Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Basket Case 2 comming to DVD! 10/30/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Basket Case 2 comming to DVD! 10/30/07

Thats right, the movie you have all been waiting for is up for preorder on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Case-Ws...0068493&sr=1-2
Now we can finally complete our trilogy on dvd
Old 09-18-07, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohhhh yes. These sort of announcements are what makes checking DVD sites worth it, over and over again. Bring on some more 80s/90s horror please! Night Of The Demons 2 and Basket Case 2....What a combo
Old 09-18-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even better news is that Synapse is putting it out, so you know we're going to get great audio, a spectacular transfer and some great extras. This has been a great fall DVD season for horror fans.
Old 09-18-07, 11:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Synapse edition = sale!
Old 09-18-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I have never heard of this...can someone help me out?
Old 09-18-07, 12:05 PM

i find it odd, that Synapse's website gives no details on the extras
Old 09-18-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
I have never heard of this...can someone help me out?
It came after Basket Case and before Basket Case 3.
Old 09-18-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as it's not full screen like part 3.

I think they need a Basket Case set that comes in a mini wicker basket case.
Old 09-19-07, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
As long as it's not full screen like part 3.
...and part 1.

Image Entertainment/Something Weird Video did a fantastic job with the Basket Case 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD (released in 2001) but I wish they would have given it a 1.78:1 16x9 enhanced transfer instead of opting for 1.33:1 open-matte. It's obvious the film played in theaters and I highly doubt any of them projected it in 1.33:1. Still, other than the aspect ratio, the transfer looks great and the extras are very entertaining.

I was never a fan of Basket Case 2 and Basket Case 3: The Progeny. Although the original has its fair share of black comedy, it manages to pull off enough suspense to play as a horror film. The sequels are nothing but comedy, no suspense at all.
Old 09-24-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

box art is up

reveals a bit too much for my tastes
Old 09-25-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
...and part 1.

Image Entertainment/Something Weird Video did a fantastic job with the Basket Case 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD (released in 2001) but I wish they would have given it a 1.78:1 16x9 enhanced transfer instead of opting for 1.33:1 open-matte. It's obvious the film played in theaters and I highly doubt any of them projected it in 1.33:1. Still, other than the aspect ratio, the transfer looks great and the extras are very entertaining.
The first film was released at 1.33:1 since that was it's original ratio! The director did not film it with matting in mind. And wasn't aware he had no control or choice on what ratio the film was presented in. So since most theaters at that time didn't project 1.33:1 anymore. Everything was matted to 1.85:1 at the very least. And Basket Case looked terrible with everything being so cropped. That the director wisely opted for 1.:33:1 only on dvd. The composition looks much better that way.

Zoom in to 1.85:1 on your widescreen tv/computer monitor and tell me the framing won't look odd and badly composed! Just watching how cramped some scenes already were in 1.33:1,it would be a mess when matted!
Old 09-25-07, 01:09 PM

let me ask the question a second time: any news of the SE's supplement material?
Old 10-11-07, 10:51 AM

from xploited website dvd listing:

DVD FEATURES
Anamorphic (16:9) Widescreen [1.78:1] High-Definition Transfer from the Original 35mm Negative
English audio
"Man in the Moon Mask" Interview with David Emge
“Beyond the Wicker” - a behind-the–scenes look at the Making of BASKET CASE 2
Old 10-11-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the original being in fullscreen adds to the whole VHS simulation mentality. Honestly, I don't think Basket Case is a movie that makes your HDTV drip with joy and is a crucial reason to have an analog TV on hand...and the VHS for it if you own it. It's nice to get a guilty pleasure horror flick in 16:9 like Deadly Friend or From Beyond (the latter ain't a guilty pleasure though, it's a great movie period), but even if you watch the VHS version it still gives a nice throwback to watching the movies in the 80's.

Not that I PREFER fullscreen (I've been an adamant widescreen supporter since I got into DVD), but if it's not a major deal to the movie itself (i.e. quality of the film, if OAR is essential to presentation) I don't mind.

