Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Third Watch - The Complete First Season 02/08/08

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Are you planning to buy?
Yes, it's about damn time.
55.17%
Nope or Third What - never heard of it?
44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Watch-Season-1/8222
6 Discs - SRP $59.98
Old 10-09-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Awesome. My sister will love this news. $60 though? Sounds a bit pricey to me.
Old 10-09-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It’s about, Fu*king time!

Finally, the WB is releasing the first season, hope it sells well & isn’t another, ‘Only one season released’; due to poor sales nonsense.

The first season of Third Watch wasn’t my favorite but at least it’s finally coming out!
Old 10-09-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out for this one, there will be music edits. Got a hold of the copy released in the UK and a few songs in the first 4 or 5 (don't recall the exact #) episodes have been replaced.

And that was the reason it took so long was due to music rights.
Old 10-09-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the show when it was on, but I dunno how well it'll hold up.
Old 10-09-07, 10:24 AM

One of my all-time favorite shows, I'm very pleased to hear this.
Old 10-09-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by macnorton
Watch out for this one, there will be music edits. Got a hold of the copy released in the UK and a few songs in the first 4 or 5 (don't recall the exact #) episodes have been replaced.

And that was the reason it took so long was due to music rights.
Oh yeah, this is going to be a clusterfuck as far as music edits are concerned...
Old 10-09-07, 12:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I might pick it up -- enjoyed it when it was on -- not sure of replay value though.
Old 10-09-07, 12:10 PM

I've only seen a few episodes of this series over the years. But I remember my mother really enjoying it as well as comparing it to ER. I'll probably buy it, but I'm too cheap to pay the $40 it will be on release, so I'll wait for one of Warner's unevitable sales.
Old 10-09-07, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never seen it but I had always wanted to so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-09-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
This show had a good run until they moved it to Friday nights. I recall it did quite well on Monday's at 10pm.

I'm surprised that Michael Beach (Doc) isn't on the artwork. He was a really central lead character in the 1st season especially since he was training Carlos.

Loved the theme music, it always got me fired up to watch the show. I may pick this up for the nostalgia factor.
Old 10-09-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Absolutely love this show. I have been waiting for ages for this dvd to come out. I am trying to remember the mjusic in the show, and all I come up with is teh theme song being by Type o negative or the crystal method or something like that. Was popular music a big part of the show, and I just can't remember it?
Old 10-09-07, 04:34 PM
Cool New Member

I loved this show and it's great to finally see it coming out to DVD. It was a real pity they cancelled it.
Old 10-10-07, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Absolutely love this show. I have been waiting for ages for this dvd to come out. I am trying to remember the mjusic in the show, and all I come up with is teh theme song being by Type o negative or the crystal method or something like that. Was popular music a big part of the show, and I just can't remember it?
It was a big part closer to the end of most episodes when they did the classic, ‘Play Music over people walking, looking lonely/contemplating their life; having their eyes looking down’ thing.

Third Watch is basically a fix for the ER fans when ER started to go downhill. I thought Third Watch got better as it rolled along & it was a little rough at first but slowly become a very excellent show. The final season really sent the show off with a bang & I’ve never seen so much sh*t happen in one season.
Old 10-10-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nateman241
It was a big part closer to the end of most episodes when they did the classic, ‘Play Music over people walking, looking lonely/contemplating their life; having their eyes looking down’ thing.

Third Watch is basically a fix for the ER fans when ER started to go downhill. I thought Third Watch got better as it rolled along & it was a little rough at first but slowly become a very excellent show. The final season really sent the show off with a bang & I’ve never seen so much sh*t happen in one season.
That's why I dont really remember the music, as I absolutely hate that technique of having a "music video" at the end of an episode. They always seem to pick horrible songs, so I usually just mute the sound and watch the end in silence.

I definitely agree with you that the show did go out with a bang. But they did have alot of smaller bangs along the way. Of course the final season or so seemd to focus less and less on the firefighters and more on the cops and medics. But oh well.
Old 10-11-07, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
That's why I dont really remember the music, as I absolutely hate that technique of having a "music video" at the end of an episode. They always seem to pick horrible songs, so I usually just mute the sound and watch the end in silence.

I definitely agree with you that the show did go out with a bang. But they did have alot of smaller bangs along the way. Of course the final season or so seemd to focus less and less on the firefighters and more on the cops and medics. But oh well.
Yeah, the firefighter parts became pretty rare toward the end of the show.
Old 10-11-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one is a long time coming - will definitely pick it up (when it goes on sale)
Old 10-12-07, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

If they were charging $60 because it cost a lot to get all the music rights I'd definitely get it. But charging $60 for it when they don't have the music rights is ridiculous. I'll be passing on this one until such time that they release it with all the original music intact. Which will probably sadly be never. The music is just an enormous part of this show.
Old 10-12-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

It says the MSRP is $60, but this will probably be selling for $39.99-49.99 in stores, which is pretty normal for these TV on DVD sets.
Old 10-13-07, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It says the MSRP is $60, but this will probably be selling for $39.99-49.99 in stores, which is pretty normal for these TV on DVD sets.
Yeah, the WB usually has an MSRP of $59.95 for the ER sets but when you buy it on release day I’ve always paid $39.99 & only once I’ve paid $49.99 for a season (can’t remember which one).
Old 10-14-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rainking187
If they were charging $60 because it cost a lot to get all the music rights I'd definitely get it. But charging $60 for it when they don't have the music rights is ridiculous. I'll be passing on this one until such time that they release it with all the original music intact. Which will probably sadly be never. The music is just an enormous part of this show.
Its good that you already seem to know that you will be waiting forever. What are the chances that they will rerelease this with the original music? I'd say basically nil.
Old 08-06-08, 03:58 PM

Six months now since the first season's release. I sure hope to hear a season two announcement soon!
Old 08-07-08, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm assuming that season 1 didn't sell very well. I think it's doubtful we will be seeing any future seasons. I think sales and music costs are the main issues here.

Even if WB decides to cut corners and replace music and drop extra features, I don't think 3rd Watch has a large enough fan base to be a sales winner.
Old 08-07-08, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm assuming that season 1 didn't sell very well. I think it's doubtful we will be seeing any future seasons. I think sales and music costs are the main issues here.

Even if WB decides to cut corners and replace music and drop extra features, I don't think 3rd Watch has a large enough fan base to be a sales winner.
It was the 4th most requested TV show to be put on DVD over at tvshowsondvd.com.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Watch-Season-1/8222

Like you said, music costs are the main issue. It could've sold good, but if the costs were still more than what they were getting back from the sales of the first season DVD; it's hard to say if we will see more seasons. I'm hoping for more, however. The show is fantastic.
Old 08-10-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last I remember checking it was higher than fourth. I really hope that they release the rest of the seasons, as this really was a tremendous show. I personally dont care if they change the music. I dont usually remember what song was playing durign a particualr epsiode, except for theme songs, and a few isolated scense like Dr. Green dying in Hawaii, Somewhere over the rainbow, and when dylan and Brenda were making out in his porsche on the beach, Losing My Religion.