Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Shoot 'Em Up----> January 1st!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot 'Em Up----> January 1st!

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/shoot-em-up.html

Sounds good to me, but I was hoping for an Unrated version or Collector's Edition.

Order Advertisment:
http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?i...updvdadzk3.jpg

Last edited by rhcp1214; 10-14-07 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 06:16 PM

Well Shoot 'em up 2 has already been greenlit I've heard. So exect another release to either promote it, or come out with the sequels DVD.
Old 10-14-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BD will be mine.

I LOVED this movie beyond belief, possibly the definitive entertainment-based movie of the year. Here's hoping this movie can get the afterlife love that benefited Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Running Scared on DVD.

I mean, the easy route would be to say it's Bugs Bunny as produced by Joel Silver, directed by John Woo and written by Shane Black, but Clive Owen was unstoppable and Paul Giamatti was probably the most viciously funny villain I've seen in a movie outside of Kurtwood Smith's in RoboCop. Definite buy.
Old 10-14-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome. can't wait to get this.
Old 10-14-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
The BD will be mine.

I LOVED this movie beyond belief, possibly the definitive entertainment-based movie of the year. Here's hoping this movie can get the afterlife love that benefited Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Running Scared on DVD.

I mean, the easy route would be to say it's Bugs Bunny as produced by Joel Silver, directed by John Woo and written by Shane Black, but Clive Owen was unstoppable and Paul Giamatti was probably the most viciously funny villain I've seen in a movie outside of Kurtwood Smith's in RoboCop. Definite buy.
From what I've seen, it looks like Crank with a better cast. Is it like that?
Old 10-14-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved this movie!! One of the best action movies I've seen. Definitely getting the blu-ray. Is Best Buy open on January 1st?

Great to hear about a sequel coming too.
Old 10-14-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely will pick up. Will be curious to see a sequel.
Old 10-14-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
This movie was a blast when I saw it in theaters. I really enjoyed it.

Definitely will be picking up the BD.
Old 10-14-07, 10:21 PM

this is BR exclusive?
Old 10-14-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlonde83
this is BR exclusive?
No. New Line says that they won't release their newer movies on HD-DVD because of the lack of region coding. I think that Nw Line wants mto differentiate themselves from WB by making up thse claims and going mostly BR.

The reason I say this is because there are some New Line movies already available on HD-DVD elsewhere in the world, but not here. And yes I know that the movies are released in other countries, but I think that New Line has something up their sleves.
Old 10-14-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blu-ray for me!
Old 10-15-07, 01:07 AM
MGR

Originally Posted by project86
Well Shoot 'em up 2 has already been greenlit I've heard. So exect another release to either promote it, or come out with the sequels DVD.
Do you have a link to the story about the sequel? Hope it's true.

Went to an early screening Q&A with the writer/director and I believe that he said he'd already completed a screenplay for a sequel.
He had actually written Shoot 'Em Up seven years earlier, but while shopping it around, the Columbine massacre occurred. Ouch. Not a good time to try and sell Shoot 'Em Up to the studios.
Old 10-15-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was gonna check this out at the theaters but never got around to it. Picking up the BD for sure.
Old 10-15-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
From what I've seen, it looks like Crank with a better cast. Is it like that?
Compared to Crank, I'd say Shoot 'Em Up is Crank as written by Shane Black and an over-caffeinated sophomore in high school watching nothing but that and John Woo's Hong Kong output repeatedly for a week. And it's true: everything is as crazy as Crank, but instead of just batshit GTA-esque insanity for action, it's like Hard Boiled on coke. Both are extremely fun movies and I love them to death, but my experience with Shoot 'Em Up was far more entertaining.
Old 10-15-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Highly entertaining movie that I just had to laugh at so many times. I'll rent it at least to watch it again.
Old 10-15-07, 12:27 PM

great movie, ill get it for sure
Old 10-15-07, 01:04 PM

Anybody know what the UPC for the DVD will be?
Old 10-15-07, 10:40 PM

Whats with making us wait for the HD-DVD? Did New Line sign some contract like Paramount did?
Old 10-16-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
HD DVDs don't have region coding. Blu-ray Discs do.

