Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World Series of Poker 2008-Battle for the Bracelets

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
World Series of Poker 2008-Battle for the Bracelets

Anyone pick this up? I got it for my PS2 since im not in the next gen world yet and i really like it so far.Im by no means a poker expert so maybe im not the best judge of the game but for me its pretty fun.I know of a few of the players from seeing them on TV and Phil Hellmuth is the featured player in it.I wish they had a little more banter from him and the other players cuz the speech is very repetitive.Maybe its better on the next gen versions? Ive never had a poker game so i dont have anything to compare it with but it does a good job and recreating the TV style of the Texas Hold Em tourneys ive seen.It also has a career mode that im just starting out on now.

IGN gave it a 7.9 for PS2,PS3 and Xbox 360.It also is being released later this year on PSP,DS and PC.

On a related note when i first got the game the other day i had a very hard time reading the text and the cards so i picked up one of those Sony AV component cables and that made a big difference and also my other PS2 games look better now too.Im new to PS2 so this was exciting for me

Last edited by astrochimp; 10-16-07 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought this game when it was released. I'm relatively new to the game of poker, but I took to the WSOP games quickly. Last year's game was great, in terms of presentation and options... and this year's version eclipses last year's on many fronts. There are more offline gameplay options, new players (Hellmuth's addition is a plus), and an even better presentation style.

I do echo your sentiment about the text being hard to read. I've had a tough time with it; however, based on everything that the game is trying to display at once, it's somehat understandable as to why this has to be.

I'm hoping that the DS version is going to have online play, but that remains to be seen. :-)
Old 10-16-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peter Skerritt
I'm hoping that the DS version is going to have online play, but that remains to be seen. :-)
Yeah i might even grab the DS version when it comes out(Nov 6th) if it looks decent enough but for the meantime in enjoying the ps2 version.Got my first win tonight after a lengthy battle in a cash game.

Oh and welcome to the forum Peter
Old 10-17-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had pre-ordered this on Amazon but cancelled after the release date changed multiple times. I also was not able to find ANY information about the version for the PSP, such as online play, release date, etc. The developers website has nothing, Activision has nothing, and the beatthebrat.com site is about worthless.
Old 10-17-07, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by johnglass
I had pre-ordered this on Amazon but cancelled after the release date changed multiple times. I also was not able to find ANY information about the version for the PSP, such as online play, release date, etc. The developers website has nothing, Activision has nothing, and the beatthebrat.com site is about worthless.
The console releases nearly flew under the radar; in fact, if it hadn't been for a keen eye when visiting my local game store to pick up Jackass: The Game, I'd never have seen this.

I can understand the frustration regarding no information; info on the DS release has also been spotty, and I'm hoping that it's going to be online. I'd rather not pay $30 for another version of the game if you can't use the Wi-Fi functionality here.
Old 10-17-07, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Yeah i might even grab the DS version when it comes out(Nov 6th) if it looks decent enough but for the meantime in enjoying the ps2 version.Got my first win tonight after a lengthy battle in a cash game.

Oh and welcome to the forum Peter
Congrats on the win. It's certainly satisfying to capture 1st place when investing so much time in a tourney.

And... thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.
Old 10-18-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Going back to my topic of having troubles reading the cards & text(although not nearly as bad now with the AV component cable connection for my old ps2).I find the 4 color deck is great although was weird at 1st seeing purple diamonds and green clubs but least they dont show that way on the actual table,just on the bottom of the screen which is where for me i was having troubles.
Old 11-09-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has this finally been released on PSP? I see it as being available on buy.com, but I Amazon had shown it being available previously when it wasn't.
Old 11-09-07, 09:33 PM

Has this finally been released on PSP? I see it as being available on buy.com, but I Amazon had shown it being available previously when it wasn't.
According to GameStop's website, it shipped to retail and should have been available as of 11/7... same for the Nintendo DS.
Old 11-10-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, some gamestops just got it in yesterday. Will be picking up my copy later today.
Old 11-10-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh nice to see this thread back.

I upgraded my ps2 version to the 360 one since i now have a 360 and its nicer to look at although the cards and text being hard to read was the same problem,least till i got a nice new HDTV lcd for my desk

Just wondering if anyones won a tourney on this or got to the final table? I won that one cash game and thats been it so far and best ive done in a tourney was 52nd outta something like 432.I like that its challenging though.
Old 11-12-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, if anyone picks it up for the PSP and can let me know if online play is available (since I can't seem to find any information about it) I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-12-07, 09:54 AM

After spending some time with the DS version:

** Why isn't there any Wi-Fi functionality here? The game only supports multi-card play, rather than single-card play, which can make for an expensive experience.

** The presentation is pretty good, with some FMV here and there and decent table graphics. I haven't heard any voice samples, and the BGM I've heard loops a ton.

** There's a fair amount of content here... plenty of events to play through in the Career Mode, plus the Heads-Up Challenges and Cash Games from the console versions.

Look for more later on this title.