Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Ratchet & Clank Future : Tools Of Destruction -- Game Of the Epoch Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Ratchet & Clank Future : Tools Of Destruction -- Game Of the Epoch Thread

Old 10-19-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

OK, now it's offical that R&C Future is coming on it's original date - 10/23 (instead of being posponed a week), I thought it was time to start a thread for what is sure to be the greatest game in the history of mankind.... okay, truth be told, the demo plays a heck of a lot like the previous games with better graphics. That's more than enough for me, though.

I'm so excited to actually play a game on my PS3 -- I've heard stories that there are other games for the system as well, but I never really believed those rumors before.

The first official review is out : PSM gave it a 9.5. Sounds old-school but awesome. Who else is psyched about this one?
Old 10-19-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering I will probably be picking up an 80GB PS3 soon, I'll be picking up this game as well, more than likely. I've never bothered with the series while it was on the PS2, but I think I'll give it a shot now.
Old 10-19-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the sole game for the PS3 that I have been looking forward to and worry heavily that they'll try to make use of the controller motion control too much and screw it up.
Old 10-19-07, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Considering I will probably be picking up an 80GB PS3 soon, I'll be picking up this game as well, more than likely. I've never bothered with the series while it was on the PS2, but I think I'll give it a shot now.
Best series on the PS2 hands down, IMO (with God Of War a real close second). The 80 GB unit with Motorstorm is $499 as of today; great deal, especially with the new 5 free blu-ray promo.

In their mini-review last month, EGM says the motion controlled stuff works great in this game. I liked that little taste they give you in the demo.
Old 10-19-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally played the demo last night (for about 5 minutes only). I thought it was pretty good....graphics are super. I died pretty quickly though, not sure why as it didn't seem like I was getting hit...oh well.

Not sure if I will pick it up, maybe eventually.
Old 10-19-07, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't played any of the previous games, but I really liked the demo ... I'll be getting it.
Old 10-19-07, 07:52 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have been looking forward to this game since I heard about it. It was one of the driving factors for my PS3 purchase. Well, that and the 60 gig model going away and the Emotion ENgine chip stuff being removed.
Old 10-19-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, as I am dying to have more than 2 games on the PS3, this one looks pretty fun and will pick it up...
Old 10-19-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a good ride with this series. I liked the first, loved the second and then got an hour or so into the third and quit because it was way too similar to the first two games. Not that that's a problem by itself, I play lots of series that don't change much, but playing them back to back to back was the wrong idea and now I'm soured on the series for life.
Old 10-19-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Never played a Ratchet game but it looks great and it's in my Gamefly queue. Should I play any of the others before jumping into this one? I've read/heard that they are all pretty interchangable and very little changes game-to-game. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've read/heard that they are all pretty interchangable and very little changes game-to-game. Thoughts?
100% correct.
Old 10-19-07, 09:03 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Little things change like abilities and weapons, etc.

But overall, they all play the same and are interchangeable. But that is the beauty of platformer games.
Old 10-19-07, 09:09 AM

Yeah, subtle improvements : better weapons, improved weapon management, fun new mini-games. But overall, very interchangeable. Plot's always the same : Someone (or some thing) sends a distress signal to Ratchet. He sets off to help. He gets assistance from some of his friends. Gets new gadgets during his quest that unlocks new abilities. There's a plot twist half way through and he finds someone he trusted was really a spy or something. He defeats the mastermind. The End. You don't need any familiarity with the previous games to enjoy one. The only real plot point that carries over is that Captain Quark used to be the biggest superhero in the Galaxy, but he's been exposed as a big phony that R&C constantly have to help out now and don't really trust. You get a taste of that in the demo.

The games' real strength, beyond solid platforming (which the games got away from, and now is getting back to here) and fun, imaginative weapon play is the strong humor in the game. There are plenty of true laugh-out-loud moments in these games during the cut-scenes. The writers are damn funny.
Old 10-19-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
Little things change like abilities and weapons, etc.

But overall, they all play the same and are interchangeable. But that is the beauty of platformer games.
And precisely why I'm sick of em. Hoping for the best, but not expecting to be blown away.
Old 10-19-07, 09:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Well said Decker and why I love the games and will be buying my copy on release day.
Old 10-19-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Played the demo, for some reasons, the graphic is a bit "darker" than the trailer (well the trailer is the trailer). I like the game play (never play R&C before) and the characters are pretty cool, can't wait to see the pirate part. Definitely picking this up, but probably not on release day though, i'm buried with recent releases... Heavenly Sword, BioShock, Orange Box, MP3C, and still working on Z:TP...
Old 10-19-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Currently my favorite on-going series on any platform. My most anticipate game of the year. I'll be picking it up on release date.
Old 10-19-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I had a good ride with this series. I liked the first, loved the second and then got an hour or so into the third and quit because it was way too similar to the first two games. Not that that's a problem by itself, I play lots of series that don't change much, but playing them back to back to back was the wrong idea and now I'm soured on the series for life.
I did not play them back-to-back, I played them as they came out, and I felt exactly the same way (though I got about half-way through the 3rd one). It was definitely one of my favorite franchises from last generation, but I think I had my fill of it.

Though if I had a PS3 I would totally get this, but I wouldn't get a PS3 for it.
Old 10-19-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Old 10-19-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not really a big R&C fan, but I enjoyed the demo. Still, too many other games on the horizon to drop $60 on this one, so it's going on my Gamefly queue.
Old 10-20-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have every R&C game for the PS2 and PSP, and I'm looking forward to this one. One of my favorite old weapons I wish they'd bring back is the steerable missile - I loved using that one around corners and at distances until it flew out of range!
Old 10-20-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

loved the first three, liked the psp version. when i saw this was coming in october, i had to get a ps3. looking forward to next week
Old 10-21-07, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
I have every R&C game for the PS2 and PSP, and I'm looking forward to this one. One of my favorite old weapons I wish they'd bring back is the steerable missile - I loved using that one around corners and at distances until it flew out of range!
I've read that this game has missles you can steer with the sixaxis movement. Should be fun.
Old 10-22-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, this the first demo on the PS3 that I actually liked. I'm strongly considering picking this up but I may wait for Eye of Judgment reviews to come in.
Old 10-22-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Well, this the first demo on the PS3 that I actually liked. I'm strongly considering picking this up but I may wait for Eye of Judgment reviews to come in.
EYE OF JUDGEMENT REVIEW
9.0 Presentation
Impressive attention to detail, rad opening, and sweet cards. Eye of Judgment was designed with presentation in mind.
7.5 Graphics
Nice visuals make the creatures really come to life, and the fantastical environments look great.
7.5 Sound
Intense metal music throughout; we liked it - you may not. Some of the creature voices are fun, while others are a little forced.
7.5 Gameplay
A great card dynamic that works well with the PlayStation Eye. Lack of a story mode is a real letdown, though.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
This really depends on how long you like playing card games, but be weary of the lack of single-player options.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Last edited by nickdawgy; 10-23-07 at 02:24 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.