Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "Dennis Looks Like a Registered Sex Offender"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "Dennis Looks Like a Registered Sex Offender"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Dennis Looks Like a Registered Sex Offender" 10/25/07

Spoiler:
Dennis is mistaken for a recently released child molester, but is more upset that the guy is overweight than that he's a sex offender. Meanwhile, Mac tries to bond with his ex-con father, who can't take his eyes off a creeped-out Dee.

Tonight's new episode is followed by a repeat of "Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad".
Old 10-25-07, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like another winner
Old 10-25-07, 10:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
"You don't eat someone because they don't have heroin up their ass!"

Charlie freaking out is the always hilarious.
Old 10-25-07, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
"You don't eat someone because they don't have heroin up their ass!"

Charlie freaking out is the always hilarious.
Awesome. Got the feeling that scene wasn't entirely scripted.
Old 10-25-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't wait.
Old 10-26-07, 12:02 AM
Banned

Hilarious episode. God I love this show.
Old 10-26-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
"You're out there taking all my heat while I'm in here watching The Disney Channel"
Old 10-26-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The part with Charlie screaming in the car was hilarious.

A minor quip: you can't buy wine (or beer, for that matter) in grocery stores in Philadelphia. Didn't take me out of the episode, though. Just thought that I'd throw that out there.
Old 10-26-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
The part with Charlie screaming in the car was hilarious.

A minor quip: you can't buy wine (or beer, for that matter) in grocery stores in Philadelphia. Didn't take me out of the episode, though. Just thought that I'd throw that out there.

That bothered me, too. Not because it was factually inaccurate, but because I can't go to Acme or to WaWa and get a goddamned beer. I have to go to a distributer, take-out bar or the like, and god forbid I get a hankerin' for liquor after 9. Or even worse, I need to get both beer AND liquor, which involves driving to the Distributor, turning around, driving another 10 minutes to the state store....

F-ing PA and their puritanical alcohol laws....

-Doc
Old 10-26-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tell me about it. The only reason why I know about the city's liquor laws is because my best friend lives in Philly. He's got a lot of gripes about the city (he hates it, in fact), but a big one is the hassle in getting alcohol.

Whenever I or other friends from out of state visit, we bring him beer.

I remember being up there for New Year's one year and trying to get stuff for a party that we were going to. Now, with a couple of crowded stores and lots of traffic, that was a freakin' ordeal.

I'd expect these types of laws in small towns, but not a major city. Weird.
Old 10-26-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where'd you get all those jars? I emptied out all the tomato sauce...
Old 10-29-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The scene at the table with Charlie trying to pimp out his whore mother was unbelievably hilarious.
Old 10-29-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tell me about it. The only reason why I know about the city's liquor laws is because my best friend lives in Philly. He's got a lot of gripes about the city (he hates it, in fact), but a big one is the hassle in getting alcohol.

I remember being up there for New Year's one year and trying to get stuff for a party that we were going to. Now, with a couple of crowded stores and lots of traffic, that was a freakin' ordeal.

Well I really like the city itself (astronomical murder rate and inconvenient alcohol polices notwithstanding) but I can totally understand his hatred.

-Doc
Old 10-29-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Well I really like the city itself (astronomical murder rate and inconvenient alcohol polices notwithstanding) but I can totally understand his hatred.

-Doc

I have a friend that's been living in Philly for just over three years now because she goes to school there, and she hates it too. She recently moved, and she loves telling me things about how her old neighborhood is getting worse. Someone beat up and robbed an old woman at 11AM in broad daylight! Someone mugged a guy and killed his dog because he didn't have enough money! Someone broke into an apartment to rob it and murdered the two people that lived there because they were home! Kids were jumping on the SEPTA tracks and throwing rocks at an incoming train!

Philly is a shithole.
Old 10-29-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Don't get me started about PA liquor laws - I spent 4 years of college dealing with that crap. Hell, if anything it encourages binge drinking when you have to buy a case at a time at the distributor.
Old 10-29-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Philly is a shithole.
That reminds me of my single worst Philly experience: some friends and I made the trip for my best friend's birthday last summer. As we were walking around, we saw (and smelled) something sitting in the middle of the sidewalk. Upon closer inspection, it was the bottom half of a gallon milk carton full of liquidy excrement.

I'm used to seeing lots of trash there (it's the dirtiest city I've been to, by far), but that was just sick.

And not to "dump" on Philly more (pun intended), but I laughed when I read this the other day: a recent survey by Travel & Leisure finds Philly residents as the least attractive, least stylish, least active, least friendly, and least worldly.

