Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why buy DVDs you don’t enjoy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why buy DVDs you don’t enjoy?

I’ve long held the theory that a certain segment of consumers buy for themselves DVDs of films or television shows that they know they don’t enjoy. This theory was confirmed by a poster in another thread that stated that he’d buy film sequels that he didn’t enjoy, but he wasn’t able to articulate why he wanted to own unenjoyable sequels. So, now I’m wondering if anyone else could shed some light on this for me. I’d really like to hear from someone that buys films they don’t enjoy, but I’m also interested in hearing theories regarding this behavior generally.

In examining this question I’d like to distinguish it from some other questions for which I already have a pretty good answer: (1) why do some people rent or go to see films that they suspect they will not enjoy (they may, for example, go out of social obligation, or to stay current on popular films); (2) why do people buy DVDs for family or friends they would not want to own for themselves (they understand that other people have tastes different than their own); (3) why do people buy films that aren’t entertaining (because the content can be enjoyable for reasons other than pure entertainment value) or (4) why do people have DVDs in their collection that they do not enjoy (blind buy, changed tastes, part of a box set, etc.).

I’d also like to avoid this thread becoming a general J6P bashing thread, so please don’t just respond “because people are idiots.” Also I already understand that some people will be hostile or indifferent to this question from the start, so there’s no need to post that you think this is a stupid question for my benefit.

To get the ball rolling I’ll provide the best rationale that I’ve come up with to date, but I believe it’s at minimum incomplete and could possibly be wrong altogether: This segment of the DVD consumer market is so conditioned to pick up a certain range of product (all films of subgenre X, or all top-ten box office features of genre Y, or all films of actor or director Z, or all sequels to films they enjoyed, etc.) that they continue to do so even when they know that they do not enjoy the content.

So here’s the question again: Why does a certain segment of consumers buy for themselves DVDs of films or television shows that the know they do not enjoy?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 10-29-07 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 08:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
So here’s the question again: Why does a certain segment of consumers buy for themselves DVDs of films or television shows that the know they do not enjoy?
I can't say I have done this often, but, if I see a movie, or tv show on DVD that I'm not quite 100% into, yet it is at a price too good to pass up, I'll likely buy it... because, as I get older, my tastes have changed... and I anticipate it continues to do so.
Old 10-29-07, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This seems to me to be what I'd call a collector mindset, where the ownership and organization of a group of items can provide enjoyment even when the items themselves do not. I'll admit to buying a few titles that I thought were important to have, but I don't buy titles I know I won't ever watch. So far, at least, the forest hasn't overwhelmed the trees. But I can see someone getting to the place where owning a complete specific subset of DVD genre might become a fulfilling goal, or finishing out a sequel series (something I've been tempted to do myself, resisting about half the time).
Old 10-29-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
if I see a movie, or tv show on DVD that I'm not quite 100% into, yet it is at a price too good to pass up, I'll likely buy it... because, as I get older, my tastes have changed... and I anticipate it continues to do so.
So to restate that, you sometimes buy what you don't enjoy if its on sale because you might enjoy it in the future. To tease that idea out a little further I assume your tastes evolve over time through exposure to new things rather than just change randomly or regressively, and that while you can't always be certain of what things you might enjoy in the future that you don't in the present you can be fairly certain of which things you're unlikely to enjoy in the future and that you avoid those. If so, then I expect you'd agree with the summary you buy bargain priced DVDs that you anticipate will fit with your evolving tastes at some point in the future. Have I got that right?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 10-29-07 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by meshershark
TI'll admit to buying a few titles that I thought were important to have,
You thought they were important to have because they were an integral part of a collection, correct? So what you're saying is, I think, essentially supportive of the proposition that I proposed in the forth paragraph of the first post. Is there a way in which you think I got it wrong or my proposition was incomplete, or is there anything more you'd want to say about what motivates you to complete a collection or run when the items you add are not themselves enjoyable (the collector mindset)?
Old 10-29-07, 09:06 AM

Completionism is one. A good example is Transformers: Victory which is an utterly abysmal show, but I'm sticking to it just because without it, my collection wouldn't be complete.

