Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Buzz for Argento's Mother of Tears

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-08-07, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a horror fan and admirer of Argento's earlier films I had my doubts that he could pull off this loose sequel to Suspiria and Inferno after years of middling work. And there just aren't many horror directors who can deliver past the age of 65. But I was delighted to read from early reviews of the film's showing in Toronto that he seems to have pulled it off.

Here's are two fairly positive reviews from Aint it Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33943) and a good if odd review from David Poland's blog (http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/) in which he calls the film a "B-asterpiece."
Old 09-08-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todd over at Twitchfilm.net didn't think so highly of it
Old 09-08-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all honesty, the reviews from TIFF have been mixed. I actually enjoyed Argento's last two theatrical efforts with Sleepless being a true return to form for the director, but The Card Player being schlocky fun. However, I still stand by the fact that Two Evil Eyes, Trauma, and Phantom of the Opera are the worst films he's ever put out -- and I am not a big fan of The Stendhal Syndrome.

With this entry, he has to follow what may be one of the greatest horror films ever made. However, it can't take much to outdo Inferno.
Old 09-11-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I read both of those and they got my pretty pumped to see this. It sounds like the film has all the right elements to make it worthy of past Argento. I'm not going to hold my breath hoping for a masterpiece, but the early word has me thinking we've at least got a film that is fitting for the final part of this overdue trilogy.
Old 09-11-07, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
In all honesty, the reviews from TIFF have been mixed. I actually enjoyed Argento's last two theatrical efforts with Sleepless being a true return to form for the director, but The Card Player being schlocky fun. However, I still stand by the fact that Two Evil Eyes, Trauma, and Phantom of the Opera are the worst films he's ever put out -- and I am not a big fan of The Stendhal Syndrome.

With this entry, he has to follow what may be one of the greatest horror films ever made. However, it can't take much to outdo Inferno.
I have to remember to watch "Sleepless" for the Horror October Film Challenge.
Old 09-11-07, 05:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah, come on now. Inferno isn't much as far as the narrative goes, but it has perhaps the best atmosphere of any Argento film.
Old 09-11-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ah, come on now. Inferno isn't much as far as the narrative goes, but it has perhaps the best atmosphere of any Argento film.
I second that. Not Argento's best, but it's spooky as hell.
Old 09-11-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Another good review here
http://www.cinema-nocturna.com/index...y_view&iden=86
Old 09-12-07, 04:12 AM

So you enjoyed Sleepless and The Card Player, but consider Two Evil Eyes and Trauma to be his worst? Strange... I always thought Two Evil Eyes and Trauma were two of his last great works while everything that came afterwards were pure schlock. Well, Sleepless and Do You Like Hitchcock? are quite watchable, but The Card Player is abysmal.
Old 02-22-08, 06:40 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm watching this tonight. Can't wait!
Old 02-23-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait to see this. Do You Like Hitchock?, Card Player, and Pelts were the last ones I'm not to fond of.