Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Enough with the torrents and the sticks [WAS: Kanye West - Graduation (Sept. 11)]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Enough with the torrents and the sticks [WAS: Kanye West - Graduation (Sept. 11)]

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only song I hate on the new one is 'Barry Bonds'. What a horrible track. The rest are good.

= J
Old 08-31-07, 04:18 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
It's out there if you want to hear it. New Kanye is pretty solid.
Where? iTunes doesn't have it, the CD isn't out for 2 more weeks.
Old 08-31-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dignam
Where? iTunes doesn't have it, the CD isn't out for 2 more weeks.
Nice try.
Old 08-31-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
Ha ha. Nice catch.
Old 08-31-07, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by auto
Ha ha. Nice catch.
Indeed. The torrent fiends must unite and protect each other from.. possibly having their post edited? That thread is old news, I'm genuinely looking to buy this now if I can. If he was talking about torrents, that's on him, I just asked a question.
Old 08-31-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dignam
I'm genuinely looking to buy this now if I can. If he was talking about torrents, that's on him, I just asked a question.
No, you were baiting him. You know very well that the album isn't officially available anywhere.
Old 08-31-07, 01:54 PM
Suspended

No, you were baiting him. You know very well that the album isn't officially available anywhere.
What I know very well is that no mods really care about torrents or discussions about illegal downloads. If it's reported, it might be edited, that's it. That was made very clear in the thread referenced, and I haven't mentioned it since. I said I was just asking a question, but your mind reading skills obviously trump the awareness I have of my own thoughts.

Old 08-31-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Then no one should be talking about having it.
Old 08-31-07, 03:26 PM

kanye stepped it up

"when it feels like living is harder than dying, for me giving up is way harder than trying/ lauryn hill said her heart was in zion, i wish her heart was still into rhyming, cus who the kids gonna listen to?"
Old 09-01-07, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep shame on us, whatever , you still haven't removed that stick from your arse yet I see.

Anyway after more listens , yep bonds song is stupid, it almost doesn't even fit in with the rest of the album. Everything else is pretty damn good.
Old 09-01-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First impressions: the production and even a lot of the lyrical content has a more mature tone. People can dump on Kanye for his ego, but he's one of the few egomaniacs who is able to back it up with something different each time out.
Old 09-03-07, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hdtv00
you still haven't removed that stick from your arse yet I see.

Anyway after more listens , yep bonds song is stupid, it almost doesn't even fit in with the rest of the album. Everything else is pretty damn good.
Personal attack, mods reported.

The second part of your comment where you share your opinion of your illegal downloads wasn't reported, though.
Old 09-04-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a really solid album. Don't mind the Barry Bonds song, but the only song I'm really not digging is "Drunk & Hot Girls". Love "Everything I Am", "Homecoming", and "Champion". But if it's anything like his past albums ("Registration" is one of my favourite albums of all time!) even the songs I'm not liking now will really grow on me.

Love that he's taking it light on the skits this time around. I just want the songs, really.

Last edited by hardercore; 09-04-07 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-04-07, 12:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

My apologies to anyone who wasn't talking here about the unreleased album and whose post I have inadvertently moved to this split and locked thread.

For those that were, I refer you to my posts in the sticky thread atop this forum. In particular:
Originally Posted by benedict
Would all posters to Music Talk, new and old, please note that the DVDTalk.com forums are not the place to discuss the manner in which you or others might choose privately to distribute copyright material in contravention with the wishes of the owners of such material [or their agents].

As has been mentioned before, there are some cases where copying/taping/trading is lawful: threads dealing with this are unlikely to be closed where sufficient infromation concerning the legal side has been posted.

Likewise there are current threads concerning technical aspects of filesharing. Again, so far, these have been left open where they are non-specific.

Please don't be tempted to push the envelope. Geoff has recently posted about DVD bootlegging and other members may be aware that various longstanding "fudges" finally have had to be set aside.

The upshot with regard to mp3s and other files that people share, is that if too many folk fool around the whole area of discussion could become taboo. There is also the marked possibility that posting privileges will be suspended where the Forum Rules have been ignored.

BTW: as there are already threads on the legality and other aspects of mp3s etc., I'd ask that interested parties please think very seriously about bumping those as opposed to perpetuating a discussion in here. There is also the Feedback Forum where discussion on rules etc is usually on-topic.

I'll endeavour to post any necessary updates here "as and when".

Thanks to all in advance for your understanding and co-operation.
Originally Posted by benedict
The copyright-related rules are not something new: in instances where suspected copyright-breach was noticed, admins and moderators were editing/deleting Napster (and similar) threads in the Other forum way back when: members posting/reading regularly in that forum will probably recall this happening....

Where there has been a change of focus (and as alluded to in my post above this one) is that, on June 5th., Geoff made a general statement in the Feedback Forum thread entitled "Condoning Bootleg DVDs":
"While I am not crazy about the way in which this issue was brought up or the tone of the accusations flung around it. I have taken a look at our policy and going forward here's our new policy:

- NO bootleg discussion threads."
Leading up to this, while the debate was still proceeding, I was posting warnings both here and in the International DVD forum in to give people the chance to remind themselves, if they had forgotten, just where the boundaries lay and what the sanctions for crossing them could be.

Whether or not one cares sufficiently to read and/or respect the rules under which the site operates here they are:Here are some (mostly) locked threads where the older policy applied:
For Dignam, if you have any further observations regarding moderating decisions in this and/or other forums, would you please start another thread in Feedback. If, however, you have ongoing problems with the site owner's actual or imagined policies, maybe this isn't the place for you.

For anyone who decides that they know better that the threadlocking moderator [me] and chooses to flout my request to cease and desist with any further discussion in Music Talk of the rights and wrongs of illegal downloads and related issues.... please prepare yourself for a posting holiday.