Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner - so many versions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Blade Runner - so many versions

I thought I'd start a new thread since the last one was almost 700 posts, which puts a big strain on the forum.

Anyways, here are all the versions that are coming out on December 18th:

2-disc SD-dvd:

4-disc SD-dvd:

5-disc SD-dvd briefcase

5-disc HD-dvd

5-disc Blu-ray

and 5-disc briefcase in either HD or in Blu-ray:

Phew... but still, all that, and yet they don't have the 5-disc in SD-dvd without the briefcase. Not to mention, the 5-disc HD versions cost only a few dollars more than the 4-disc SD version....

Don't get me wrong, these are gonna be awesome, but it wouldn't be a dvd thread if there wasn't something to bitch about.

Last edited by slop101; 12-01-07 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-02-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This release was a big determining factor into going into Hi Def. It's just ridiculous what they're doing with this release.
Old 09-02-07, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This release was a big determining factor into going into Hi Def. It's just ridiculous what they're doing with this release.
I f*cking hate it when the studio gives us lots of options, all reasonably priced, all announced at the same time, and all available on the same day!!!

Old 09-02-07, 04:24 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
F*ck Warners, I wont purchase any of these versions unless they release a standard 5 disc DVD non-briefcase version. Stupid sons of bitches! All those Warner execs who had a voice in this release can collectively rot in hell for all I care.
Old 09-02-07, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm curious, is anyone prepping to purchase just the 2-Disc Final Cut?
Old 09-02-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why aern't they releasing a two disc hd-dvd version??. Not all of us need to see 4 versions of the same film. Having said that even if they don't I will still end up getting the hd-dvd version (without the goofy briefcase)
Old 09-02-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I thought I'd start a new thread since the last one was almost 700 posts, which puts a big strain on the forum.

Anyways, here are all the versions that are coming out on December 18th:

5-disc HD-dvd

5-disc Blu-ray

are you sure of the info on these two... namely the HD-DVD and Blu Ray?...

i've seen several sites including amazon and the like that list the HD-DVD and Blu Ray releases as only 4 discs...

and you have to get the briefcase to get the 5...
Old 09-02-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
i've seen several sites including amazon and the like that list the HD-DVD and Blu Ray releases as only 4 discs...
Really? The links provided right above the pictures go to Amazon which clearly states 5 discs.
Old 09-02-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Major props to Warner for releasing the briefcase version in HD as well. I'm such a loser that I would have bought the 5 disc SD briefcase version (for display) and the standard HD version.

I really hope this is a trend that will continue in the future.
Old 09-02-07, 10:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I'm fairly certain the BD and HD DVD releases are 5 discs. As for the briefcase, the only extra feature is the briefcase. I pre-ordered the regular 5 disc BD set, and at $27.95, there's just no way to pass it up.
Old 09-02-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
I'm curious, is anyone prepping to purchase just the 2-Disc Final Cut?
I wouldn't want it. I will watch the other versions once, but the versions I consider real are the theatrical versions. Those are all I really care about. I'm just glad I can finally retire my Criterion laserdisc for a quality HD set.
Old 09-02-07, 10:52 AM

this may have been discussed in the earlier thread, but can someone explain how much of the content on the hi-def 5 disc sets is actually in hd as opposed to sd? is this a speculative matter that still needs confirmation?
Old 09-02-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by minguy
this may have been discussed in the earlier thread, but can someone explain how much of the content on the hi-def 5 disc sets is actually in hd as opposed to sd? is this a speculative matter that still needs confirmation?
My preference is for the 5 disc HD-DVD set w/o briefcase, as there is less and less room on the shelves for collectibles. That being said, while it would be nice for all of the extras to be in HD, I don't mind them being in SD. It's the movie in HD that counts here and I'll probably watch the extras once or twice if that.
Old 09-02-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
are you sure of the info on these two... namely the HD-DVD and Blu Ray?...

and you have to get the briefcase to get the 5...
Those have got to be the HD versions of the four disc set. A five disc set for under $30 in HD/Bluray is an insane deal! Hell, even the four disc set for that price is great.
Old 09-02-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Really? The links provided right above the pictures go to Amazon which clearly states 5 discs.
If you look closely at the pictures posted above, you can clearly make out "Five Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition" at the top. You kind of have to squint, but it definitely says "Five."

Edit: Here's the picture from Amazon:

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 09-02-07 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-02-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a completist by nature when it comes to disc content, so it annoys me (since I haven't upgraded to a hi-def format yet) that I have to get the briefcase in order to get the 5-disc set on standard DVD.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy it on release day (I've got my copy pre-ordered), I just don't need the briefcase.
Old 09-02-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hal9000
F*ck Warners, I wont purchase any of these versions unless they release a standard 5 disc DVD non-briefcase version. Stupid sons of bitches! All those Warner execs who had a voice in this release can collectively rot in hell for all I care.
You strike me as someone who has anger management issues.
Old 09-02-07, 02:21 PM

I think it's still speculative, but based on the price, I think the smart guess is that only Disc 1 will actually be HD, and the "extras" will all be SD. But we probably won't know for sure until the first reviews start pouring in.
Old 09-02-07, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
And where the hell is the VHS 5 tape version?
Old 09-02-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
this may have been discussed in the earlier thread, but can someone explain how much of the content on the hi-def 5 disc sets is actually in hd as opposed to sd?
The Digital Bits confirmed with Warner that all 5 versions of the film will be 1080p, but all the other extras will be SD:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa140.html#newt
Old 09-03-07, 12:18 AM

Some factory in China is going to be busy making these briefcases and toys !!!
Old 09-03-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am sure they will miss your money about as much as the ocean would miss it if you didn't put a drop of water in it.

Good luck on that.
Old 09-03-07, 02:36 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You strike me as someone who has anger management issues.
Only when I drink. And I only drink when I can't surf!

Originally Posted by The Cow
And where the hell is the VHS 5 tape version?
VHS!?! It's Beta or nothing for me brother!

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I am sure they will miss your money about as much as the ocean would miss it if you didn't put a drop of water in it.

Good luck on that.
1. Shhhh, don't say anything... but I'm an WB employee, so there's a wee little bit of sarcasm that didn't come across too well. Don't tell my boss.

2. I piss in my wet suit every-time I go surfing (gotta keep warm somehow) so I go above and beyond in that department. And for those heading to HB or Newport you might want to think twice before stepping in the water... then again all the animals in the ocean... oh nevermind. I won't gross you out with the details.
Old 09-03-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
2. I piss in my wet suit every-time I go surfing (gotta keep warm somehow) so I go above and beyond in that department. And for those heading to HB or Newport you might want to think twice before stepping in the water... then again all the animals in the ocean... oh nevermind. I won't gross you out with the details.
Aw shit - I go surfing at Newport fairly often. Just stay away from San Onofre - I go there more often. Wait, I pee in my wet-suit all the time too - good thing urine's sterile...
Old 09-03-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has anyone confirmed how limited these briefcases are going to be?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.