Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I Keep The Old Release of The Shining and Get The New SE Too?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kubrick's The Shining is one of my favorite films. I've got the original disc but always anxiously awaited an SE that is finally coming out. However, now I'm hearing all this conflicting info about the new release versus the old one. I've heard everything from the new SE is missing 20-25 mins. from the original cut of the film to The original was filmed in Fullscreen and thus the new WS transfers is cropped. The extras seem promising, but I don't know about watching a cut and cropped version of the movie.

Does anyone know the definitive info on this?

I'm sure somebody's probably got a thread of this already, but I couldn't find it upon a quick search.

Last edited by stonecountry; 09-21-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 05:55 AM

The back cover of the new DVD shows a running time of 144 minutes. It will not be cut... I have no idea where you heard this rumor!

Kubrick's later films were shot 4:3 open-matte, projected theatrically at 1.85:1 (matted), and thus far, have been open-matte on DVD. The back cover of the new DVD shows that The Shining will be 1.85:1. So yes, the new DVD will have a small portion of the image missing on the top and bottom. If it's that important to you, hold on to the old DVD (although the new DVD will have a better transfer).

But see Kubrick's Wikipedia entry about the aspect ratio of his films, which suggests that Kubrick may have composed his shots with 1.85:1 in mind all along:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley...k#Aspect_ratio

Last edited by starseed; 09-21-07 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 06:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the release date on this?!?
Old 09-21-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
What's the release date on this?!?
seriously? do you live under a rock?
Old 09-21-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
No, it's just I don't have every DVD release date committed to memory.
Old 09-21-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This movie was in the Wal-Mart dump bin over a year ago (seriously), so it's not as if you're going to get much for it anyway. Unless you're totally cramped for space or someone you know wants it, keep the old version, if only just for a little while to do comparisons.
Old 09-21-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You silly, silly man! If there's anything I've learned from visiting DVDTalk is that you MUST (seriously MUST - you have no choice in the matter) own every version of every movie on this earth. SE? Of course! Steelbook? Don't be stupid - YES! Multiple versions of same movie with different packaging? YES, YES, OH GOD YES! Rerelease with a few crappy extras? Is there any questions - YES!

So I guess my advice is to keep both.
Old 09-21-07, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
So what if he does? I spent the summer of '97 living under a rock. Oh what a glorious summer.
Old 09-21-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't even remember the summer of '97... Pretty sure I was on Phish tour that year.

Stone - The Shining was shot for 1.85:1 and released open-matte on DVD... If you're only going to keep one then go with the new one. Myself, I'm a Kubrick geek, I'm keeping the old versions and buying the new set. And yeah, where on Earth did you hear that it would be cut? Not a chance.
Old 09-21-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stonecountry
I've heard everything from the new SE is missing 20-25 mins. from the original cut of the film
People have asked whether the DVD would include the European cut, recut by Kubrick himself, as an extra (which, apparently, it won't); you probably heard a telephone version of this.

The original was filmed in Fullscreen and thus the new WS transfers is cropped.
Of all of the Kubrick fullscreen movies, 'The Shining' is the one with the most evidence that he intended it to be composed for 1.85
Old 09-21-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
You silly, silly man! If there's anything I've learned from visiting DVDTalk is that you MUST (seriously MUST - you have no choice in the matter) own every version of every movie on this earth. SE? Of course! Steelbook? Don't be stupid - YES! Multiple versions of same movie with different packaging? YES, YES, OH GOD YES! Rerelease with a few crappy extras? Is there any questions - YES!

So I guess my advice is to keep both.
I think that should be part of the Forum rules of DVDTalk & if anyone breaks this rule, YOU WILL BE BANNED!

The mod will say, ‘you silly, silly man!’ & the just like that, you’re no longer a DVDTalk member.

Since riotinmyskull is questioning whether or not you live under a rock or not, zombiezilla, the release date for the new edition of The Shining on DVD is October 23rd. Remember, PICK IT UP!
Old 09-21-07, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed

The back cover of the new DVD shows a running time of 144 minutes. It will not be cut... I have no idea where you heard this rumor!

Kubrick's later films were shot 4:3 open-matte, projected theatrically at 1.85:1 (matted), and thus far, have been open-matte on DVD. The back cover of the new DVD shows that The Shining will be 1.85:1. So yes, the new DVD will have a small portion of the image missing on the top and bottom. If it's that important to you, hold on to the old DVD (although the new DVD will have a better transfer).

But see Kubrick's Wikipedia entry about the aspect ratio of his films, which suggests that Kubrick may have composed his shots with 1.85:1 in mind all along:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley...k#Aspect_ratio

That's the HD-DVD version of it, which is 144 minutes. However, there has been a lot of speculation of whether the standard DVD release will be 144 minutes, or the shorter, 119 minute cut, as reported on both Amazon and WarnerBros.
Old 09-21-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember all the different sources I've heard mixed info from exactly, but I know for a fact Amazon is one. Of course, much of this could be error on the part of Amazon mixed with public reactionary speculation to that error.

http://www.amazon.com/Shining-Two-Di...0401468&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...R256E8MRIYEMGV

So, I suppose I understand what you guys are saying about it being shot intended to be shown WS but in a way that it wouldn't look so crappy on TVs as well...pretty innovative if you ask me. I wish more people would do this today as I have yet to get a good WS TV.
Old 09-21-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts
I think you should keep both versions. If you have a smaller TV 27" or less, I think the open-matte version is the more satisfying experience. For HDTV, definitely, the 1.85:1 version. So, you can have the best of both worlds keeping both versions. I've always seen THE SHINING in open-matte, and that looks "normal" to me, so I still prefer that version... Kubrick himself would probably have embraced the 16x9 trend, but at the time THE SHINING was made, he had the 1.33:1 TV frame in mind, so I guess both versions were acceptable to him...
Old 09-21-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

He had the 1.33:1 TV frame in mind but it still had to be shot to look fine in theaters. I want widescreen.
Old 09-21-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
These new Kubrick set s are seriously making me think of jumping to HD sooner rather than later. I really don't want to buy the new releases on DVD just to rebuy them in a few months on HD.
Old 09-21-07, 08:40 PM
Banned

Wow, thanks for this info, everyone. I was holding off on buying the first release because of rumors (for the last couple'a years, actually) about an upcoming SE. But shot open-matte, I think I'll wait until a couple of weeks after the SE gets released, and pick up the open matte version (used). There'll probably be no shortage of them.

