Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FPS After the Wii

Old 10-07-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
FPS After the Wii

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I thought it would be interesting to bring it up. After playing, RE4 ( I know, not an FPS) and Metroid Prime (I know, also not an FPS) I stopped at my friend's house yesterday and tried out Halo 3. Now, I loved Halo 1 and 2. I played Halo 2 online all the time, and frequently with people on here. (I was The Surgeon if no one remembers me.) I now completely understand what people are talking about when they say it's impossible to play an FPS after using a mouse and keyboard.

I felt like I couldn't aim at anything precisely with the damn right joystick. I was getting so frustrated that I couldn't point and fire. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm wondering if I could get used to the old controls and enjoy the game. The game looked great too, and I would love to play it online, but I felt like I was fighting with the controller to aim. Of course, it may be that I just suck. Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-07-07, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It takes a while to get used to. I play America's Army on the PC a lot. So when I picked up Halo 3, it took a while to get used to using a controller. It seems like my aim is all over the place. I seem to over compensate a lot with it compared to the precision of the mouse.
Old 10-07-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Adjust your look sensitivity. I'd say drop it 2 or 3 and see where you are from there.
Old 10-07-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I probably won't play the game again anytime soon, but it seemed like I just had a hard time trying to strafe while aiming when I couldn't look with a pointer. I didn't even bother going for head shots because I couldn't aim that precisely. However I was never too good at that in previous games so it's probably just me. I was just so used to being able to do it from RE4 and Metroid.
Old 10-07-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I miss the more "pinpoint" aiming of MP3, and found switching back and forth between it and Halo 3 somewhat of an adjustment. The standard FPS console controls seem a bit on the loose side.

I am currently playing Quake Wars on PC too and I would rate the control as follows:

1a: PC Controls
1b: Wii Control (specifically RE4 and MP3)

Some distance behind are the standard console FPS control (Xbox controls specifically, the dual shock configuration would rated lower than the Xbox style control).
Old 10-07-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never really enjoyed the whole FPS thing not being a PC gamer and HATING the way they control on consoles. The only exception ever for me was the first Metroid Prime, which had a Zelda-like control scheme. I did try a few FPS games, including unreal on Dreamcast, Medal of Honor on Gamecube, and Timesplitters on Gamecube. And my experiences trying to conrol FPSs on a keyboard have been laughable...at best...and I hated every second of it.

I actually just posted in the MP3 thread about an observation I made on the difference in play style that I noted between someone who was familiar with PC FPS controls (my friend) and someone who isn't (me) when playing the Wii.

My lack of familiarity with FPS games extended the learning curve on MP3 quite a bit for me, and I ultimately settled in on the default contol scheme still using lock on quite a bit. My buddy came over on Friday for some games and beers, and he played up to about a third of the way through Bryyo. He's used to FPS games, being a PC guy, and he took to the controls like it was nothing once I put it on "advanced" for him. His style of play was also much different from mine, he was much smoother than me, and he almost never used the lock-on. It was very interesting to me to see how different our styles were, and he LOVED the Wii control.

The really funny thing is that I could actually see myself enjoying the FPS genre with Wii controls, where I never would have otherwise. The other funny thing was watching a PC guy enjoy a FPS on a console. Bottom line for me: I will never try to play an FPS with analog sticks again. NEVER.

Last edited by chess; 10-08-07 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
I see people with this complaint all the time and it made me wonder: Which style is more difficult to master...using a mouse & keyboard or using a standard controller for a First Person Shooter?

My guess is using a mouse & keyboard is easier since I never see people complaining about going from a controller to a mouse but also see complaints about mouse to keyboard all the time. I personally have no idea since I hate gaming on a computer and gave it up years ago. Playing a FPS on a console feels like second nature to me so I never give it any thought about it being more or less difficult.

Another question: Not trying to start a fight but if going from a mouse to a controller is more difficult, does that mean that people who master the use of a FPS using a controller is a more skilled gamer than the mouse user? Just curious.

And has their ever been a pro tournament that pitted a mouse user against a controller user on the same game? That would be an interesting match.
Old 10-08-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say it's more "difficult" to use a controller precisely because it is less accurate. This is why games such as Halo have aim-assistance. You simply can't be as precise as a mouse or pointer. I feel like I'm coming at it from a different angle. I used to love the controller, and felt I was very good at it. However, after using the pointer for the Wii I now see how unnatural it feels to use a joystick for aiming. I was never good at mouse/keyboard due to the keyboard part of the equation.
Old 10-08-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the FPS games ive ever purchased for my consoles(Xbox,Gamecube and PS2) hardly got played due to my problem with aiming.It just made them not fun at all for me despite the fact that they are highly rated games.I bascially stick to sports games on console and FPS on my PC.

Im certainly interested in the Wii but i havent seen enough from it yet that makes me "have" to have it.
Old 10-08-07, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I see people with this complaint all the time and it made me wonder: Which style is more difficult to master...using a mouse & keyboard or using a standard controller for a First Person Shooter?

My guess is using a mouse & keyboard is easier since I never see people complaining about going from a controller to a mouse but also see complaints about mouse to keyboard all the time...
People brought up on mouse/keyboard complain about controllers because the latter are imprecise, not because they're "more difficult to master".

If you conducted an experiment with a first-time gamer, there's no way I can envision him complaining more about the relatively straightforward 'left stick moves, right stick looks' than the combination of piano lesson-like left-hand skills on a keyboard along with a similar 'right hand looks' mechanic.
Old 10-08-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
People brought up on mouse/keyboard complain about controllers because the latter are imprecise, not because they're "more difficult to master".
I never said that was why they made the complaint. Read my post.