As for standalone movies - well, movies that really ARE bad WILL go, but there are some supposedly great movies I just can't bring myself to enjoy, but I keep them anyway because without them, I'd feel I have no right to call myself a fan of cinema.

People are so quick to dump you into the "Joe six-pack" category.
Old 10-29-07, 09:22 AM

That's a good question. Something I need to think about too. I've got Shrek 1 & 2 but will I go for Shrek 3 even though it wasn't as good? Same thing with Pirates of the Caribbean. I have 1 and 2, but I thought 3 was actually better than 2 and 2 was a gift. So, it has sentimental value. I just bought Transformers even though I find many faults with the film, I still enjoyed all the parts where the Transformers in it, even though the story was lame. However, the Transformers Steelbook added value to the 2 disc special edition for me. The collector in me had to have it. So, while as silly as it sounds, yes, the packaging made a film more enjoyable to own.

I think it is that collector mentality that keeps some of us buying movies we may not enjoy. I am still very selective about my movies. But once a franchise starts, it's hard to stop at just the first one. However, I did limit my Nightmare on Elm Street to just the first one and Halloween to the first one. Also I limited Alien to just the first two, so I guess it can be done!!

I started collecting the Disney Platinum titles when Snow White came out. I have been faithful ever since even though how many times I am going to watch that or Bambi or Peter Pan or Lady and the Tramp, I don't know. I don't have kids. I'm not particularly interested in 101 Dalmations but know that I'll get it just because it's a Platinum title and I have to keep the collection going. Same thing with Pixar movies. I want to collect all of those. Whereas most of those movies are definately keepers and rewatchers some like Bug's Life and Ratatoullie may not be. Will I buy Ratatouille? Probably because I started collecting all Pixar movies and will continue to do so. It's a viscous cycle. And my answer is basically because there are those of us that are just collectors and must complete the collection.
Old 10-29-07, 09:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
So to restate that, you sometimes buy what you don't enjoy if its on sale because you might enjoy it in the future. To tease that idea out a little further I assume your tastes evolve over time through exposure to new things rather than just change randomly or regressively, and that while you can't always be certain of what things you might enjoy in the future that you don't in the present you can be fairly certain of which things you're unlikely to enjoy in the future and that you avoid those. If so, then I expect you'd agree with the summary you buy bargain priced DVDs that you anticipate will fit with your evolving tastes at some point in the future. Have I got that right?
Yep. That's a perfect summary. So, yes, if I see "The Golden Girls - complete series" on sale for $10 bucks, I will most likely NOT purchase it, just because it "seems" to be a good deal. However, I really like Sci-Fi, but have never seen any of the Stargate or Babylon 5 TV series, yet for some reason, what I have seen just hasn't wow'd me enough to go spend a couple of hundred bucks on the entire series sets... however, if I happened to stumble across them for a rediculously cheap price, sure I'll pick them up. Will I end up enjoying them? who knows... if the answer is "no", then it's obviously easier to swallow the less $$ you spent on it. But even this example is just a continuation of a current "taste"... how about this, when I was younger I couldn't stand Westerns... now I sort of, kind of dig them... if I had adopted this "buy wisely for anticipated taste evolution" theory sooner, I would have had some pretty cool westerns in my collection, as I'm sure I've snubbed buying them when on sale in the past. Lastly, I'm really not a big fan of Hitchcock... but I couldn't pass on that Hitchcock 14 movie series that just went on sale for $50 bucks. I know I like horror and thriller movies... I know I like classic films, so it's worth it to me to give it a shot at that price. Besides, I've only, within the last few months finally went HD, and now have a great (to me) 7.1 surround setup and a 56" HD widescreen TV, whereas before I was watching on a clunker of a 27" CRT... my hardward upgrade makes watching ANY movie more entertaining, so that in itself might have to do with my evolution in taste of movies... I'm willing to sit through stuff a bit longer than I would have before, not only because of me changing, but my hardware. Oh, and I also subscribe to the "completist" theory as well...
Old 10-29-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’d also like to avoid this thread becoming a general J6P bashing thread, so please don’t just respond “because people are idiots.” Also I already understand that some people will be hostile or indifferent to this question from the start, so there’s no need to post that you think this is a stupid question for my benefit.
What kind of thread would that be; ruin all the fun!

