Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MTU Setting on XBox Live?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTU Setting on XBox Live?

What is it?

Why is my initial setup of Xbox Live always failing at that test?

How can I fix it?

Thanks
Old 10-15-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908882/en-us
SYMPTOMS
You cannot connect to Xbox Live. When you perform the Test Live Connection test, the test for MTU displays Failed.

CAUSE
You experience this behavior if your router or the gateway is incompatible with Xbox Live, or if your router or the gateway has an incorrect MTU setting.

This test confirms that the network has sufficient Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU). MTU is a setting on the router or the gateway that can affect network performance. Xbox Live requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364. If your console does not pass this test, you cannot sign in to Xbox Live.

If you have multiple consoles that are connected by using the same connection, you may cause a failed MTU tests. A failed MTU test may also be caused by sharing the connection with a computer.

THINGS TO TRY
1. If you are using an Xbox Live-compatible device you should not receive this error message.

If you do have an Xbox Live-compatible device, follow these steps:
a. Visit the following Web site to determine whether you have the correct firmware version that has been certified as compatible:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm)
b. See the router or gateway instruction manual for information about how to change the MTU setting.
2. If you share a connection with a router and a modem, try a direct connection without the router.
Note This eliminates any router configuration problems.
a. If you can connect without the router, you may have to set the MTU on the router to 1364. To do this, or determine whether your router supports this feature, see the router support documentation or contact the router support group.
Old 10-15-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not the most knowledgable when it comes to computers, could this be because I have an apartment where the internet is included? Its an ethernet connection built in, so I wonder if they just don't have it set up for things like Xbox Live
Old 10-15-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It could be. How do you hook into the apartment's internet? Is there a jack in your wall or is it all wireless?
Old 10-15-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its a jack in the wall, right next to the phone line is an ethernet line

I think after I get home from work I'll give it another try, then call the internet company and ask them about that
Old 10-15-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume you have a router in between that jack and your device(s) then. Try plugging the 360 directly into the wall. If that works, it is your router. Once you know that we can move on from there by checking your model#, settings, and firmware. Worst case is you get another router.

If that doesn't work, it's your ISP/Apartment complex.
Old 10-15-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I just bought Xbox 360 yesterday so I dont have a router. What I have been doing when trying to get Live to work is just unplugging the ethernet cable going into my computer and putting in the one that connects to the Xbox. I figure if I'm playing Xbox I don't need to be online on my computer and vice versa
Old 10-15-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it sounds like someone upline from you is restricting the MTU.

I'd start with your apartment complex and see if they're doing that intentionally or if it is just an unhappy coincidence.
Old 10-15-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I've gotten that error from things unrelated to the MTU setting on my router, so it isn't necessarily that. I got it once when I was having network issues.