I asked which style is more difficult to master.
Old 10-08-07, 09:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've never liked console FPS games that much, always preferred PC. I played a few, including GoldenEye and Halo.

The Wii controls take console FPS to a new level. The control scheme in MP3 rivals that of mouse & keyboard.

I have little interest in playing future FPS games on anything other than the Wii or PC.
Old 10-08-07, 09:21 AM

I never said that was why they made the complaint. Read my post.

I asked which style is more difficult to master.
You made a comment about never hearing complaints going from controller to keyboard. Sorry if I offended you by commenting on this before answering the question you asked.

Goodness.
Old 10-08-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
The Wii controls are far better than the 360 controls. No question about it. This is coming from someone who bought a Halo 360. I love Halo, but wish it had Wii controls. That said, the Wii controls could use a lot of improvement. In Metroid when switches have to be pulled/pushed the controller response was poor. Up, Down, Left, Right works great but in and out does not. I bet we'll see all next Nex-Gen systems with Wii style controls.
Old 10-08-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
You made a comment about never hearing complaints going from controller to keyboard. Sorry if I offended you by commenting on this before answering the question you asked.

Goodness.
I did make that comment. What's your point?

You didn't offend me. I was just responding to your post since you either: A)didn't understand my question or B)read way too much into my question.

You computer people are certainly easily to upset.

I double your goodness and I add a gracious me.
Old 10-08-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Wasn't hard to switch between the two for me. The only time I can't tolerate FPS controls is on the PS2/PS3 w/ the dual shock which is just not built for it.

Controllers are definitely less accurate, but I've never had an issue in single player campaigns with them. Multiplayer is another thing all together.
Old 10-08-07, 09:44 AM

I did make that comment. What's your point?

You didn't offend me. I was just responding to your post since you either: A)didn't understand my question or B)read way too much into my question.

You computer people are certainly easily to upset.

I double your goodness and I add a gracious me.
I made a comment directly related to one of yours, then I answered your question (M/KB is more difficult to master... gosh, I guess I understood it), and I get these responses from you?

Wacky. I'm out of this thread.
Old 10-08-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My guess is using a mouse & keyboard is easier since I never see people complaining about going from a controller to a mouse but also see complaints about mouse to keyboard all the time. I personally have no idea since I hate gaming on a computer and gave it up years ago. Playing a FPS on a console feels like second nature to me so I never give it any thought about it being more or less difficult.
I think a controller would be more difficult to master, because IMO the aiming isn't as intuitive or precise. I think it takes a lot more effort to get good with a controller.

Another question: Not trying to start a fight but if going from a mouse to a controller is more difficult, does that mean that people who master the use of a FPS using a controller is a more skilled gamer than the mouse user? Just curious.
It's possible they could be better at mastering a tougher to use device, making them a more skilled learner (not gamer). But in the end they have mastered a device which is inherently slower and less accurate than the keyboard/mouse. They may be better at mastering devices, but they still won't compare to somebody who has mastered a keyboard/mouse.

And has their ever been a pro tournament that pitted a mouse user against a controller user on the same game? That would be an interesting match.
I'm not sure if a test has been done, but I'm not sure anyone who has played both would even contest who would win. The controller players would get smoked. Shadowrun compensated for players using controllers by adding autoaim, which most console FPS's do. Also, most console games slow down the game considerably to compensate for the controller. Look at Halo 3 which most people would say "gets it right" for a console, compared to Unreal Tournament on the PC, the speed difference is very noticeable.
Old 10-08-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have a problem with KB/Mouse, or 360 pads for FPS. Took me a few minutes to get used to RE4 Wii, it feels good but abit imprecise because of the wiimote, but doable.
Old 10-08-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Took me a few minutes to get used to RE4 Wii, it feels good but abit imprecise because of the wiimote, but doable.
Imprecise? Seriously?

In RE4, I can do things with the Wiimote that I could NEVER hope to do with a traditional controller...BECAUSE it is so precise...kneecapping multiple moving targets from considerable distance...just for instance.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Old 10-08-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a lot of folks will buy something like Unreal Tournament on the Xbox...I doubt I will. I know people looking forward to the Half-Life Orange box on the 360...not me.

Games designed from the bottom up on an analog stick control scheme - work OK. Halo, for example, moves at a very slow pace compared to Quake or UT. Ditto for Gears. I love Gears multiplayer, but it makes movement and gameplay tradeoffs that help minimize the imprecise nature of an analog stick.

I think I could get used to a trackball where one of the analog sticks are, though

PC original titles like Quake and UT will probably be PC purchases for me, if I get them. I really don't play that many FPS games - mainly just crack out on the multiplayer of one or two titles at a time for a year or three.
Old 10-08-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 will be the first Wii FPS to get the controls right since MP3 came out. Overall, it looks pretty solid for a game with PSP roots, and the controls look spot on. Plus...32 player online and an on-rails lightgun mode.

I especially dig the Wiimote over the shoulder for the bazooka!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2NNPoe4xNas"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2NNPoe4xNas" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited by chess; 10-08-07 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 08:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
32 players online? That's a lot of friend codes.
Old 10-08-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
32 players online? That's a lot of friend codes.

No doubt!
Old 10-08-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wii controls are ok, but as a PC FPS gamer since Quake and mouse look, it still doesn't come close to me to mouse/keyboard. Analog stick controls are pretty mediocre, regardless of Halo or Gears or whatever.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.