Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Nosferatu question (Herzog/Kinski)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nosferatu question (Herzog/Kinski)

I'm thinking about buying the 1979 version of Nosferatu and noticed that it's included in the Herzog/Kinski box set (which I'm also thinking about buying). I have three questions:

1. Is the disc in the box set the remastered/anamorphic version?

2. Does the box set include the bonus disc?

3. If no to question 2, is the bonus disc worth having?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I'm thinking about buying the 1979 version of Nosferatu and noticed that it's included in the Herzog/Kinski box set (which I'm also thinking about buying). I have three questions:

1. Is the disc in the box set the remastered/anamorphic version?

2. Does the box set include the bonus disc?

3. If no to question 2, is the bonus disc worth having?

Thanks in advance.
the Herzog/Kinski Box set, which i own... has only 1 of the 2 versions of the Nosferatu films made in 1979 by H/K, 'Nosferatu: the Vampyre' the english language version...i guess this means "no" to the "bonus disk" question, the second disk is actually a different film not a 'bonus' though... this film is a personal favorite of mine so i wanted BOTH versions... the other version the is the native german language version 'Phantom Der Nacht'... note these are two different films shot simultaneously(concurrently?) in different takes... not different language tracks of the same film... and there is a different 'feel' to each version of it... so for me the answer is "YES" on having both versions... it is very much 'worth it'... if you like this film...

this is the best version of the films period... i own it... both versions and a good release, at least the best so far anyway... Link to the german/english version...

i STRONGLY suggest the Herzog/Kinski set... save only that a proper widescreen DVD release of 'Aguirre The Wrath of God' has never been made... this box set is the best you are going to get on these films and they are fantastic... Cobra Verde... Fitzcarraldo? (one of my favorite films ever)... awesome set...

i'll try to dig my copies of each out of boxes in the next day or two and get exacting on the anamorphic stuff unless someone else does it first...

hope this helps...
Old 08-29-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Yes, the content of the Nosferatu disc in the Herzog/Kinski box set is identical to that of the second disc of the 2002 double-disc re-release (which has the 1:47:10 English version in mono with one trailer as disc one and the 1:46:54 German version with the commentary, 5.1 mix, featurette, and three trailers as disc two). The only difference is it has a different label to match the others in the box set.

2. Nope, just the German version.

3. Oh, definitely. The English version is a completely different viewing experience in terms of Kinski's performance. Anchor Bay presents it with the same chapter stops as the German version so it's easy to compare them. The English disc is also thoroughly Closed Captioned, which helps with the little nuances of speech in the film. The Herzog/Kinski box set is great, but if you're a fan of one of the greatest vampire films, you need the 2002 two-disc version IMO.

EDIT: See, I should preview my posts first. I have been beaten by Dr Mabuse!

Last edited by Luther Heggs; 08-29-07 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

i STRONGLY suggest the Herzog/Kinski set... save only that a proper widescreen DVD release of 'Aguirre The Wrath of God' has never been made...
Werner Herzog's official site lists the proper ratio of Aguirre, The Wrath of God as 1.33:1.

Last edited by starecase; 08-29-07 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i STRONGLY suggest the Herzog/Kinski set... save only that a proper widescreen DVD release of 'Aguirre The Wrath of God' has never been made...
Originally Posted by starecase
Werner Herzog's official site lists the proper ratio as 1.33:1.
i did not know that... if this info is correct, this removes a thorn from my side...

so thanks for that... it had bugged me a good while... i like the box set even more now...

can you post a link?... as i cannot find that on Herzog's site... only the brief description and link to photo gallery...

IMDB does list it as 1.37:1... Link... good news as i thought it was cropped...
Old 08-29-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the box set. You won't regret it.
Old 08-29-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
i also own the box set. it's been a long time since i've pulled it out, but it is awesome if you're a fan of cinema.
Old 08-29-07, 10:19 PM

can you post a link?... as i cannot find that on Herzog's site... only the brief description and link to photo gallery...
Unfortunately, I cannot obtain a direct link to the page. Click on the films icon on his site and then click on the Agurrie link. On the Agurrie page, there are five links (BRIEF SURVEY / CAST / CREW / DISTRIBUTION / GENERAL). Click on GENERAL for the technical specs.

I highly recommend both of the Anchor Bay Herzog box sets.

Last edited by starecase; 08-29-07 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 11:21 PM

hope this helps...
Yes, very much. You've all been a big help. Thanks!
Old 08-29-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chente
Buy the box set. You won't regret it.
Absolutely--and if you're feeling more adventurous, you might also consider picking up Anchor Bay's other Herzog box set. His work with Kinski was (mostly) amazing, but some of the best stuff he's ever done was without his insane muse.
Old 08-30-07, 10:14 AM

Yes, go with the Herzog/Kinski boxset. As has already been pointed out, Aguirre is in its proper aspect ratio, so no problem there.

Herzog has also been clear about always preferring the German-language versions of his early films, and I assume this extends to Nosferatu, too. Frankly, I don't think you're really missing that much by losing the English-language version when you buy the boxset. At any rate, you get the commentary.

And I'd also agree with GreenVulture that the other Anchor Bay boxset is worth picking up, too. Many folks consider Kasper Hauser Herzog's supreme achievement, and it needs to be seen by anyone who likes Herzog enough to buy the other boxset.
Old 08-30-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by starecase
Unfortunately, I cannot obtain a direct link to the page.
I figured out the direct link to the page in question; although, since you're not supposed to view it directly, the formatting is messed up:
http://www.wernerherzog.com/main/de/...php?film_id=12
Old 08-30-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buy the set!
Old 08-31-07, 12:56 AM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pick it up in the next few weeks. It's out of print, but most of the major online retailers seem to have it in stock.

The English language version doesn't hold as much interest for me. I've also been wanting to pick up Aguirre for a long time, and from what I've heard, the other movies sound like they're worth owning as well.

Thanks for everybody's input.
Old 08-31-07, 02:47 PM

I got the set a few weeks ago for a very great price. Wonderful all around. The Herzog/Kinski relationship was bananas.