That's why I'm not all that bothered by movies like the Death Wish sequels and Remo Williams being fullscreen on DVD. Those movies are so cheesy and so unbelievably grounded in the 80's that watching them in anything but fullscreen is just too high class, that they belong grounded to simulating the VHS.
Old 10-11-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I think the original being in fullscreen adds to the whole VHS simulation mentality. Honestly, I don't think Basket Case is a movie that makes your HDTV drip with joy and is a crucial reason to have an analog TV on hand...and the VHS for it if you own it. It's nice to get a guilty pleasure horror flick in 16:9 like Deadly Friend or From Beyond (the latter ain't a guilty pleasure though, it's a great movie period), but even if you watch the VHS version it still gives a nice throwback to watching the movies in the 80's.

Not that I PREFER fullscreen (I've been an adamant widescreen supporter since I got into DVD), but if it's not a major deal to the movie itself (i.e. quality of the film, if OAR is essential to presentation) I don't mind.

That's why I'm not all that bothered by movies like the Death Wish sequels and Remo Williams being fullscreen on DVD. Those movies are so cheesy and so unbelievably grounded in the 80's that watching them in anything but fullscreen is just too high class, that they belong grounded to simulating the VHS.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Basket Case was not released in fullscreen to 'simulate VHS'. If you watch the original Media VHS of the film. You will find that it looks like pure crap and is severely dark in the nighttime scenes,that you can't see a thing at all! Meanwhile on the dvd which is restored,you can make out what is happening in the opening sequence and others unlike on the VHS. And it looks great,while still having a gritty raw grainy texture to it all.
Old 10-11-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
That doesn't make any sense at all. Basket Case was not released in fullscreen to 'simulate VHS'. If you watch the original Media VHS of the film. You will find that it looks like pure crap and is severely dark in the nighttime scenes,that you can't see a thing at all! Meanwhile on the dvd which is restored,you can make out what is happening in the opening sequence and others unlike on the VHS. And it looks great,while still having a gritty raw grainy texture to it all.
Oh, I know that wasn't the motive, I was just trying to illustrate the point that I didn't mind the movie being in fullscreen. Just an opinion.
Old 10-31-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVD Talk review is up
here
Old 11-01-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Made it to Aint It Cool's October DVD pick list
Originally Posted by Harry
I came to Austin in 1989 – and sometime after that – within the first year back – I got a free pass to go see BASKET CASE 2. My father and I joked about what sort of schlock we were in line for – but once inside… much to our surprise we were told by Louis Black, editor of the Chronicle, that we were at the World Premiere of BASKET CASE 2 and that Frank Henenlotter, the director was there. I was not familiar with his work yet – but this film cracked my skull wide open and quickly thereafter I discovered the early works of Peter Jackson and Stuart Gordon and yes – everything from Henenlotter. This Halloween – if you want a funny fucked up horror flick that’ll tickle and rip out your funnybone. Here ya go!
Old 11-09-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now Just
$10.42 from DVD Planet (after 20% off)
or
$10.78 from Deep Discount (after 20% off)
Old 11-09-07, 12:45 PM
Cool New Member

Yep, I'll definitely pick it up (and keep my 4:3 versions on Dutch VHS and the Brit DVD as well).
Any word on part 3 hitting DVD in 16:9 ?
Old 11-09-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Now Just
$10.42 from DVD Planet (after 20% off)
or
$10.78 from Deep Discount (after 20% off)
Or $5.85 (plus tax on $15.85) at Buy.com (with CGO "first-time" discount).

I chuckle at all these Deep Discount "deals".
Old 11-09-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
Or $5.85 (plus tax on $15.85) at Buy.com (with CGO "first-time" discount).

I chuckle at all these Deep Discount "deals".
most of us only have 1 or 2 CCs and have done the GCO thing for both a lon long time ago

(Unless there is some trick I am unaware of of doing it over and over again (If so that is something I would like to know))