Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Death at a Funeral - Why no thread for this one yet?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this earlier tonight, and I loved it. I've been seeing trailers for it on TV for a few weeks now, and last night I noticed that it was actually playing in Greenville, SC so I made the hour (give or take) drive just to go see this flick, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Heck, if anything I ended up enjoying it far more than I thought I would in the first place.

Directed by Frank Oz, in my opinion it's one of the best comedies of 2007. I can't remember the last time that a comedy built up so perfectly throughout the entire picture - starting with a very reserved type of funny, then building up from that point on to a complete boiling point. Usually in comedies like this, even when I love the film I find myself being forced to tolerate certain characters that I don't like all that much, but with Death at a Funeral I can honestly say that I just loved each and every character in the film. Every single character has specific touches, different quirks, and they all work to come together to create a really enjoyable film. It's one heck of an ensemble comedy.

Not to mention that it has on of my favorite endings, last lines, of a comedy in years. I highly, highly recommend this one, so if it's actually playing anywhere near any of you, give it a try. If you love British comedy - Monty Python, Peter Sellers and the such, then you'll want to watch this one for sure.

Old 08-26-07, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a suspicion why no comments on this film yet.....

I wish i could have seen the same film you saw. I thought it was dreadful.
Stale story, stale direction, stale editing..... the stale list goes on.

The audience I saw it with seemed to enjoy it, but that was made up primarily of 20 something women. I asked myself during the screening.... is that the target audience???

I liked the look of the film, but there wasn't a single performence worth mentioning, with the exeption of the dead guy. He knew what film he was attached to...

The running gag in the film was the accident acid trip.... but please, the WHOLE film? Haven't see seen this a million times already.

Its a shame as I wanted to see this film based on the trailer, and word of mouth, but it was an extreme disappointment.

I think this script would have and probably has played better as a one act play on a London stage. On the big screen, it was a colossal misfire.
Old 08-26-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other reason there may, as of yet, be very little comment in regard to the film is due to the fact that it opened in limited release.

I know that for me, the closest place showing it is a little over an hour and a half away. With fifteen credit hours of school and forty hours of work every week, it makes it a bit rough of a jaunt.
Old 08-26-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I, along with the audience (mostly post-college age) laughed a lot - very funny, and spot-on comic timing.
Old 08-26-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this with a mostly older crowd yesterday morning....granted, it was the early show so I'm not surprised the kids weren't out yet. I loved it! Alan Tudyk really steals the first half of the movie.

Too bad it wasn't your cup of tea FaustBos, but I was laughing the whole way through.
Old 08-27-07, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed, I wish I could have seen what you guys saw. I'm a fan of black humor as well, but this one will not be on my recommend lists. What's really a shame is, I can see where they were going with this, but I just felt it didnt deliver, aside from a few laughs. I can remember only 3.

Oh well, can't love em all :-)
Cheers
Old 08-27-07, 08:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
I saw this with a mostly older crowd yesterday morning....granted, it was the early show so I'm not surprised the kids weren't out yet. I loved it! Alan Tudyk really steals the first half of the movie.

Too bad it wasn't your cup of tea FaustBos, but I was laughing the whole way through.
yes he does

the bathroom scene though, yuck... didn't think it would get THAT scatological....
Old 08-27-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I saw this movie a week ago, and I think it had somewhat unfortunate timing.

I saw Superbad, the funniest movie of the year (imo), on Sunday and then went to see Death at a Funeral on Monday. I was looking forward to the flick and enjoyed it well enough, but it did get a bit tiresome before it was over and nothing was particularly hillarious, especially when compared to the consistent hillarity/laugh-out-loud moments that Superbad had.

It's a quaint, enjoyable picture that is almost instantly forgettable. And one that likely plays better in the living room than the movie theater.

It's a shame the trailers/ads went out of their way to spoil some of best bits in the movie.
Old 08-27-07, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I saw this movie a week ago, and I think it had somewhat unfortunate timing.

I saw Superbad, the funniest movie of the year (imo), on Sunday and then went to see Death at a Funeral on Monday. I was looking forward to the flick and enjoyed it well enough, but it did get a bit tiresome before it was over and nothing was particularly hillarious, especially when compared to the consistent hillarity/laugh-out-loud moments that Superbad had.

It's a quaint, enjoyable picture that is almost instantly forgettable. And one that likely plays better in the living room than the movie theater.

It's a shame the trailers/ads went out of their way to spoil some of best bits in the movie.
yes it did, didn't it?
Old 08-27-07, 12:40 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

British-style farce, (just a little) too naughty for public TV, with some fairly good-natured putzing around. It doesn't really go anywhere unexpected. OTOH neither does an amusement park ride.

Verdict: enjoyable but not SUPERBAD (but, to be fair, it wasn't trying to be).
Old 08-27-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really want to see this.
Old 08-27-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I to want to see this.

Per the OP's original question: I have a feeling a lot has to do with humor styles. For example, a few posts up somebody said this was so-so, whereas they loved Super Bad. By contrast, I think Super Bad looks dumb to say the least, and I question how it was ever greenlit.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-28-07, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
I to want to see this.

Per the OP's original question: I have a feeling a lot has to do with humor styles. For example, a few posts up somebody said this was so-so, whereas they loved Super Bad. By contrast, I think Super Bad looks dumb to say the least, and I question how it was ever greenlit.

Hope that helps.
I agree, I have yet to rush out and see that movie.
Old 09-04-07, 01:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Saw this and loved it.

Funniest film of the year by far.
Old 11-10-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like this is destined to be one of the fastest remakes ever:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...0de5d15174195e
Old 11-10-08, 08:47 AM

Ugh, Chris Rock.

I love his comedy shows, and his TV stuff, but the last film he remade, Down to Earth, was perhaps the worst thing ever put on film.
Old 11-10-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Ugh, Chris Rock.

I love his comedy shows, and his TV stuff, but the last film he remade, Down to Earth, was perhaps the worst thing ever put on film.
Technically speaking, I Think I Love My Wife (2007) was a remake (of Chloe in the Afternoon) as well, wasn't much of an improvement over Down to Earth.
Old 11-10-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The original was very funny and I can see Chris Rock having fun in this (as long as they don't neuter the flick)
Old 11-10-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yay! Another movie for Tony Cox to be cast in.
Old 11-10-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yay! Another movie for Tony Cox to be cast in.
I thought of him instantly, unless they can find another famous black midget (sorry, I meant to say African-American Little Person)
Old 04-01-09, 03:20 AM

Re: Death at a Funeral - Why no thread for this one yet?

Just out of curiosity, did this movie come with a Slipcover because I didn't see it in the list when I did a search.

Thanks
Old 04-01-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Civic: Ask in the DVD Talk forum. Here we talk about the film itself, not the DVD.
Old 04-01-09, 09:34 AM

Mine did not have a slipcover.

Is the remake still on?
Old 04-01-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw something the other day that Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan will be staring in it.
Old 04-01-09, 11:23 AM

Alright will do. I think I saw something about the remake with those two on IMDB...might have been in the comments section about this film

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.