Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a list that details the prices being paid for OOP/Rare DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-30-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've looked around the net and this site and haven't found anything. But perhaps my searching skills aren't up to par with others.

I'm trying to pare down my collection and would like to see if anything (besides what I already know is rare/oop) is fetching premium prices.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could always check Ebay
Old 09-30-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by deadlax
I've looked around the net and this site and haven't found anything. But perhaps my searching skills aren't up to par with others.

I'm trying to pare down my collection and would like to see if anything (besides what I already know is rare/oop) is fetching premium prices.

Thanks in advance.

check these sites:

http://www.rareoopdvds.com/dvds/

http://dvdlist.kazart.com/DVDList2.php
Old 09-30-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amazon marketplace, to top off that excellent list
Old 10-03-07, 02:10 PM

Check newtownvideo.com

I put Everyone Says I Love You into their search and found out they were paying $22 for it.

This website doesn't always give you top dollar but you will occassionally find a awesome price on a movie you thought would fetch you $2.

Saxon
Old 10-03-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
Check newtownvideo.com

I put Everyone Says I Love You into their search and found out they were paying $22 for it.

This website doesn't always give you top dollar but you will occassionally find a awesome price on a movie you thought would fetch you $2.
Arrrgh, why have I never heard of that site until now? I just sold some DVDs to DVDPlanet recently, and while overall, I was pleased with how much they paid for them, I hate that you only get store credit. Thanks so much for posting this though, guess my collection is gonna get a bit more pruned!

Rob
Old 10-03-07, 02:56 PM

Yeah, I was really surprised how good they were.

Plus, I got my money really fast.

I had a pile of DVD's next to me and I had DVD Planet and NewtownVideo in my browsers going back and fourth to each one seeing who had the better price.

DVD planet usually had the better price. Usually only by a $1 or so. So if you want cash, Newtown Video is the way to go.

Plus, Newtown Video will pay for your shipping costs and shipping insurance.

Saxon
Old 10-03-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My OOP Twin Peaks:S1 doesn't sell for that much on newtownvideo.com, nor does my CC Silence of the Lambs (less than $10??). But I'm not sure I could fetch much more for either unless fortune was on my side. There's something appealing about selling them outright instead of dealing with auctions, which I've never done.
Old 10-03-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ What newtownvideo.com pays for a DVD is greatly influenced by what they have in stock, bookcase3. The value of SOTL: CC has gone down significantly since the MGM 2-disc CE came out (having only a unique audio commentary to its credit now), so several people sold theirs to them for more than $10. This is why they are only going for $10 there now. You'll notice if you click "Sell" on a disc you have, it adds it to your sell cart. Now look again at what they will pay for another copy of that same disc and chances are, it will be $1 less. So... if you have rare stuff (even if it is a sucky snapper title like Camelot for $5.43), you might be able to get some good money out of it if they don't have it in stock already.
Old 10-03-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

holy shit. newtownvideo is about 3 times what second spin offered for a bunch I quoted yesterday. good thing I didn't go through with it.
Old 10-03-07, 04:32 PM

Yeah, and make sure that the UPS code is the same.

DVD planet is easy because they usually only have one listing of a title. Newtown video has nearly every UPC code that is available for certain titles. Even DVDs that are in two and three packs.

I've been searching on their site, I've found around 30-40 OOP DVDs that they will pay between $20 and $50 for.

Saxon
Old 10-03-07, 05:56 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I thought the previous owner of newtowndvd.com didnt pay people when it was under a different name. Is it safe to use them? They used to be called uzed.com and closed up?

Last edited by g; 10-03-07 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by g
I thought the previous owner of newtowndvd.com didnt pay people when it was under a different name. Is it safe to use them? They used to be called uzed.com and closed up?
i read something like that on this forum a while ago as well.
Old 10-04-07, 11:11 AM

Has anyone recently had any success in dealing with newtownvideo.com recently? Or for that matter, any horror stories?
Old 10-04-07, 11:14 AM

Like I said above. I've done two deals in the last month and I just submitted two more recently.

