Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any new Xmas music on the way?? (Yeah..I know its still some time until 25 Dec!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any new Xmas music on the way?? (Yeah..I know its still some time until 25 Dec!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this early for some, but I'm pretty obsessive about Christmas music. Each year, I spend up almost 3 months perfecting a Christmas mix for my family and firends.

Since the first holiday CDs of the year start appearing sometime around the end of September/beginning of October, its almost time to start up again.

I took a quick look at Amazon, and the pickings look pretty slim this year in terms of new Xmas music. Last year, about this time, we were hit with Aimee Mann and Sarah McLachlan holiday CDs. This year, at best, I've seen a compilation from the Smithereeens that could be cool (love their version of Rudolph) and one from Rick Springfield that could go either way.

Does anyone know of any other interesting Xmas music due this year that I might have missed?

I don't mind going to the classics, but I always like to introduce some new or obscure stuff along the way.
Old 09-19-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm excited about the new Josh Groban "Noel" CD being released October 9. The same day, a new Mannheim Steamroller xmas CD is coming out, although none of their xmas CDs compare to their first two.

I usually begin listening to holiday music in October every year -- it just lifts my spirit. The best one to be released in many years was Sarah McLachlan's last year.
Old 09-19-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Billy Idol's Happy Holidays from last year was interesting.
Country fans can look forward to:
Toby Keith "A Classic Christmas" (2 CDs) (Oct. 16, 2007)
Martina Mcbride "White Christmas" (1998 CD now with 16 tracks & new artwork) (Oct. 9, 2007)
Randy Travis "Songs of the Season" (Sept. 25, 2007)
Old 09-19-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It was released last year, but if you don't have it, Sufjan Stevens' Songs for Christmas is excellent. He records a special Christmas EP for family and friends every year. This is the first 5 bundled together.
Old 09-19-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
This is all I've ever needed:

Old 09-19-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Sister Hazel has a Christmas CD coming out.
Old 09-19-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's September. You're a few months late. It's ok.
Old 09-26-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
From MusicTap:

Time/Life has a holiday DVD arriving for Tom Jones. The Christmas special is called This is Tom Jones Christmas. For those with the funnybones – I’m not one of them – watch for Christmastime in Larryland from Larry the Cable Guy. One more WB scheduled holiday album comes from Dionne Warwick called My Favorite Time of the Year. All of the albums listed are planned for October 30.
Old 09-26-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
This is all I've ever needed:

That's pure shit. I just actually watched SP christmas ep the other day. That's some funny shit.
Old 09-27-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read about something that might be of interest on Pitchfork:

linky

It's only two months until December... just in time for the Rockabye Baby series to wrap up a nifty little package full of meta with their Lullabye Renditions of Christmas Rock Classics CD. Featuring soothing, toddler-friendly takes on such otherwise-punishing holiday classics as Death Cab's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" and Sufjan's "Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time!" (from that big box o' Suffy Xmas jams) and tracks by the Killers, the Smashing Pumpkins, the Ramones, and more, the disc collects 13 tracks sure to beam visions of sugarplum fairies directly down to your tiny tot come Tannenbaum time.
It may or may or may not be of help, as I'm not sure if you're an indie person.

-ringding-
Old 09-27-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
It was released last year, but if you don't have it, Sufjan Stevens' Songs for Christmas is excellent. He records a special Christmas EP for family and friends every year. This is the first 5 bundled together.
I highly recommend that one too, my wife listens to it throughout the year. We also really like the Christmas album by the band Low, it has beautiful renditions of some classics, as well as some great originals.
Old 09-27-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yeah, it's September. You're a few months late. It's ok.
Last Sunday I saw a Christmas tree display set up in a store window... I wasn't joking about the OP being "late".

There's a Christmas tribute to Metallica coming out soon. The sound samples I heard sounded just like midi files with sleigh bells added.

Twisted Sister has a Christmas concert DVD coming out too.
Old 09-28-07, 02:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My favorite Christmas songs are songs that sound like the band's regular output but just have a Christmas theme to the lyrics.
Old 09-28-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Be sure to include Fishbone's "Slick Nick, You Devil You" on your mix that you give the family. That is a must for family Christmas listening.
Old 11-09-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Jars of Clay recently released a Christmas album. I've listened to a little bit of it and it's good.

Target has some exclusive, low-priced CDs. The only ones that I remember are by Taylor Swift and KT Tunstall.

I broke out the Christmas music last weekend, since every year I compile a CD and send it out as a Christmas card of sorts. I want to get it out early this year, but we'll see.