Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Heroes - Season 1'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jeffrey Robinson's DVD review of Heroes - Season 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30067 and...

Are you f-ing kidding? Tim "I've never read a comic in my life, but manage to rip off plotlines wholesale" Kring? Tim "Knight Rider" Kring? I'll ask again: are you f-ing kidding?

When the "Manimal" complete series collection comes out, I think I know the rating to expect.
Old 08-30-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought Jeffrey Robinson's review of Heroes-Season One was very well done but I was very shocked that it got a ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ rating. I might not agree with every title in the ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ but having Heroes in there is just an insult.

Despite the good bonus material, the show isn’t that good. Sure it might be fun & there are a lot of people who probably like it but it doesn’t always mean the show is good in terms of quality. Just because it’s popular/successful, doesn’t mean that it’s a good show.

I thought at the very most it would get the ‘Highly Recommended’ rating but my jaw-dropped when I saw that ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ label.
Old 08-30-07, 09:59 AM

Personally, although I thought Heroes had a wealth of amazing moments in the first season (Claire's "autopsy", everything in "Company Man" and "Five Years Gone", the Peter/Claude/HRG/Haitian scene in "Unexpected"), it still had a few crap moments as well.

I don't want to knock her too much, but really, Ali Larter is just way out of her league on this show. I don't know who writes her dialogue, but every sentence she says comes with this strange air of smugness, almost as if she wants to prove she's better than everyone else. I mean, Christ, I know that the only thing a sizable number of people remember you for is the whipped-cream scene from Varsity Blues, but Christ, could you just TRY to act like you give a damn? For once? Not to mention, the whole Niki/D.L./Linderman/Micah plot. What does it add up to?

Spoiler:
A fist through the head and a hand on a voting machine?

The finale was crap. There, I said it. I kept watching and thinking, "How could this happen?" From the crap with Sylar getting his ass handed to him by Jessica wielding a parking meter (How does she even know who this guy is? Why would she care?) to the letdown of the promise made by the previous episodes (come on, you all know that the makers have been purposely holding back on the confrontations between Peter and Sylar, cutting away or ending the battle before we see anything) to the punk-ass way Hiro finally "kills" Sylar (and then subsequently getting thrown away to feudal Japan), to the ridiculous introduction of the new bad guy (Oh look, he can sense heroes! And some girl said he's scary! Wow!) to the ridiculous way characters are just thrown in at the end with unresolved issues from previous episodes (What the hell is Agent Hanson doing there? And where did she go after her first scene? What about Candice, the shapeshifter who alluded to being not who she seemed? What happened to her?).

I digress. I think it's a very good show, but the producers need to tighten it up a little more.
Old 08-30-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"Company Man" was quite possibly the best hour-long episode of ANY series last year.

While HEROES wasn't the best show on TV last season, it's certainly in the top 5.
Old 08-30-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
"Company Man" was quite possibly the best hour-long episode of ANY series last year.
Tell me another one.
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
While HEROES wasn't the best show on TV last season, it's certainly in the top 5.
2 for 2. Don't stop now -- you're on a roll!

das
Old 08-30-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
To say it was in my Top 5 of last season would require me to think about 4 other shows that I enjoyed ...and I can't do that right now.

However, Heroes was definitely in my top 10.

Strokes/Folks, people.
Old 08-30-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I thought Jeffrey Robinson's review of Heroes-Season One was very well done but I was very shocked that it got a ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ rating. I might not agree with every title in the ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ but having Heroes in there is just an insult.

Despite the good bonus material, the show isn’t that good. Sure it might be fun & there are a lot of people who probably like it but it doesn’t always mean the show is good in terms of quality. Just because it’s popular/successful, doesn’t mean that it’s a good show.

I thought at the very most it would get the ‘Highly Recommended’ rating but my jaw-dropped when I saw that ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ label.

Really, dude. Let's refocus the priorities. It's a DVD review.

You were "insulted"? Your "jaw dropped"? Over react much?

Then your complaint that "the show isn’t that good" offers no backup to support that somewhat vague thought, just a one-sentence opinion that you are certainly entitled to.

