Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A Virtually Unknown/Rare Album that You would Recommend...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be a great way for us to share some super inputs on obscure music artists or underrated albums....

Which album in your collection would you consider obscure, unknown and underrated, yet amongst the greatest albums of all time?

For me, its "Fur and Gold" by Bat for Lashes (fronted by Pakistani singer Natasha Khan) - its the best Bjork record that Bjork never made...
Old 09-28-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Woodentops "Giant" 1986 (maybe not that rare, but certainly got overlooked)

from AMG:

This album, the group's best, explores a wide range of variations on the band's signature manic pop style, here adding occasional marimba, trumpet, accordion, and strings to the mix. The nervous single "Get It On" is presented in an intricately redone version, an improvement over its appearance on Well Well Well. Other great jittery numbers here include the frantic "Love Train" and "Travelling Man," as well as the stun-level manic "Shout" and "Hear Me James." The midtempo numbers here are generally excellent, especially the warmly expressive "Good Thing" and the lovely, loping "Give It Time." "Last Time" is a sadly yearning number with some odd touches that nearly undermine its mood, while "So Good Today" is a breezy, accordion-dominated selection that shamelessly flirts with wimpiness and only partially escapes. "Everything Breaks" manages to combine martial drums, funk guitar touches, a ringing arrangement, and production-number aspirations into one very effective package. There are also two songs that are just plain wacky fun, the nerdy Devo-inspired number "History" and the hiccuping fiddle-flecked song "Love Affair with Everyday Living." Production values here are utterly inspired. If you like pure, bouncy pop, you'll love this release.
Old 09-28-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Might Could

Their albums are only available off their website.

It is four guitarists, all instrumental. Ignore the blurb about heavy metal below, they are very acoustic sounding and mellow. There are a few free MP3s on their page.

Might Could tries to entertain listeners by creating and performing songs with rhythmically interesting, tight, and neatly interlocking parts. We aim to serve as a contrast to guitar albums filled with endless soloing. People have told us our songs seem to draw from influences ranging from heavy metal to progressive rock to jazz, and we've been compared to King Crimson, the California Guitar Trio, Steve Morse, Michael Hedges, and Béla Bartók. The lineup consists of Andy Tillotson, Tim McCaskey, and Aaron Geller on guitar, with Luis Nasser on bass detail. We are based around College Park, MD, and enjoy playing in the Washington and Baltimore areas.
Thanks to this thread, and pulling up their site, I would have never known a new album was done. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 09-28-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
There are a couple of Canadian albums that immediately spring to mind whenever a question like this is asked.
First, the best album I have ever heard, "Tom Cochrane and Red Rider" (1986) by Tom Cochrane. Sounds like a greatest hits album, with great song after great song and only one dud.
Then there is the arcane duo Strange Advance, who made three classic synth-pop albums in the '80s, each one of them incredible: "Worlds Away" (1983), "2wo" (1985), and "The Distance Between" (1988).
Another great obscure (I think) album is "Space Flower" by British band The Wild Swans.
Edited to add: "Hats" (1989) by Blue Nile and "Fields of Fire" (1986) by Corey Hart (don't laugh, it's excellent).

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 09-28-07 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-28-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 09-28-07, 10:28 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

My suggestion would be Rainy Day, a one-off album of covers by an ad hoc collection of LA "Paisley Underground" stars like Susannah Hoffs, David Roback, Karl Precoda, and Michael Quercio. They covered such '60s-'70s classics as "John Riley", "Flying On the Ground Is Wrong", and "I'll Be Your Mirror." It's never been released on CD as far as I know, and I treasure my vinyl copy which I've had for more than 20 years.
Old 09-28-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're into post-punk at all, there's no reason this album shouldn't be part of your collection. That is, if you can find it anywhere... it's awesome.