New Line doesn't want to cut into international distributor's profits by having international customers import the movies on HD DVD before or while its still in cinemas.

So they decided to hold off on new titles being day & date on both BD and HD DVD. The BDs come first and are Region A coded, the HD DVDs follow when the international markets stop running them in cinemas.

New Line's only movie to hit both BD and HD DVD at the same time is Pan's Labyrinth since that's available all over the world now on DVD, VideoCD, and VHS.
Old 10-16-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rhcp1214
Sounds good to me, but I was hoping for an Unrated version or Collector's Edition.
New Line Home Entertainment has officially announced a two-disc special edition of Shoot 'Em Up which stars Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Monica Bellucci. This Michael Davis film will be available to own from the 1st January, and should retail at $27.98. The film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and English DTS-ES 6.1 tracks. Extras will include a commentary from director and writer Michael Davis, deleted scenes with commentary from the director, some scene animatics with director commentary, a Ballet of Bullets – Making Shoot ‘Em Up” documentary, and trailers.
I see your point concerning an Unrated cut, but with all due respect, you don't think a 2-Disc Special Edition is the same thing as a Collector's Edition?
Old 10-16-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by emachine12
New Line's only movie to hit both BD and HD DVD at the same time is Pan's Labyrinth since that's available all over the world now on DVD, VideoCD, and VHS.
They still release stuff on VCD and VHS?
Old 10-16-07, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I see your point concerning an Unrated cut, but with all due respect, you don't think a 2-Disc Special Edition is the same thing as a Collector's Edition?
Where is their anything on a Two-Disc special edition?
EDIT: WOW I am an idiot.
Old 10-16-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow...

some good reviews here... which makes me want to ask a question...

i like Clive Owen... period... especially 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead'... also i thought 'Children Of Men' was excellent...

i had seen on some other forums this movie was a thinly veiled political 'anti-gun' message?... and it was heavy handed and overdone and stuff, and greatly detracted from the film?... please note i am not trying to introduce that debate in this post... just asking if that's accurate about this movie...

did you guys see that at all?... or did these people bring their own issues to a rocking action flick and screw it up for themselves?...

i like Giamatti and Owen but that stuff i read kinda had me thinking i'd pass...

opinions?...
Old 10-16-07, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
wow...

some good reviews here... which makes me want to ask a question...

i like Clive Owen... period... especially 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead'... also i thought 'Children Of Men' was excellent...

i had seen on some other forums this movie was a thinly veiled political 'anti-gun' message?... and it was heavy handed and overdone and stuff, and greatly detracted from the film?... please note i am not trying to introduce that debate in this post... just asking if that's accurate about this movie...

did you guys see that at all?... or did these people bring their own issues to a rocking action flick and screw it up for themselves?...

i like Giamatti and Owen but that stuff i read kinda had me thinking i'd pass...

opinions?...
"Thinly veiled political 'anti-gun' message?" That's a laugh. There's a running gag revolving around the trouble with "fingerprint locks" on handguns. Gun control advocates are portrayed as being hypocritical and morally weak. If anything, the movie pushes a strong "carrot control" agenda.

If an action film like Shoot 'Em Up doesn't explicitly express pro-gun messages, is it immediately suspected to have some sort of anti-gun subtext? It makes me wonder what it would take for an action movie to be interpreted as a having pro-gun message. Would a movie be "pro-gun" if, say, Bruce Willis was to give his Beretta a deep, open-mouthed kiss at the end of the film? People are too sensitive, and sometimes it's the people that one would least suspect.
Old 10-16-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the anti-gun message, I think Paul Giamatti's line takes everything into perspective:

"Guns don't kill people, but they sure do help."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.