Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Kino Release of The Cat and the Canary (1927)?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-18-07, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard about this today, and couldn't find anything via the search feature.

http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=880

Does anyone have additional details?
Old 09-18-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like it's also part of a larger Kino box set which includes a bonus documentary disc as well.Although I already own The Man Who Laughs, I may pick up the set. Price seems quite reasonable, $34.96 from DVD Planet:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/details.cfm?info=KOV005722

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-18-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 10:34 PM

I too am interested in seeing the DVD. IMAGE had an early David Shepard edition that was of decent quality which was superceded by a 2nd IMAGE and Shepard release from a new 35mm source which was FAR superior to the previous disc. I recommend that one highly. This KINO release is from a Photoplay restoration and these guys are the probably the best in the realm of silent film restorations. Along with the skills and knowledge obviously, they have the kind of funding available that other folks (like Shepard) don't have at their disposal.

It will be interesting to see how it compares with the IMAGE disc.
Old 09-19-07, 05:00 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, that 2nd Image disc blew me away with its improvement in quality compared to the first disc. I want more details!!!
Old 09-19-07, 05:02 PM
Cool New Member

Shit...I already own 3 of the 4 movies on that set! But I really want to see that documentary...I wonder if Netflix will ever get this. Yeah, riiiiight....
Old 09-23-07, 01:08 PM
Cool New Member

I just noticed that the Kino web site says that the run time is 81 minutes. My recent Image disc has a run time of 85 minutes. Discussions on other sites have alleged that the Photoplay restoration has expanded the title sequence...how can it be shorter?

Did anyone see the recent TCM showing of the Photoplay restoration? I've heard the picture quality was much improved over the recent Image disc, but the latter was so amazing that I'm having a hard time picturing this...
Old 09-23-07, 03:45 PM

Well, I didn't see the broadcast but I kind of agree, the last release was pretty amazing. I am very curious about seeing this myself. Doubtful Netflix will have this with copies already on hand...

I wish Photoplay would tackle THE MAN WHO LAUGHS. The Kino edition was pretty darn good, but needed new title cards and some digital work done. The source prints used we in really good shape from what it looks like. The Columbia release of THE MATINEE IDOL is a prime example what digital restoration can do in making a classic film new again.
Old 09-23-07, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

That would be fantastic. While they're at it, they could also touch up the silent version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I love that movie (even if the narrative goes off the deep end...).
Old 09-29-07, 09:46 AM

This review was posted on DVD TALK. It has confirmed a concern I had about the transfer...it appears to be a PAL to NTSC conversion and exhibits the same visual "ghosting" problems typical for this. The Milestone Films DVD release of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was marred by same problem. Why would they bother?

"Which is better; this Kino edition or the previous Image release?:

The two releases of this movie both look very good. They represent two different restorations and they are just about equal in quality. The Image version features a restoration by David Shepard and Film Preservation Associates and it has a bit more grain in the picture than this Kino version, and is slightly darker in places. The Shepard restoration is tinted however, and the image is just a tad sharper than the Photoplay release. The Image release also has more information at the top of the picture. If it wasn't for the PAL to NTSC conversion on this Kino disc and the flaws related to that, I'd say that the two discs were of similar quality."
Old 09-29-07, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

I saw that. It's pretty depressing. Since it's not really an improvement over the Image release, I canceled my pre-order. Oh well...
Old 09-29-07, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by KingSausage
I saw that. It's pretty depressing. Since it's not really an improvement over the Image release, I canceled my pre-order. Oh well...
Well, its not so bad....we now know that it probably isn't better than the IMAGE disc we already have (which we were convinced couldn't be significantly improved upon anyway)...IMAGE apparently has the edge in extras AND musical scores....

We just saved 20 bucks!

I'm just surprised KINO would bother since they are using a PAL converted transfer. I MAY have bought it anyway (because I'm wacky that way) but this killed the deal for me.
Old 09-29-07, 11:42 PM

Slighty off the direct topic, but if you guys haven't seen this...you need to. Its a great effort and is a pretty amazing accomplishment and absolutely dead on....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19599

Being a fan of both silent films AND Golden Age horror fiction, I give this a HUGE thumbs up.
Old 09-30-07, 07:45 PM
Cool New Member

That looks great! I'm adding it to my Netflix queue.

The only reason I guess I'm sad is that I wanted to see the history of silent horror documentary disc. Oh well...
Old 12-08-07, 06:05 AM

Well, I aquired a copy of the new Kino disc of CAT AND THE CANARY and I'm actually puzzled as to why they would bother (now that I've seen it)...the Photoplay Restoration doesn't amount to much from what I can see. It appears to be no different to my eyes than the IMAGE Shepard disc. Both have really good clarity but have a good share of vertical scratches and general wear that could have been digitally corrected, but wasn't.

There seems to be a school of thought by some that digitally manipulating/correcting these flaws is still "tampering with the original" and I'm wondering if thats why we see so little digital work done in some restorations...

Last edited by Carcosa; 12-08-07 at 10:35 AM.