I'd love to see the Gang respond to this on the show.
Old 10-29-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a friend that's been living in Philly for just over three years now because she goes to school there, and she hates it too. She recently moved, and she loves telling me things about how her old neighborhood is getting worse. Someone beat up and robbed an old woman at 11AM in broad daylight! Someone mugged a guy and killed his dog because he didn't have enough money! Someone broke into an apartment to rob it and murdered the two people that lived there because they were home! Kids were jumping on the SEPTA tracks and throwing rocks at an incoming train!

Philly is a shithole.
PARTS of Philly.

Kensington, Cobbs Creek, Hestonville and Overbrook are as bad as anything you'd find in Detroit or West Baltimore, and it's areas like these where all the crime and murders are happening.

But South Philly, Center City, the Main Line and Manayunk (my humble neighborhood) are all flourishing, upbeat areas with little crime and a high standard of living. Stay out of certain areas and the city's actually quite nice.

And not to "dump" on Philly more (pun intended), but I laughed when I read this the other day: a recent survey by Travel & Leisure finds Philly residents as the least attractive, least stylish, least active, least friendly, and least worldly.
Ho, boy. Once we got started on the "Philly sucks" jag, I knew it was just a matter of time before this was brought up. Again, it depends on what are of the city you are in. If you walk around Rittenhouse Square or Main Street in Manayunk, you will find girls that I would put up against just about any female population in the country. Manayunk is THE place in Philly for 20-something post-grads just starting out. It's an old neighborhood built into the cliffs surrounding the Schuylkill river and it's all narrow streets and 3-story homes which once housed working-class families, but are now chocked-full of 4-6 friends each.

The result of which is:

A) Not a goddamned parking spot in the whole disctrict and

B) Gorgeous former co-eds dressing to impress.

Check out Maxim on-line's rebuttal to the "Ugly Philly" poll for some great examples.

With regard to the moderate intelligence, for some reason PA seems to have been annexed by the south. You've got Pittsburgh to the West, Philly to the East and Scranton to the North, and then in the middle, for some strange reason, you have Pennsyltucky. Don't ask me why. As a result, you don't have to look hard to find some close-minded, undereducated hayseeds scattered among the Philadelphia populace. That being said, it once again depends on the area. The "good" neighborhoods I listed above are very cultured, well read and liberal minded.

As for the unfreindly reception... can't argue it. Philadelphians are by and large A-holes. No getting around it. I think it comes from 27 years without a sports championship. That or always being in New York's shadow. Who knows. Just order a Cheese Steak wit wiz and mutter "fuck the Cowboys" every now and again and you'll make some friends.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 10-29-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
PARTS of Philly.

Kensington, Cobbs Creek, Hestonville and Overbrook are as bad as anything you'd find in Detroit or West Baltimore, and it's areas like these where all the crime and murders are happening.

But South Philly, Center City, the Main Line and Manayunk (my humble neighborhood) are all flourishing, upbeat areas with little crime and a high standard of living. Stay out of certain areas and the city's actually quite nice.

-Doc
My friend didn't live in any of those areas, though. She lived a couple blocks from Lincoln Drive near the Upsal SEPTA station. I think the criminals from Germantown are spreading north.

The thing about Philly crime is that it's random. It's really hard to get murdered in NYC if you're not doing something shady. It's much easier in Philly.
Old 10-29-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend didn't live in any of those areas, though. She lived a couple blocks from Lincoln Drive near the Upsal SEPTA station. I think the criminals from Germantown are spreading north.
Oh well hell, that should get a pass just because of the proximity to a Septa station. Of course there was shite in a jug. I'm surprised there wasn't a river of the stuff spilling out of the bus shelter. As I already said, Manayunk is gorgeous (right off of Lincoln Drive), and yet the Wissihickon station right in Manayunk is a festering drug den that forever smells of piss. Mass transit depots are always sesspools in any city.

The thing about Philly crime is that it's random. It's really hard to get murdered in NYC if you're not doing something shady. It's much easier in Philly.
Can't argue with you. If you're in Kensington, even if you're doing nothing wrong... well, you might get shot.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 10-29-07 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

When I moved to Tennessee, i thought it was weird that you couldn't buy Beer and Liquor/Wine in the same store. Grocery and Convenience Stores sell Beer, Liquor/Package stores sell Liquor/Wine. I'm originally from Louisiana, and the Grocery stores down there have huge walk-in Beer Fridges, and aisles and aisles of Beer/Wine. So i thought the Tennessee law was bizarre.

Then I started travleing to Philly. And started working with people from Philly. I learned all about the beer/liquor laws up there. It hurts my head just thinking about it. So strange.