I've had nothing but great service so far. I got paid by check once and that came very quickly. Got paid by Paypal the other time and that came even faster.

I highly recommend them.

Saxon
Old 10-04-07, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by hindolio
i read something like that on this forum a while ago as well.
Here is the thread, with links to external sites stating issues: link
Old 10-04-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dammit, I didn't know about this Newtownvideo either. I sold my old crap-ass Simitar dvd of Bay of Blood (that I originally bought for $6.99) to a local shop for $4 because of the new Bava Box coming out, and this Newtown place says they will buy it for $23! I should've known something was up when those assholes at the local store turned around and put a resale price tag of $45 on the sucker.
Old 10-04-07, 12:20 PM

Hopefully newtown has their act together now. I have some stuff that I want to get rid of, and they are overall offering the most.
Old 10-04-07, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy
Dammit, I didn't know about this Newtownvideo either. I sold my old crap-ass Simitar dvd of Bay of Blood (that I originally bought for $6.99) to a local shop for $4 because of the new Bava Box coming out, and this Newtown place says they will buy it for $23! I should've known something was up when those assholes at the local store turned around and put a resale price tag of $45 on the sucker.
I doubt anyone will pay $45 for that disc especially now that the remastered AB version is coming out soon. That version should trump the old Simitar disc completely. Your local store will be lucky to get their $4 back on it now. Newtown probably has no clue the film is aka "TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE" and coming back out soon.
Old 10-04-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
I doubt anyone will pay $45 for that disc especially now that the remastered AB version is coming out soon. That version should trump the old Simitar disc completely. Your local store will be lucky to get their $4 back on it now. Newtown probably has no clue the film is aka "TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE" and coming back out soon.
That local store (CD Warehouse) does that all the time. They buy up old OOP dvds that already or soon will have BETTER special editions out there (with new anamorphic transfers and extras) and price them outrageously high simply because they are out of print. I feel like telling them how ridiculous it is, and asking if they actually ever get rid of them...but I don't because every once in awhile I can go and unload my crap version of something that I know is out of print, and they will give me $10 for it, and I'll turn that around to buy the new one. The way I see it is that there must be some poor schmuck out there paying buttloads for these things for them to keep doing it. Maybe if they don't sell, they send them off to Newtownvideo, ha! Believe me, I have seen some doozies in that store. Puppet Master (part 5, I think it was) priced at $82, the old Caligula at $56, the NON-Criterion Rebecca for $73, and my old She Killed in Ecstasy Synapse disc (for which they gave me $10) for $45 (and that one's been sitting there for over three months).

My reason for all the hair pulling is that if they knew they were gonna price my Bay of Blood at $45, they could've given me at least $10 for it like they have for those in the past (Black Sabbath, the Time Life Ren & Stimpy discs, etc.).

Last edited by dullboy; 10-04-07 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 04:16 PM

Half Price Books does this as well.

Exit to Eden for $25. Good luck!

Saxon
Old 10-04-07, 04:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaking of oop, there appeared a link to a web site, "mysongofthesouth" as a sponsored link. Has anyone used this? They claim to have an unedited dvd that appears to have been released at Disney Paris and will play on R1 machines. Any information?
Old 10-04-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dullboy
the NON-Criterion Rebecca for $73
That is a little high, but not completely out of the range of retail prices for that item, FYI.
Old 10-04-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wesferrell
Speaking of oop, there appeared a link to a web site, "mysongofthesouth" as a sponsored link. Has anyone used this? They claim to have an unedited dvd that appears to have been released at Disney Paris and will play on R1 machines. Any information?
its a boot.
Old 10-05-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was looking at Newtownvideo.com's buying prices and some of them seem significantly out of line with what the DVDs go for on the secondary market. For example, newtownvideo is buying Mikyuki-chan in Wonderland for $14.27, while SecondSpin and another seller are selling that title for $5.99 on Amazon Marketplace.

With a computer program that could analyze buying and selling prices across multiple online sites and automate much of the purchasing and selling process one could conceivable make a little money on volume exploiting the price differences: DVD arbitrage. I think I'll stick with soybean futures though. :wink:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.