp rat did creep

As mother and babe played kazoo in their sleep."

From "Shrek the Halls"

ABC, home of the beloved Christmas classics "A Charlie Brown Christmas," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and others that have delighted generations, adds an instant classic to its holiday repertoire in November sweeps DreamWorks Animation's "Shrek the Halls," a half-hour of entertainment starring America's favorite ogre and his friends and featuring the voices of Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and Antonio Banderas. "Shrek the Halls" airs WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 28 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Just when Shrek thought he could finally sit back, relax and enjoy his happily ever after with his new family, the most joyous of all holidays arrives. It's Christmas Eve and everyone is filled with holiday cheer -- except for Shrek. He isn't exactly the picture of yuletide joy, but for the sake of Fiona and the kids, he tries to get into the spirit of things as only an ogre can. Unfortunately, everyone seems to have their own ideas about what Christmas is all about, so when Donkey, Puss In Boots, Gingerbread Man and the whole gang try to join in on the fun, Shrek's plans for a cozy family celebration end up spiraling into one truly unforgettable Christmas.

DreamWorks Animation's most successful franchise to date, the "Shrek" series began with the groundbreaking, Academy Award?-winning feature, "Shrek," based on the popular children's book by William Steig. The sequel, "Shrek 2," proved even more successful at the box office, practically doubling the worldwide box office take of the original to become the third-highest-grossing film of all time. "Shrek the Third," the latest installment, recently wrote box office history by scoring the biggest opening weekend ever for an animated film, and has grossed nearly $800 million at the worldwide box office to date. "Shrek the Third" will be available on DVD and HD-DVD on November 13, 2007.

"Shrek the Halls" is written by Gary Trousdale & Sean Bishop and Theresa Cullen & Bill Riling, produced by Gina Shay and Teresa Cheng and directed by Gary Trousdale. Executive Producer is Aron Warner.
It's interesting that all of the high profile actors are participating in this. They must have been paid a lot of $$$ for probably a couple of days work.

Chris
Old 10-29-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I like how that article says ABC adds "an instant classic." Shouldn't we wait to see it before we call it a classic? Millions may tune in out of curiousity, but it could still turn out to be crap.
Old 10-29-07, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I like how that article says ABC adds "an instant classic." Shouldn't we wait to see it before we call it a classic? Millions may tune in out of curiousity, but it could still turn out to be crap.
Come on, Eddie Murphy doing something that is crap? Ridaculous.

Chris
Old 10-29-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very surprised that ABC, whose parent company is Disney, is showing this crap! Funny how that works.
Old 10-29-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait!
Old 10-30-07, 02:58 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
There was a huge quality drop between Shrek parts 1 and 2 which I enjoyed and three which was abysmal. They should focus their resources on improving the movies.
Old 10-30-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt

Can't wait!
How can you not love it, ITS GOT JEFFERSON STARSHIP!
Old 10-30-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Not just Jefferson Starship, but...

THE JEFFERSON STARSHIP!
Old 10-30-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by g
There was a huge quality drop between Shrek parts 1 and 2 which I enjoyed and three which was abysmal. They should focus their resources on improving the movies.
I think that the huge drop in quality was between 2 and 3. The original was the best, the second was pretty good, the third was mind-blowingly bad.
Old 10-30-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UAIOE
No Jefferson Airplane = No Sale!
Old 10-30-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieking
No Jefferson Airplane = No Sale!
No Bea Arthur = No Sale!

Is this going to be an "instant classic" like last year's The Year Without a Santa Claus?
Old 10-30-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It may be decent... It seems to have been a while since theyve put out something like this for Christmas. Ill check it out in hopes of maybe starting a new tradition. Hell if anything, gives me something for the Holiday movie challenge.
Old 10-30-07, 08:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
It may be decent... It seems to have been a while since theyve put out something like this for Christmas. Ill check it out in hopes of maybe starting a new tradition. Hell if anything, gives me something for the Holiday movie challenge.
My thoughts exactly!

About time they try to put something out that is NEW!
Old 10-30-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This gives me an entire month to prepare myself to not watch.
Old 10-30-07, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I'm very surprised that ABC, whose parent company is Disney, is showing this crap! Funny how that works.
Dreamworks is actually only a couple of blocks from where I work here in Glendale. The ABC news studios are right next to their parking structure.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 10-30-07 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by g
I agree with # 1 being very good and # 2 being very bad. I haven't seen # 3 yet and will wait for it on cable.

Regarding improving the movies, with as much money as they are making on them, I doubt they are really worried about the quality.

Chris
Old 10-30-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
This has the potential to be better than the sequels since a story worth 22 minutes will be told in 22... not dragged out for 2 hours
Old 10-30-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
This has the potential to be better than the sequels since a story worth 22 minutes will be told in 22... not dragged out for 2 hours
A common complaint about 3 was that it wasn't long enough

Personally, I liked all 3 Shrek movies although the 3rd one wasn't nearly as good as the first 2. Even still, this might be fun. Surprised it's only a half hour rather then at least an hour though.
Old 10-30-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
A common complaint about 3 was that it wasn't long enough
From whom? Masochists?
Old 10-30-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
From whom? Masochists?
Nope. Not Masochists.
Old 10-31-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
No Bea Arthur = No Sale!
Indeed!

Shrek 1 & 2 were equal in my opinon; I haven't seen Shrek the Third yet (waiting for the DVD). With only an approx. 22 minute run time without commericals, this might not be terrible.

ABC, home of the beloved Christmas classics "A Charlie Brown Christmas," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and others that have delighted generations, adds an instant classic to its holiday repertoire
It might be good, but I don't think it'll be the next A Charlie Brown Christmas or How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Of course, if ABC says it's an instant classic, then it must be...
Old 10-31-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
A common complaint about 3 was that it wasn't long enough.
No. The complaint was that it wasn't funny. Maybe some people thought that it might have more funny jokes in it if it was longer.
Old 10-31-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
No Bea Arthur = No Sale!
Is it sad that I came into this thread only to see if this line had already been taken?
Old 10-31-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
No. The complaint was that it wasn't funny. Maybe some people thought that it might have more funny jokes in it if it was longer.
I didn't hate it or anything, it was still a massive technical achievement with some light humor... but there were no jokes. I don't care how long or short it was, but about 30 minute into it I realized that only the little kids were laughing at Donkey falling down and such.