Actually, and I’m not being a smarta** or a di*kface or any of your usual words you’d associate with scumbags; the reason why I buy films/TV series on DVD even though I may not enjoy/know I won’t enjoy them is because I can.

I have what is known in the DVD collector language, completest syndrome. I’m a huge TV on DVD collector and no matter how bad the series might’ve gotten in its later years; I must own all of the seasons. Same situation with Films; are most of the Halloween movies sh*t?... Yes, but I must own them all. -that's just an example.
Old 10-29-07, 11:17 AM

i think some of it has to do with being elite. but from what ive seen people own certain dvds because the boards tell them its good and if you dont have it your not a true film person.

examples like oldboy, pulp fiction, citizen kane.

also in terms of buying sequels i think for somepeople it might be a wierd thing like "having to own the series" even if most suck, ex. rocky.

i ownly own my favortie rocky's (1,3,6)

but some people might not like the "look" of 1,3,6 on their dvd wall so they buy 2,4,5.
Old 10-29-07, 11:37 AM

I have trouble relating to this thread as 90%+ of my buys are blind buys based on some criteria that has convinced me that I WOULD enjoy them. If I watch them and I don't like it, I sell it... Usually it's films that I did enjoy in the theater, that when I saw them again when I bought the DVD they lost their interest (i.e. I really thought 28 days later was great when I saw in 'live', but wasn't very impressed when I saw it again on DVD and immediately sold it).

I suppose I may have a few discs that I keep around that I didn't like but think "hmm. maybe I need to give it another chance.' Sometimes seeing it again later (e.g. months even years) changes my perspective. But frequently by then a new edition comes out : ) Definitely only a small fraction of my collection. Nowadays if I really don't like the film the first time I see it on DVD, I sell it. Have too many films to watch anyhow.. No great loss.

Some films I have bought because they seemed no-brainers (3rd man, dead-reckoning) but I found these films boring, predictable with no repeat value.. and I probably am in the minority for hating that blasted zither music theme! But had not qualms about selling it (for a nice price, too) and get something that I did enjoy.

Not sure this helps the thread, but hey - it's here now anyway!
Old 10-29-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Steve
Not sure this helps the thread
I'm not sure either since what you're referring to is a different issue that I specifically distinguished here:

In examining this question I’d like to distinguish it from some other questions for which I already have a pretty good answer . . . (4) why do people have DVDs in their collection that they do not enjoy (blind buy. . .)
Old 10-29-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why are so negative man, why don't you dump all your dvd's in a lake.
Old 10-29-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Knives
Why are you posting, and when will do you except to quit posting?
Yakuza Bengoshi you don't seem to enjoy dvds anymore. Do you have depression?
Why are so negative man, why don't you dump all your dvd's in a lake.
Knives, I appreciate you really want my attention, and I'm willing to humor you, but you've got to give me something more to work with.
Old 10-29-07, 02:21 PM

Seems like you already dumping most of your movies you own on the Dvd Exchange section.

Last edited by Knives; 10-29-07 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Seems like you already dumping most of your movies you own on the Dvd Exchange section.
Okay, I suppose I could understand how it might seem that way if you were mathematically challenged. Anything more you need from me or have I given you enough attention for today?
Old 10-29-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only time I might buy DVDs that I don't enjoy that much would be sequels to complete a series. For whatever reason that seems to bother me and I have to own them all at some point. Jaws series, Superman, etc.
Old 10-29-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Completeism (word?). For example I wasn't a big fan of Spider-Man 3 but I will buy it to complete the series. However, I still enjoyed SM3 but I don't see myself watching it more than once. Another example would be with Pi. I enjoyed that movie plenty but the only reason I own it is because I wanted to collect all Darren Aronofsky films. I want to part with it on the exchange forum but I can't get myself to bite the bullet for that reason.
Old 10-29-07, 03:48 PM