Originally Posted by Allmusic.com
...Imagine Joy Division's "I Remember Nothing" and Talking Heads' "The Overload" on top of one another, doubled in heaviness.)...it's that kind of album that requires some mental preparation — Sleep No More is certainly more powerful, and it's also a greater achievement. Here, the Comsat Angels became one of the era's most exceptional bands.
Old 09-28-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Haynes Boys - Guardian Angel

This 1996 album was the only one put out by the band, led by Tim Easton (kind of obscure himself, I guess) before he went solo. If you like roots rock/alt country/whatever, this is a great album, start to finish. It was even cooler when I moved to Columbus and could pick out the Ohio references (315, Franklin County, etc.).

"Bitters Past" is one of my all time favorite songs:

I remember too many drinking songs
When I broke the bottle the drink was all gone
It’s a curse or worse the wine stained letters at the bottom of your purse
That say, "I miss hanging with you"
"I miss laying with you"
I don’t want to grow old drinking
But I want to grow old drinking with you

I know too many drinking songs
When I broke the bottle the songs were all gone
I’m uphill until I crack my skull on the wagon wheel
But still I miss driving to you
I miss riding with you

You bring the bottle, I'll bring the glass
We'll scrape the bottom and swallow the bitters past
I don't want to grow old just drinking
I could grow old drinking with you

I remember too many drinking songs
When I broke the bottle drink songs they'd both gone
It's a curse or worse the wine stained letters at the bottom of your purse
That say, "I miss hanging with you"
"I miss laying with you"
I don't want to grow old drinking

You bring the bottle, I'll bring the glass
We'll scrape the bottom
And swallow the bitters past
I don’t want to grow old always drinking
I could grow old drinking with you
Drinking with you
Drinking with you
Drinking with you
Drinking with you

There's some listed on Amazon Marketplace for really cheap. I saw a used copy at the CD Warehouse (or whatever it's called now) on Sawmill Rd. in Columbus, but that was last year before I moved. I almost bought it again, just in case I wanted to give it to somebody in the future, but I passed.

(Tim Easton's solo albums are great, too)
Old 09-28-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Scatterbrain - "Here Comes Trouble"
Old 09-28-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Black Lab - Your Body Above Me, hell, the other three are amazing too (See the Sun and Passion Leaves a Trace). Not a bad song on any of the three.
Old 09-28-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
My friend used to have that shirt. Man, that brings back memories.
Old 09-28-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
For me, its "Fur and Gold" by Bat for Lashes (fronted by Pakistani singer Natasha Khan) - its the best Bjork record that Bjork never made...
Just listening to that on the way into work today. Ist is a good album indeed.

Here's a few really hard to find ones:

Bongwater- "Double Bummer": sprawling double album of art-rock experimentation made by a bunch of NYC scene veterens and the actress Ann Magnuson. Weird , funny and totally unique.

Nation of Ulysses- "13 Point Plan to Destroy America": a forgotten Dischord Records punk classic that's fun and utterly explosive.

801- "Live": Brian Eno and Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera put together an insanely good band of prog/art rock viruosos and did a bunch of shows as 801 in the mid-seventies. On their one album, they start of with my favorite version of the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" ever and keep getting better. This also includes Eno deadpaning his way through "You Really Got Me". He's the anti-David Lee Roth.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-30-07 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-28-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
This would be a great way for us to share some super inputs on obscure music artists or underrated albums....

Which album in your collection would you consider obscure, unknown and underrated, yet amongst the greatest albums of all time?

If you are into power pop, The first disc by a local seattle band called Super deluxe is pretty good. They almost made it big, we're on a couple of soundtracks for movies.
Old 09-28-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Alejandro Escovedo
Thirteen Years - just a terrific studio disc, and my personal favorite
More Miles Than Money: Live 1994-1996 - live (duh) and certainly in his element

Why this guy isn't a household name is just beyond me. A powerful combo platter of alt-country and rock.

See him live for the full effect, where his Iggy cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog will melt your head. Out-fucking-standing.

