Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Inch Nails Closure on DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-17-07, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an extensive search on this and didn't come up with anything useful so I assume it is safe to ask about it without the threat of a barrage of "SEARCH!, search?, search, duh".

Anyway, is there any news of this ever making it to DVD. I know that at some point a rip of the beta copy was released on a torrent site some time ago, but I am not interested in that garbage. I want the real thing. Last I heard it was postponed indefinitely, but I am hoping someone knows more on it than I do.

http://www.nin.com/halo/12/index.html

Thanks!
Old 09-17-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search! http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=379282

The latest news we have is "early 2005".

I've been waiting for this forever too. Still have my VHS copy, but no VCR hooked up. I suppose I should rip it for posterity. Would love to see an HD/BR version now, but I'm not holding my breath for any sort of release.
Old 09-17-07, 03:05 PM

Last I heard it was in limbo. It was announced (date and all) and then pulled. An .iso file of the DVD could be found the Christmas after its release was cancelled on torrent sites. Trent himself was rumored to have been responsible for the leak, in protest to them canceling the official release. The news of it on torrent sites was the last I heard of it. That was about 2 years ago. Too bad. I would have loved to upgrade my VHS.

Wikipedia

DVD version
In August 2004, Trent Reznor announced a DVD version of Closure, long requested and anticipated by fans, which was to be released in late 2004. It contains over 90 minutes of additional footage compared to the prior VHS release. A teaser trailer shown on the NIN website included new footage from the 1989 tour, Lollapalooza, Woodstock '94, clips from the making of the "Closer" and "The Perfect Drug" videos, and the unreleased, original versions of the "March of the Pigs" and "Hurt" videos. The deluxe two-disc DVD set, though finished and ready for authoring and release, has been indefinitely postponed by Interscope Records.

Availability
On December 20, 2006, Disc 1 of a so-called "prototype" edition of the DVD set appeared on the BitTorrent site The Pirate Bay, including the aforementioned bonus content and a still image gallery. The torrent also contains the artwork from the promotional poster that was rendered for the DVD, containing more detail than the original VHS cover. On December 23, 2006, Disc 2 appeared, including behind-the-scenes footage of the "Closer" video with commentary by Mark Romanek. Both of these discs were submitted to The Pirate Bay (along with The Broken Movie DVD "leak") by a user known only as seed0.

Fans speculate that Reznor may have been the source of this leak, based on a post on his official blog: "12/21/06 : Happy Holidays! This one is a guilt-free download. (shhhh - I didn't say that out loud). If you know what I'm talking about, cool."

Last edited by beetyke; 09-17-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 03:09 PM

I love cleaning and doing chores around the house with a music dvd in and up loud. This to me is like the mecca of all music dvd's. I really really hoped it was secretly going to be released or something, but I guess it won't be for a very long time. The VHS copy is hard to find, outside of EBAY plus my VCR took a dump like two years ago so it would be fruitless to buy a new one for one video.

Oh well.
Old 09-17-07, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you haven't checked out the prototype version that is available on torrent sites, seeing as you are calling it garbage, and it is far from that. I have it and it is exactly what the official release would be like minus an HD re-encoding, but it has the full documentary plus a shitload of bonus footage from NIN's very first show to the making of The Perfect Drug and a photo gallery on disc 1. Disc 2 has the music video collection from Down In It to The Perfect Drug (just like the original vhs) plus a 30 minute making of Closer video. Both discs have easter eggs hidden on them too. I highly recommend you check this out because I don't think you will be seeing an officially released version any time in this lifetime.
Old 09-17-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a custom cover for this at r1db, btw (basically just a dvd conversion of the VHS box). Just search for "closure".

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 09-18-07 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-17-07, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by metalhead212
Anyway, is there any news of this ever making it to DVD. I know that at some point a rip of the beta copy was released on a torrent site some time ago, but I am not interested in that garbage. I want the real thing. Last I heard it was postponed indefinitely, but I am hoping someone knows more on it than I do.
I will echo Imail724 - the leaked version (which one could practically call a quasi-official version, because it was released by Trent Reznor himself) is of excellent quality. I don't own a dual-layer DVD burner (which you have to have if you want to burn the movie onto actual discs), but I paid someone on The Spiral (official NIN fan club) forum a couple dollars and she burned it for me and made a custom cover and it looks just like the real thing on my shelf. And let me reiterate: the quality is excellent.

It is very unlikely that there will be an official release any time soon. As evidenced by the BitTorrent release and its great audio/video quality, good-looking menus, and bonus features, it's pretty much ready for an official release but the label just isn't doing it. Knowing that fans wanted it and that the label wasn't going to put it out in the foreseeable future, Trent Reznor allowed it to be leaked online.
Old 09-18-07, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Imail724
I guess you haven't checked out the prototype version that is available on torrent sites, seeing as you are calling it garbage, and it is far from that. I have it and it is exactly what the official release would be like minus an HD re-encoding, but it has the full documentary plus a shitload of bonus footage from NIN's very first show to the making of The Perfect Drug and a photo gallery on disc 1. Disc 2 has the music video collection from Down In It to The Perfect Drug (just like the original vhs) plus a 30 minute making of Closer video. Both discs have easter eggs hidden on them too. I highly recommend you check this out because I don't think you will be seeing an officially released version any time in this lifetime.
I did not mean garbage as in the quality just that I really only like to invest in legitimate releases but I guess if this is the ONLY way I will ever get it I could do some research and see what I need to do to get a copy. I don't have a dual layer burner so I will have to exercise outside sources, but I guess it is worth a try.
Old 09-18-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by metalhead212
I did not mean garbage as in the quality just that I really only like to invest in legitimate releases but I guess if this is the ONLY way I will ever get it I could do some research and see what I need to do to get a copy.
Well, thanks to Interscope, it looks like Trent's seed0's way is the only way.

Like others have said...this looks like something damn close to the finished product that, for some reason or another, Interscope has chose not to release. And, based on the ongoing drama with Trent and Interscope regarding Australia, I don't see it being released anytime soon..
Old 09-18-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't frequent or use bit torrent sites, so I don't think I'll be getting a copy anytime soon. I'm sure, as with most everything else, this will eventually make it's way on to DVD. I'm a NIN fan, but not as rabid as I once was thanks to the diminishing output of Trent as of late.
Old 04-08-08, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/sitema...DS_SORT_CD=103

I see on tower japan that there is a release which came out 3/20 2008, and it claims it is an import, (meaning from the US?)
Old 04-08-08, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.