Oh and to whoever asked if I live under a rock...yeah, it's that big rock in your Mom's backyard.
Old 09-21-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
I don't even remember the summer of '97... Pretty sure I was on Phish tour that year.
If you caught their Berlin show, then I probably partied with you.
Old 09-21-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
According to Amazon it's going to be released on Oct 23rd. and has a running time of 119 minutes. Which is shorter. That kills it for me. I was thinking of getting this but it's a shorter movie for some reason.
Old 09-22-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JOE29
According to Amazon it's going to be released on Oct 23rd. and has a running time of 119 minutes. Which is shorter. That kills it for me. I was thinking of getting this but it's a shorter movie for some reason.
If you read the posts above, Amazon's shorter runtime is not confirmed by anyone as being accurate and may simply be a mistake.
Old 09-22-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Sorry in advance for the big post.

Okay so apparently this 119 minute cut is the International/European cut. Kubrick cut it down to this length after mixed reviews about his 143 minute cut. Here are what the cuts are:

8/ Why are there two versions of The Shining? What was filmed but cut out?
The two version of The Shining are the US cut with has a running time of 144 minutes and the international version which is 20 minutes shorter. Both versions have the status of "director's cuts" as Kubrick made the cuts himself.

In November 1980 Monthly Film Bulletin ran a piece itemising the differences between versions (1) . Here is a summary of that article:

Scene cut from the US version during 1st run:

(1) A two-minute sequence was deleted from the end of the film in the first weeks of its run. A coda to Wendy and Danny's escape (which followed the shot of Jack frozen in the maze). This showed Wendy being visited in hospital by Ullman, and his complimenting her on having survived. (2)

After playing to what Movie Comment calls "generally bad reviews and erratic box-office in America," the film was preview-tested before its opening in London and a further twenty-five minutes were cut.

Scenes cut from the international version:

(1) Part of Jack's interview at the Overlook Hotel.

(2) Danny's examination by a doctor (Anne Jackson)

(3) Part of the tour of the Overlook with Ullman, Jack and Wendy, including the dialogue in the Colorado Lounge and The beginning of the scene where Ullman shows Jack and Wendy the hotel grounds and the scene leading up to Dick Hallorann's first appearance where Ullman shows off "The Gold Room"

(4) Part of Danny's conversation alone with Hallorann

(5) The end of the Torrances' first scene in the hotel, when Wendy brings Jack his breakfast

(6) Immediately after the scene in which Wendy and Danny explore the maze, a sequence has been cut in which Wendy is seen working in the kitchen while a TV announcer talks of a search in the mountains for a missing woman

(7) THURSDAY title card

(8) Wendy and Danny watching the Summer of '42 on television.

(9) dialogue from the middle of the scene in which Jack first goes to the Gold Room

(10) Wendy is seen crying and talking to herself about the possibility of getting down the mountain in the snowcat, and of calling the Forest Rangers

(11) Dick Hallorann again tries to get through to the Overlook by calling the Ranger station.

(12) 8AM title card

(13) Hallorann asks a stewardess what time they are due to land in Denver; she tells him 8.20 and he checks his watch. Jack is seen typing in the lounge of the Overlook. Hallorann's plane lands at the airport. Larry Durkin (Tony Burton), a garage owner, answers his phone and talks to Hallorann, who asks for a snowcat to get up to the Overlook.

(14) GS: "A whole scene where Danny is watching TV (a Roadrunner cartoon). After talking to Danny (I think telling him to stay there) Wendy picks up the baseball bat and exits (on her way into the Colorado lounge). I was particularly proud of the way I 'choreographed' the cartoon music on the TV with Wendy's movements. There was then a long dissolve, as the cartoon music faded, to Wendy entering the Colorado lounge. After a pause I then gently faded in the start of the Penderecki music as Wendy walks towards Jack's desk."

(15) The beginning of the scene in which Wendy finds Jack's type-written pages covered with "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (GS: This then is really cut (14), i.e. the second half of the dissolve plus a few more seconds of Wendy walking into the Colorado lounge)

(16) A tableau in which skeletons are sitting at a table with a champagne bottle and glasses.

Notes
(1) You can read the whole article at on-line at Stanley Kubrick 1928-1999 (back)

(2) GS thinks Ullman's hospital visit was cut out after a preview in America, just before the film was released. (back)
Here's a link to that actual article. Thanks goes to Nagash from GameFAQs for showing me the site.
Old 09-22-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh and to whoever asked if I live under a rock...yeah, it's that big rock in your Mom's backyard.
well then she should've told you about this release because even she knew about it.
Old 09-22-07, 08:17 AM
Banned

She couldn't talk, except to say "mphulpmmmmmgulpmmmm". Oh, and she said to say hello to you.
Old 09-22-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

She couldn't talk, except to say "mphulpmmmmmgulpmmmm". Oh, and she said to say hello to you.
Was she holding a glass of rum in her hand?
Old 09-22-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so the bottom line is that it sux to live in the UK.

God bless the U.S.A.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.