Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Best cult science fiction shows on DVD?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Best cult science fiction shows on DVD?

Old 08-29-07, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best cult science fiction shows?

I've already watched all the famous SF shows : Star Trek, Buffy, Stargate, etc.

Any recommendations for cult series that aren't discussed as much?

I would like to watch shows that have held up well over time - and unfortunately, a lot of SF ages badly.

Is Space 1999 good?
Old 08-29-07, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Firefly, Battlestar Gallactica ad my all time fave X Files.
Old 08-29-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One word:

Farscape.
Old 08-29-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quark. Not on DVD though, alas.
Old 08-29-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
"Red Dwarf" gets my vote.
Old 08-29-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thunderbirds!
Old 08-29-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Space Above and Beyond
Earth 2
Old 08-29-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Christi P
Is Space 1999 good?
Please, I highly recommend that you DON’T TRY, Space: 1999. It will bore you to tears. It has high production values but there are some HUGE flaws in terms of the storylines & the writing on that show goes from Ok-Mediocre.

I’m a big Martin Landau fan & he tries his best with the material but it would take a miracle in order to make this show good. Hell he even said the show was sh*t. He didn’t use those words pacifically but he was skeptical of the writing to say the least. If you’re looking for Barbara Bain’s ‘Emmy’ worthy performance like on Mission: Impossible (Great TV series, I highly, highly recommend you check it out if you haven’t seen it), you won’t find it here, her character has no character. Even the legendary Barry Morse couldn’t save this show from sucking.

However I will give Space: 1999 one credit (besides its great cast members), If you grew up with the show when it originally aired you might have a ‘nostalgic’ look at it & you might over look some of the major plot flaws.

I’d recommend Thunderbirds; I have a nostalgic bias though.
Old 08-29-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The Prisoner
Alien Nation
Nowhere Man
Old 08-29-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Sliders, but I heard the quality drops pretty quickly.
Old 08-29-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The Outer Limits (original)
Old 08-29-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does that list of "famous" SF shows include Babylon 5? Because it should.
Old 08-29-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old school Battlestar Gallactica still rocks.
Old 08-30-07, 06:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
I'm like a year behind, but the new Battlestar Galactica is one of the best shows on TV, not just sci-fi, but all TV.
Old 08-30-07, 10:08 AM

To some, it may seem like a very cliched and dated show, but I've always loved the first season of the "War of The Worlds" television series. Just the moment alone at the climax of the pilot episode where the war machine rises up, backed by the bombastic score as the heroes run out of the hanger, is pure awesome. Too bad the second season was such a letdown, though. Still, they need to release that on DVD too, if only for nostalgia.

I also used to watch Space: Above And Beyond on my local sci-fi station here in Toronto a few years ago. Boy, was that a show that was ahead of it's time. Too bad the suits of Fox never understood it's potential.
Old 09-01-07, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Please, I highly recommend that you DON’T TRY, Space: 1999. It will bore you to tears. .
Thanks for this review - I am always tempted to buy the shiny box set everytime it goes on sale.

Here are some more obscure SF shows I've heard of, but I don't think they are on DVD yet - they might be on cable somewhere. Are any of these good?

Dark Skies - this has Jeri Ryan. Does she have a big role?

Freaky Links

Witchblade (I do think Yancy Butler is hot, but I've never seen this)

Now & Again - this got brilliant reviews - was it really that good (and this is not Once and Again with Sela Ward, which aired the same year ....mmmm....Sela Ward).

The Invisible Man - I read a review once in a SF magazine that said this was brilliant, but no one ever talks about it.

Friday 13 - was this series for adults? I remember seeing promos and thinking it was for the young adult crowd.
Old 09-01-07, 10:56 AM

Thanks for this review - I am always tempted to buy the shiny box set everytime it goes on sale.

Here are some more obscure SF shows I've heard of, but I don't think they are on DVD yet - they might be on cable somewhere. Are any of these good?

The Invisible Man - I read a review once in a SF magazine that said this was brilliant, but no one ever talks about it.

Friday 13 - was this series for adults? I remember seeing promos and thinking it was for the young adult crowd.
If you’re talking about the 1958 TV series of The Invisible Man, than yes, it is a brilliant but forgotten little gem that ran for 2 seasons on CBS (in the states) & ITC (in the UK).

To be honest, I haven’t seen the show in a long time so I can’t really give you my thoughts on how well the show has held up but I remember really enjoying it. MPI released the whole series in 2 releases (season 1, season 2) & each set contains 13 episodes.

I’m thinking of ordering the 2 sets because I forgot all about the show until you said it. If you want the DVDs you might have to order it on Amazon or a specialty store because in Canada at least, I haven’t seen it available in stores.

If you’re talking about Friday the 13th: The Series, I thought it was a bit childish but I know there are some fans of the show. It has nothing too do with the film series & Jason Voorhees doesn’t show up once. It still airs on some Digital Cable/Satellite specialty channels. In Canada they air it on Scream & in the states I think they air it on the new, Chiller channel.
Old 09-02-07, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
If you’re talking about the 1958 TV series of The Invisible Man, than yes, it is a brilliant but forgotten little gem that ran for 2 seasons on CBS (in the states) & ITC (in the UK).

I think there is a more modern version of the invisible man from the 90's.

There is a British SF show called Blake's 7. Is that as dated as Space 1999, or is it better?
Old 09-02-07, 09:46 AM

There is a British SF show called Blake's 7. Is that as dated as Space 1999, or is it better?
Sorry, I’ve vaguely heard of Blake’s 7, never seen even a snippet of the series.
Old 09-05-07, 01:56 PM

Unless you like Doctor Who avoid Blake's Seven like the plague. I enjoyed the first season when I was in my teens, but the later seasons got progressively worse, and it was never all that good in the first place.
Old 09-07-07, 08:36 PM

From what I remember it was okay, about Stargate sg-1 like in quality.
Another Sci Fi channel show from around that time, Good vs. Evil (which was called G vs. E for the first few episodes which aired on the USA net.) was pretty good.
Old 09-07-07, 08:39 PM

Dark Skies - this has Jeri Ryan. Does she have a big role?
Basically Forrest Gump crossed with the X-files. Historical events in 50s-60s were actually alien related. I remember that I didn't care for it much, but can't remember why.
Old 09-09-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Another vote for the new BSG. Even some of the lesser episodes of the second half of S2 and parts of S3 are still worth watching.

Not sure if exactly what you're looking for, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 may appeal to you also.
Old 09-11-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to put my vote in for the new Doctor Who series, if you like Buffy and Stargate, you should like the new Doctor Who, its very well written, yet doesn't take itself too seriously. I also like how the new Doctor Who isn't a redo or a remake, it's a continuation of the old series, but you don't have to know anything about the old series to enjoy it.

Also, a vote for classic old school 70's Battlestar Galactica. Sorry, I know alot of you love the new Battlestar, but it's way too depressing for me, everyone whispering in the dark... jezz, someone smile.... just once.
Old 09-21-07, 12:37 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Beery
Unless you like Doctor Who avoid Blake's Seven like the plague. I enjoyed the first season when I was in my teens, but the later seasons got progressively worse, and it was never all that good in the first place.
Blake's 7 is nothing like Doctor Who, except for the cheap sets. It's has a fantastically distopian premise, uncommon amorality, and some wonderfully cutting dialog. It's a bit like Star Trek where the crew all hate each other. And of course there is Servalan.

But it isn't out on DVD in the US.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.