Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New York, New York: 30th Anniversary Edition 12/4/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York, New York: 30th Anniversary Edition 12/4/07

Well according to DVDempire, this is coming out in December. Anyone agrees that it's kind of getting ridiculous the way they re-release so many movies lately?
Old 09-22-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The other disc was non-anamorphic though, so maybe this one will rectify that.

On the other hand, it was a SE, so this may just be a repackaging of the same disc but with a Fox logo.
Old 09-22-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was the disc in the box set not anamorphic? I have not watched it since it came out I guess.
Old 09-22-07, 12:43 PM

It only came out 2 1/2 years ago. I couldn't say for sure but I'd assume so.
Old 09-22-07, 12:54 PM

Some of these double dips are getting fucking painful. I just bought the Special Edition two weeks ago dammit...does this movie really warrent a double dip if a version just came out two and a half years ago?
Old 09-22-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i knew this would come out cos the R2UK has more extras than the current R1 disc....the problem is, i haven't picked up the current Martin Scorsese MGM boxset yet and iam not sure if i should or wait till they release new one with this SE...
Old 09-22-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, man, I have dipped on this so many times: First the RCA CED, then the CBS Fox Laserdisc (stereo soundtrack), then the MGM 2 disc LD version, then the MGM LD boxset, then the DVD (in the MGM Scorsese Box set). If there are significant improvements or additional features in the new edition, I'll dip again, but I almost hope there aren't.
Old 09-22-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't picked up the SE yet, so I'll wait to see if this release is worth it.
Old 09-22-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, of all the Scorsese movies to get a double dip, New York, New York was not one I was expecting.
Old 09-22-07, 06:04 PM

I own the UK disk (and never bothered with the R1) solely because of the 50+ minute documentary stripped from the US disk, but I'll be tempted to re-buy if the new disk is 16x9.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell from Fox's new packaging policy.
Old 09-22-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need a Bringing Out the Dead SE.
Old 09-22-07, 11:59 PM

Australia R4 only recently had a 2 disc set released (the same version as the disc R2) - see dvd.compare.net for the features. It's still the 1.66 non anamorphic version though.

agree with theWitcher's post - how the hell are we going to tell if FOX has released it in 16x9 - considering their lack of detail on recent releases ???
Old 09-23-07, 01:21 PM

Really though people, you don't need to scramble out on the tuesday it's released and buy it. If you have a special edition and are happy with it; leave it at that.

I remember seeing threads full of people complaining about flicks severely lacking special editions and the like, now that the market is getting flooded with SE re-releases and whatnot all I'm seeing in these pages are complaints.

You don't have to buy the thing, we should be thankful we're getting flooded with all the SE action thats happened in the last little bit.
Old 09-23-07, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Swahili
Really though people, you don't need to scramble out on the tuesday it's released and buy it. If you have a special edition and are happy with it; leave it at that.

I remember seeing threads full of people complaining about flicks severely lacking special editions and the like, now that the market is getting flooded with SE re-releases and whatnot all I'm seeing in these pages are complaints.

You don't have to buy the thing, we should be thankful we're getting flooded with all the SE action thats happened in the last little bit.
I totally agree with your points here - HOWEVER this title, Scorsese's New York New York, there are many dvd collectors who are keen to see 'what', if anything, will be done with regards to the anamorphic state of any re-release.

It's pretty piss poor of MGM/UA (and who ever they get to release their DVD titles these days !!) to release this title in a non- 16x9 format. Is it too difficult to put a 1.66:1 film into a 1.78:1 format ??

Further to the 'flood' of Special Editions - since its introduction of just over 10yrs ago - many titles have been double dipped, triple dipped, directors cut, extended cut, limited edition, steelbook etc etc etc. I can't think of ANY OTHER PRODUCT that has had so many incarnations or regurgitated as a film. And now it appears to be happening again with HD versions ! It gets a bit much when film companies keep doing this - however there is of course no obligation to 'playing this game' - many of the reasons why people aren't keen on HD.