You apparently don't like the show. We get that. Lots of people do like Heroes. You don't.

Example: I don't like Star Trek (any incarnation). Plenty of people do, and if I were to read a review where it was highly praised/recommeded/lauded all I would think was the writer really liked the show. It's up to that review/discussion of the series to convey that to me. I don't have to agree, but maybe I can see what the fuss is all about.

As Rogue588 said: "Strokes/Folks, people."

And if this thread turns into another multi-pager about review committees and group-think rankings, I will barf.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-30-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Agreed, Heroes was alright (utterly boring to rewatch, but was decent the first time throgh), but a 5/5 is a bit high.

But I guess to each their own. I rarely agree with movie scores on this site, but find the a/v/extras info to be quite good.

Plus, you have to consider he reviews a lot of TV on DVD, and next to many shows, Heroes is a masterpiece... Compared to the best.. not so much.

Plus if he rated it what it deserved, it would be on the same level as The Hills, which certainly isn't true.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-30-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 03:22 PM

Just to add to the spectrum of opinions:

For me, a big comic book enthusiast, this was also in my top shows of last year. For anyone into the comic world, the show unfolds exactly like a story arc in a great series. This makes it the the form digital crack for us weekly print junkies. Its not a perfect show but always leaves me very happy and wanting more.

As an aside, If I were to compare Heroes to an actual print publication, it reminds me most of one of my all time favorite Valiant comic book series: Harbinger.

The DVD set was exactly what I wanted, is pretty comprehensive and has some great extras (especially the collectors versions). It is really easy to botch up a TV series release, but no matter if you enjoy the actual content of the show (Rogue588 nailed it here), the DVD package as a whole is top notch. I would assume the reviewer feels the same way. Thank you Jeffrey for the review

Edit: lol

Last edited by D_N_G; 08-30-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
As Rougue588 said: "Strokes/Folks, people."
Originally Posted by D_N_G
...but no matter if you enjoy the actual content of the show (Rouge588 nailed it here), the DVD package as a whole is top notch.
It's Rogue...Rogue dammit!!!

Old 08-30-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588

F***, I even looked at it twice to make sure I had it right.
Old 08-30-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Geez, don't get your panties in a wad, Mascara...
Old 08-30-07, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588

sorry bro
Old 08-30-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by josh1138
When the "Manimal" complete series collection comes out, I think I know the rating to expect.

We can only pray they do...

And while we're at it...

Old 08-31-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Really, dude. Let's refocus the priorities. It's a DVD review.

You were "insulted"? Your "jaw dropped"? Over react much?

Then your complaint that "the show isn’t that good" offers no backup to support that somewhat vague thought, just a one-sentence opinion that you are certainly entitled to.

You apparently don't like the show. We get that. Lots of people do like Heroes. You don't.

Example: I don't like Star Trek (any incarnation). Plenty of people do, and if I were to read a review where it was highly praised/recommeded/lauded all I would think was the writer really liked the show. It's up to that review/discussion of the series to convey that to me. I don't have to agree, but maybe I can see what the fuss is all about.

As Rogue588 said: "Strokes/Folks, people."

And if this thread turns into another multi-pager about review committees and group-think rankings, I will barf.
No I’m not insulted & my Jaw didn’t physically drop but I was surprised that it got the ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series’ rating.

Well I won’t turn this into another ‘multi page ratings debate’ because I don’t want anyone to barf. The ‘DVD Talk Collector’s Series” is a very debatable topic.

All in all, I was just surprised. I get that a lot of people like the show, so I guess as Rogue588 says: “Strokes/Folks, people.”
Old 08-31-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Tell me another one.

2 for 2. Don't stop now -- you're on a roll!

das
I also think Masi Oka is going to win the Emmy come Sept. 16th.
Old 08-31-07, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis

We can only pray they do...

Half man-half animal. Kids don't know what they are missing with this one.
Old 08-31-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketchup
Half man-half animal. Kids don't know what they are missing with this one.
I'm waiting for "Automan", personally. That show was way ahead of its time.