Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 07:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Stephen King's "Duma Key" 1/22/08

Cool cover:

Old 10-07-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why as I suddenly imagining a Carl Hiaasen horror novel -- the ghost of Walt Disney tries to burn down the Everglades.
Old 10-15-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any synopsis?
Old 10-15-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
It's a magical-realist mystery novel about a professional tennis player who is murdered while he's out spear-fishing. The primary suspect is his wife, who is a famous artist (ala Thomas Kinkade) who apparently put clues to her husband's murder in her paintings.

And there's also a talking frog named Mr. Beppo that plays a major role in the novel.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 10-15-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I realize there's a short story at the end of the novel Blaze that's about this upcoming novel.
Old 10-16-07, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's a magical-realist mystery novel about a professional tennis player who is murdered while he's out spear-fishing. The primary suspect is his wife, who is a famous artist (ala Thomas Kinkade) who apparently put clues to her husband's murder in her paintings.

And there's also a talking frog named Mr. Beppo that plays a major role in the novel.

No seriously...
Old 10-16-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In an interview with Lilja's Library, King said:

"...it’s about a construction worker who is involved in a terrible accident. He lives in the northern part of the United States, Minnesota, and he’s hurt very badly and loses an arm, sustains head injuries and is not expected to live but he does and he comes out of a coma and because of the head injuries he has uncontrollable rages and memory lapses. It’s very difficult and his wife divorces him so he decides he’s going to move to Florida but he’s also thinking about suicide just because of his pain and because he doesn’t like being angry all the time and this psychiatrist kind of talks him out of it and one of the things he says is, “Is there anything that you do that you can use as a kind of buffer against this depression? Is there any kind of new life for you besides working on buildings?” and this guy says, “I used to draw, I used to paint a little bit” and the guy says, “Well, try that” and he discovers that, after this injury, that he is really a very talented painter and he moves to Florida and he starts to paint these pictures and then strange things start to happen with the pictures. They have this power so that sometimes if he paints things into the world they kind of appear and if he paints things out they disappear, including people. And there is something going on, on this island, this Duma Key that is actually amping that talent up and making it stronger because there is something wrong there. That’s the real basis of the story."[2]
Sounds like it has promise...
Old 10-17-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
Sounds like it has promise...
Sounds like Word Processor of the Gods
Old 10-17-07, 08:52 AM
Banned

I thought Mr King was retiring?
Old 10-18-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I thought Mr King was retiring?
Yeah, he's living in the retirement home with Anthony Hopkins, Liam Neeson, and Cate Blanchett. I miss them all so very much.
Old 10-20-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like Lost.
Old 01-28-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone pick this up?
Old 01-29-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I reviewed it last week in the Chicago Sun-Times. I liked it.
Old 01-29-08, 10:49 AM

Reading it now, about 3/4 of the way through, it's excellent so far but I'm getting nervous as I don't think King has ended a book well since the 80's.
Old 01-29-08, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
SPOILER TAGS please!! I am only 1/3 through. Why do I insist on reading threads where the spoiler danger is always present? ugg.
Old 01-29-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rest assured -- there is no talking frog in the story.
Old 01-29-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ceeece
SPOILER TAGS please!! I am only 1/3 through. Why do I insist on reading threads where the spoiler danger is always present? ugg.
Hilarious.
Old 02-27-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just finished this book and I have to say, it's the first King book I really enjoyed cover to cover in many years. Great story, great characters, great ending! Anyone else finish this one yet? I'm curious about how others liked it compared to his other books....
Old 02-27-08, 10:15 AM

I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I liked it. The momentum really built to the climax. The ending was one of his best IMO. I thought it was very poetic. I've been very pleased by his latest books. "Blaze" was great. "Lisey's Story" was excellent. I put "Duma" above "LS" too. The last 3 Dark Tower books were hard to put down. I loved "The Dark Tower" and the ending. I didn't read "Dreamcatcher" or "Colorado Kid" yet (even though I have them). I guess I hurdled those bumps!

His best stuff is his early stuff. "The Shining", "Salem's Lot", "The Stand", "It", I could go on and on.
Old 02-27-08, 11:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm currently in the middle of it -- like what I'm reading thus far.
Old 02-27-08, 11:59 AM

I enjoyed it but thought it lost steam towards the end.

Didn't enjoy the last 3 Dark Tower books at all, and I've been a fan of the series for about 10 years now (late in the game). I didn't mind the ending but the last 3 books were just awful in comparison to the first four.

Dreamcatcher: Excellent book, awful movie.

Going to listen to (I do audio books) Black House next.
Old 02-28-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i cant help but think of Palahniuk's 'Diary' when i read the synopsis of this book...

-NiCK
Old 04-01-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I consider myself a big King fan, but I really had trouble getting "into" this one.

I got to the part about the painting done of his daughter's boyfriend, and I realized I didn't care much about anyone involved - and there was still a long way to go, pages-wise.

I may stick it on a shelf and try again in a few months.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 04-01-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 09:38 AM

I just finished it also, first 1/3 I would read a little bit a day, very slow start in my mind kind of like Bag of Bones. After that all I got was my wife telling me to put the damn book down because it seemed to pick up and I wanted to know what was going to happen. Not "the best" of his but for sure in the top 5 or so.
Old 04-25-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by schmedy
Not "the best" of his but for sure in the top 5 or so.
Top 5? That is a pretty bold statement, in light of how many books Stephen King has written. I myself haven't read this one yet, but I'm going out on a limb to say that it would probably rank in the bottom 5. There are too many great books by King to assume this would knock any of his previous books down a notch on my list.

I'm spoilerizing what I'm going to say because I'm not here to bash (or threadcrap, as they say) something that people seem to be enjoying...so please feel free to not look at what I'm saying...I'm just blowing off steam.

Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure why King is still writing - it isn't for the money, and everything King had to say has already been said. I don't think he really has anything more to say that's of any worth.

I think that maybe I'm just getting a little too old to enjoy his stories...could be a factor?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.