Oh you mean like Steel Angel Kurumi, and Comic Party things you own right.
Old 10-29-07, 03:55 PM

I don't. Although I might buy something to complete a series. The other situation would be buy something that my daughters might like. I bought Dirty Dancing for $4 because I'm sure they will like it in a few years even though I can't stand it. But for the most part I only buy something I like and that I would expect to want to watch again int he future.
Old 10-29-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh you mean like Steel Angel Kurumi, and Comic Party things you own right.
I thought we covered all that in the other thread in which you keep trying to get my attention:

If you paid as much attention to my post as you seem to have done to my DVD collection you'd see that I referred to Oceans 13 and Rush Hour 3 as mediocre. I said nothing about Rush Hour 1 and 2. It seems to me your confusion is based on a belief that Rush Hour 1-3 are some kind of inseparable trilogy and if one likes and owns 1 or 1-2, one must own all three for completeness sake. I suppose, in large part, it’s consumers like you that we have to thank for the endless parade of sequels: why deal with any new cinematic experiences when one can have more of the same.

All that said, I'll now agree with you that I consider Rush Hour 1 and 2 mediocre too. They were a blind buy bundle in late 2001 or early 2002. I've also bought plenty of DVDs over the past seven years that weren't blind buys that I would now call mediocre and not buy now were I to have it to do over again, and beyond those blind buys and bad buys I've also picked up a few DVD lots for resale here and there and they're in my collection too though I'll never watch them (see e.g., all the sealed anime titles I’m trying to unload in my trade thread). You’ll find Rush Hour 1 & 2 and plenty of those other titles in my for trade thread should you be looking to add some cheap titles to your collection. If on the other hand you'd like to find some films in my collection which I like but which may provide some fodder for your amusement look through the folders divided by year in my collection.

Finally, I'll note again that my second post that you took such exception too that you decided to abandon this thread (but then came back anyway) was intended to question your decision to buy films you didn't much like just so you'd have a complete set. That idea still boggles my mind and you've never bothered to post a response so I put to you directly, why buy films you don't enjoy?
It really is cute that you're so interested in me and all, but at least try to string more than ten or fifteen words together in a cogent argument for your next post or I may stop playing.
Old 10-29-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would you two guys get a room?
Old 10-29-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what is the title of this thesis you are working on yak? :P

lots of good insights here, even if slightly esoteric. although i understand your question is more for the "collector", i didnt read any mention of the idea of "resale". this can include speculation, oop titles, the almighty store exclusives, and so on.
Old 10-29-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
i think some of it has to do with being elite. but from what ive seen people own certain dvds because the boards tell them its good and if you dont have it your not a true film person.

examples like oldboy, pulp fiction, citizen kane.

also in terms of buying sequels i think for somepeople it might be a wierd thing like "having to own the series" even if most suck, ex. rocky.

i ownly own my favortie rocky's (1,3,6)

but some people might not like the "look" of 1,3,6 on their dvd wall so they buy 2,4,5.
That's pretty much how I feel. I'm conservative with my money and don't like clutter around so I'd never buy a dvd that I don't plan on watching more than once. And I could not care less what others think of my collection or whether or not I'm a "real" movie fan.

I've stop buying TV seasons when the show gets to where I don't like (X-Files Season 7 for example) and I would have no problem skipping a middle sequel or even the 1st of a franchise if I didn't like it.

I don't understand why people blow their money on movies they don't like. I understand the collector mentality, but it seems different with movies than real collectibles. And I certainly don't understand people buying a movie because of the number on its spine, which people seem to do with Criterions.

But to each their own.
Old 10-29-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by 7Keys

But to each their own.
Bingo. Now you can close the thread. We've been through this shit for years around here. I understand some of the newbees being silly...but some of the vets?

If only Danol was here. It would all be just like old, classic times.

That said, chew on this:

I own House of Exorcism. I don't care for it much. Now, WHY would I own it? I'll let someone who knows my style tell us.

Sorry about the library link to my collection. Since dvdaf switched over I have not shifted my collection. I'm still in no hurry.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-29-07 at 09:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.