Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney ws and fs releases, question?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-24-07, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may have already been asked, but does anyone know what the deal is with disney dvds(not the cartoons). Heavyweights and blank check are full screen, and then some I wouldn't expect to be widescreen are(like flight of navigator, hocus pocus) Does anyone know if disney makes these other dvds in full screen, or what is there method behind making certain movies fs and others ws. It is quite annoying.
Old 10-24-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I think it's because there is a belief that kids generally don't care for widescreen. Movies like Heavyweights and Blank Check are considered kiddie or lightweight (ironic, I know) fare that "serious" cinema fans won't raise a stink about not being in widescreen. As for Flight of the Navigator, they probably (rightly) assumed that a good number of the people buying that were going to be adults who grew up with it and now care about OAR.

In some cases though, they have recycled old laserdisc transfers that were only done in fullscreen. I don't know if that's the case with those titles or not.
Old 10-24-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Yeah I bought Blank Check this summer and was disappointed at the full screen presentation, and held off on Heavyweights (on sale this week) for that same reason.

The U.K. versions of Heavyweights and Blank Check are both 16x9 though.
Old 10-25-07, 01:24 AM

Disney needs to release all their movies on DVD in Widescreen no matter if the movie itself is directed towards kids or not. The reason I am saying this is because movies deserve to be released in their original filmed aspect ratio so if a movie is made in fullscreen then it should be on DVD in fullscreen but if not then vice versa. I am glad I got Hocus Pocus on DVD in Widescreen though but Blank Check and some other movies defenitly need a WS release. But I guess it's just the way Disney is always going to be which sucks major monkey balls!
Old 10-26-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I have Heavyweights on laserdisc in widescreen, Blank Check was widescreen on laserdisc too.
Old 10-26-07, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is fact according to many statistical research studies that kids prefer squares instead of rectangles.