Reload this Page >

Before the Rain?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Before the Rain?

Old 10-22-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Before the Rain?

Does anyone perchance know who owns the rights? Is the film tied up or something? You'd think that there'd be a DVD release SOMEWHERE...
Old 10-22-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Universal owns the rights. It took me forever to find that out. Pro-B and I started a petition a long time ago for a DVD release. I've been in contact w/ the director, Milcho Manchevski, from time to time. I got Milcho to contact Criterion over a year ago. A DVD is in production from them but no official announcement yet.

On a side note, Milcho has a new movie out called Shadows.
Old 10-22-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this movie and would love to see it released on DVD. I had to watch it for a film class at University but watching it a few times, just awesome...here's hoping Criterion gets on the HD bandwagon
Old 10-22-07, 04:54 PM
Banned

Same here. I've only seen this movie once, back when it was released to theaters, but it made such a deep impression on me I can still remember it clearly. Powerful stuff.
Old 10-22-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badlieut
Universal owns the rights. It took me forever to find that out. Pro-B and I started a petition a long time ago for a DVD release. I've been in contact w/ the director, Milcho Manchevski, from time to time. I got Milcho to contact Criterion over a year ago. A DVD is in production from them but no official announcement yet.

On a side note, Milcho has a new movie out called Shadows.
Oh, just great. That means that we'll see it aroung the same time as The Woman in Black comes out again. On the 12th of never.

Huh, I didn't know that Manchevski spoke English . It would be great if there was a DVD in production from Criterion, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to see Shadows; I'm guessing that it'll tour the art houses near me, so maybe I'll get to see it. Of course, it'll be almost impossible to convince my dad, whose tastes aren't shall we say, as, um, eclectic as my own, to take me to a film in Macedonian with English subtitles.
Old 12-09-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Oh, just great. That means that we'll see it aroung the same time as The Woman in Black comes out again. On the 12th of never.

Huh, I didn't know that Manchevski spoke English . It would be great if there was a DVD in production from Criterion, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to see Shadows; I'm guessing that it'll tour the art houses near me, so maybe I'll get to see it. Of course, it'll be almost impossible to convince my dad, whose tastes aren't shall we say, as, um, eclectic as my own, to take me to a film in Macedonian with English subtitles.
May is the date from Criterion. Commentary has been recorded. I just have to share my geek moment of MM thanking me for the idea, and for nudging him, and for my support.
Old 12-10-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

May is the date from Criterion. Commentary has been recorded. I just have to share my geek moment of MM thanking me for the idea, and for nudging him, and for my support.
Impressive news!

By the way as a result of our petition I was contacted by the Macedonian Ministry of Culture. Quite a recognition for our efforts on this and other forums.

By the way Badlieut...I think you and I shall kindly request and see if Mr. Manchevski might be willing to sign two Criterions. I would not mind sending him the booklets via Express Mail.

Your thoughts?

Pro-B

edit:
Here's the official site for his latest, Shadows:

http://www.bavaria-film-internationa..._photos&id=236

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-10-07 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Impressive news!

By the way as a result of our petition I was contacted by the Macedonian Ministry of Culture. Quite a recognition for our efforts on this and other forums.

By the way Badlieut...I think you and I shall kindly request and see if Mr. Manchevski might be willing to sign two Criterions. I would not mind sending him the booklets via Express Mail.

Your thoughts?

Pro-B

edit:
Here's the official site for his latest, Shadows:

http://www.bavaria-film-internationa..._photos&id=236

That's cool that you were contacted. Maybe they'll do a follow-up once the release is officially announced. Let me know if they do so I can check out the article.

I agree on the signing. I'm definitely going to ask him when it comes out to sign 1 or 2 for me as well.

Shawdows looks pretty amazing. Has anyone seen it?
Old 12-10-07, 08:39 AM

Nice to hear it will get Criterion treatment. Awesome movie.
Old 12-10-07, 07:11 PM

I've never heard of this film.

Its from Macedonia.

Its director only recently completed a third film.

Blind buy for me.
Old 12-10-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's cool that you were contacted. Maybe they'll do a follow-up once the release is officially announced. Let me know if they do so I can check out the article.
Absolutely.

I agree on the signing. I'm definitely going to ask him when it comes out to sign 1 or 2 for me as well.
Great. I will be willing to pay for the combined shipping. Let's get it done when the disc arrives.

Pro-B