Get a sample or two of Al's sound here: http://www.alejandroescovedo.com
There's a different embedded tune on each page, or check out Five Hearts Breaking from the Gravity disc:
http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/music/fivehearts.mp3

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-28-07 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-28-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
16 and Savaged by Silverhead. Released 1973. Bandmembers include Michael Des Barres on vocals and Robbie Blunt on guitar. Blunt later became a co-songwriter and guitarist on the early Robert Plant solo albums.
A friend in high school bought the 8-track because the girl on the cover looked like his ex-girlfriend. We would listen to it over and over driving around in his car. Probably not one of the greatest albums ever, but this baby rocks and one of the best albums nobody's heard of.
Old 09-28-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Robert Pollard/Doug Gillard - Speak Kindly of your Volunteer Fire Department

Old 09-28-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Alejandro Escovedo
Thirteen Years - just a terrific studio disc, and my personal favorite
More Miles Than Money: Live 1994-1996 - live (duh) and certainly in his element

Why this guy isn't a household name is just beyond me. A powerful combo platter of alt-country and rock.

See him live for the full effect, where his Iggy cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog will melt your head. Out-fucking-standing.

Get a sample or two of Al's sound here: http://www.alejandroescovedo.com
There's a different embedded tune on each page, or check out Five Hearts Breaking from the Gravity disc:
http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/music/fivehearts.mp3
Saw this guy on Austin City Limits (I think?) a couple months ago, and I was like "whoa, never heard of him, and he's awesome!"

My choice is not all that obscure, but it's Big Country's second album, Steeltown. With the subject matter, double guitars, and Steve Lillywhite's wall-of-sound production, it's like David Lean's Dr. Zhivago or some other widescreen epic. I always get annoyed when these guys are referred to as "one-hit wonders", when their first couple of albums, at least, were complete masterpieces. The drummer and bass player were (are) a world class rhythm section, who did a lot of studio work, and also toured as Pete Townshend's band in the 80's. And their double guitar sound was just awesome, IMO---acoustics, electrics, clean and distorted, heavy reverb, chorus, delays, tremolos, and the trademark e-bow--all utilized with great taste and a postpunk disdain for excessive soloing. Also great lyrics and songs from Stuart Adamson, RIP

And great live--here's the title track from a later concert:

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e3Veko70OfQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e3Veko70OfQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 09-28-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-28-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
The Woodentops "Giant" 1986 (maybe not that rare, but certainly got overlooked)
Really? It was a pretty popular college radio album at the time. I have it on vinyl and CD.
Old 09-28-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone ever hear of Thermadore? As far as I know, they only made one album and its pretty damn good.

Old 09-28-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Replicants - s/t

Replicants was a side project of Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards of Failure; Paul D'Amour, formerly of Tool, and Chris Pitman. The band recorded one album, comprised entirely of covers of musicians such as The Cars, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Steely Dan and Pink Floyd, among others. The album is known for pitting John Lennon's bitter slam against Paul McCartney, "How Do You Sleep?", against McCartney's more lighthearted "Silly Love Songs" within three tracks of each other.

Also, Failure's Fantastic Planet album is one of my desert island discs.
Old 09-28-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Masters of Reality - Sunrise on the Sufferbus - Awesome early 90s power trio...a throwback to classic rock that didn't sound dated (and still doesn't). Plus, somehow two young American kids managed to convince Ginger fucking Baker to be their drummer. There is absolutely no excuse for "She Got Me (When She Got Her Dress On)" not to be a classic rock radio staple. Amazing album.

The Actual Tigers - Gravelled & Green - 2001 album that sounds like Paul Simon's Graceland mixed with a stripped down Dave Matthews Band. Yeah, I know, it doesn't sound very appealing, but it's really quite awesome.

Jack Drag - Dope Box - Late 90s alternative/indie act. Don't know how to describe 'em but they're great.
Old 09-28-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
Really? It was a pretty popular college radio album at the time. I have it on vinyl and CD.
I'm sure it was on some college stations, but I'd bet many people have never heard of it.
Old 09-28-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know they were huge in the UK, but never made a dent across the pond. In my top 5 of all time.
Old 09-29-07, 01:51 AM

Both of these are trippy, psychedelic, and really great to chill out and listen to when working, exercising, or going to sleep:

Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious

Myspace
Amazon

and

Younger Brother - A Flock of Beeps

Myspace
Amazon
Old 09-29-07, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Beatles - Beatles
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction

come on...i had to be that guy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.