Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Popular Reality Shows on Unpopular Channels

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popular Reality Shows on Unpopular Channels

Maybe the thread title is misleading, because I don't mean "Unpopular" necessarily. More like channels not known for programming that falls outside their typical M.O.

I'm thinking specifically of The Natalie Gulbis Show, now in Season 3 on the Golf Channel, and Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team, returning for Season 2 on CMT. What are the chances shows like this will make it to DVD?

I mean, on the one hand, VH1 shows like Hogan Knows Best wind up as FYE exclusives, while others like The Surreal Life were website-only IIRC. And MTV's Carmen & Dave wedding show was sold at Target for a few weeks and then disappeared forever.

But on the other, CMT and the Golf Channel aren't getting the same revenue from their original programming that VH1 and MTV do, so maybe they'd be more willing to release stuff like that.

So has anyone heard anything about DVD releases of these shows, or have others they'd like to buy that you want to add to the list? Even TVShowsonDVD don't have listings for them yet.
Old 09-25-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's hard to believe that a DVD company wouldn't release a tv show about cheerleaders on DVD. It's like losing money. I still don't understand why tv shows are released so slowly on DVD in comparison to movies. At the rate TV shows are releases on DVD, it would take 100 years for the majority of tv shows to be released on DVD. I'm mainly waiting for more 80s cartoon tv shows to be released. I still don't understand if delays have to do mainly with rights. Is it common for long-forgotten tv show producers to be delaying DVD releases of their shows due to not agreeing on the money they will receive?
Old 09-25-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy watching The Coyote Ugly Ultimate Search on CMT. It's cheesy-bad fun, I might buy it if it was on DVD>
Old 09-25-07, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I really like a few of those VH-1 shows, "I Love the 70's & 80's" - but I don't think they'll ever be released on DVD with all the music rights and everything else.

I also like Celebrity Fit Club - but only one certain season of it. Who knows if they'll ever release that one either!
Old 09-25-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've always hoped that VH1's Bands on the Run would come to dvd but I guess it'll never happen.
Old 09-25-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I've always hoped that VH1's Bands on the Run would come to dvd but I guess it'll never happen.
Or even VH-1's Behind the Music also. There were a few good ones on there I was lucky to have taped - altho I wish I could have gotten the Styx one.
Old 09-27-07, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
YES! Every year or so I search the Internet for news of this - I thought that show was terrific.