Reload this Page >

Hellraiser - 20th Anniversary Edition (Anchor Bay) - 9/20/2007

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hellraiser - 20th Anniversary Edition (Anchor Bay) - 9/20/2007

Old 08-21-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hellraiser - 20th Anniversary Edition (Anchor Bay) - 10/23/07

columbia house is listing this in their pre-order section...i hadn't heard anything about it until now. anyone have any info on it?? here's the description from CH's site:

"Pinhead" celebrates two decades of terror in this 20th Anniversary Edition DVD that's filled with special features. British horror master Clive Barker penned and directed this chilling tale of a man who innocently opens a small but complex-looking box that contains a doorway to a hellish netherworld. Trapped in limbo, between life and death, he schemes with his sister-in-law to sacrifice his brother in an effort to restore his physical body. The above-mentioned bonus features include an original Hellraiser featurette, interviews with Barker, as well as the cast and creative team.

EDIT: ok, so CH has the release date as 9/20 which is a thursday so i know that's wrong but amazon has it listed here as being released on 10/23 which is probably more realistic and also has it as being "not rated"

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 08-21-07 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Unrated? Please
Old 08-21-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Unrated? Please
columbia house has it as being rated R but it could just be too early for an accurate listing.
Old 08-21-07, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love Hellraiser and gladly own it on DVD, but how many releases does Hellraiser need? I never used to mind too much seeing all these re-releases (Halloween for example) but that was because Anchor Bay was also putting out other new releases for movies not on DVD. There is a long list of unreleased horror movies out there, surely Anchor Bay could put their time into aquiring some new titles? I knows that easy for me to say, to sit here and say they should release this, release that, but IMO they really need to put out some new horror titles.

Last edited by Joel Goodsen; 08-21-07 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joel Goodsen
I love Hellraiser and gladly own it on DVD, but how many releases does Hellraiser need? I never used to mind too much seeing all these re-releases (Halloween for example) but that was because Anchor Bay was also putting out other new releases for movies not on DVD. There is a long list of unreleased horror movies out there, surely Anchor Bay could put their time into aquiring some new titles? I knows that easy for me to say, to sit here and say they should release this, release that, but IMO they really need to put out some new horror titles.
This is the third. The first one was a terrible release, it was released again around 2001 (the one out now). That one came out in a tin as well as a regular case, but were the exact same disc. If they improve the picture quality, I'm in. This film is in no way as bad as the Evil Dead series and Halloween.
Old 08-21-07, 08:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The Anchor Bay 'tin' DVD cut is the unrated version, it's just not officially listed on the tin as such... there is extra blood during the hammer attack it's talked about in the commentary... oddly the bodyrip scene seen uncut in Hellraiser 2 is still trunscated for Hellraiser I.
Old 08-21-07, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cerial442
This film is in no way as bad as the Evil Dead series and Halloween.
Well that is true but still...3 releases for one movie and yet 0 for so many other titles. I was pretty pleased overall with the tin set. When I first posted, I was thinking about the UK releases aswell, because everywhere I looked, I remember seeing Hellraiser available. In Box sets, individual releases, the puzzle box release (very good idea by the way). I just think they should put more time into new releases instead of re-releasing the same titles all the time.
Old 08-21-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well that is true but still...3 releases for one movie and yet 0 for so many other titles. I was pretty pleased overall with the tin set. When I first posted, I was thinking about the UK releases aswell, because everywhere I looked, I remember seeing Hellraiser available. In Box sets, individual releases, the puzzle box release (very good idea by the way). I just think they should put more time into new releases instead of re-releasing the same titles all the time.
You really can't count the first release, because it was during the early days of DVD, and terrible quality. The tin release is OK, but could use an upgrade in picture quality, which this release will serve. If the tin is OK with you, keep the tin.

Also, it isn't like Anchor Bay can just release any title they want.
Old 08-21-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
The Anchor Bay 'tin' DVD cut is the unrated version, it's just not officially listed on the tin as such... there is extra blood during the hammer attack it's talked about in the commentary... oddly the bodyrip scene seen uncut in Hellraiser 2 is still trunscated for Hellraiser I.
Damn, I remember specifically putting that one back b/c it didn't say unrated
Old 08-21-07, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by cerial442
You really can't count the first release, because it was during the early days of DVD, and terrible quality. The tin release is OK, but could use an upgrade in picture quality, which this release will serve. If the tin is OK with you, keep the tin.

Also, it isn't like Anchor Bay can just release any title they want.
I know Anchor Bay can't release any title they want, as I said in the post ABOVE. Here is a good solution...Why dont Anchor Bay just do one release and make sure that release meets all needs? Fair enough on the earlier releases, but on a second, they should be nailing it then. Instead, money goes on a 3rd release, instead of aquiring titles that do not have a DVD release. Thats just my take on the situation. Anyway, I hope its a good release for anyone who is buying it. Im afraid I wont be one of them.

Last edited by Joel Goodsen; 08-21-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a good solution...Why dont Anchor Bay just do one release and make sure that release meets all needs?
Oh god dammit. All this time we've been making money and screwing the customer and NOW you tell us.
Old 08-21-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon lists it as Not Rated 93min (the same as other stand alone releases)

but imdb says they cuts are
94 min / Finland:86 min (cut) / Sweden:89 min (cut version)?
Old 08-21-07, 12:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Amazon lists it as Not Rated 93min (the same as other stand alone releases)

but imdb says they cuts are
94 min / Finland:86 min (cut) / Sweden:89 min (cut version)?
imdb are never 100% accurate when it comes to running times.
Old 08-21-07, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Oh god dammit. All this time we've been making money and screwing the customer and NOW you tell us.
I know...its an amazing idea. How stupid of me to suggest it to a world that already knows and yet carries on buying re-releases happily without any questions.

P.S - I am always happy to set you up for your sarcastic comment of the day. I know it makes you feel better and increases your self confidence. I heard a saying that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I've never minded it though

Last edited by Joel Goodsen; 08-21-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 01:03 PM

Anchor Bay does it right, so this should be good. I'm 80% in on this release.
Old 08-21-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know...its an amazing idea. How stupid of me to suggest it to a world that already knows and yet carries on buying re-releases happily without any questions.
This sarcasm was directed more at movie studios and not at you.

Still, this is not unexpected. Barker is penning a remake right now. Remakes are always a sign that new DVDs are on the horizon.
Old 08-26-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There'd better be some damn good features to get me to upgrade. I already have the Hellraiser/Hellbound set and it's a nice little package.
Old 08-26-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I own the tin and I love it, but I rarely watch it so I doubt I would upgrade (unless it had some really cool extras).
Old 08-26-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darthmaher
I own the tin and I love it, but I rarely watch it so I doubt I would upgrade (unless it had some really cool extras).
Or a remastered 6.1 DTS track. Imagine how killer Young's score and the chains would be in 6.1.
Old 08-27-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I’m going to pick this one up but this better be the last release of Hellraiser. It’s Anchor Bay (now ‘Starz’) so they’ll be more re-releases. The folks over at ‘Starz’ must really love watching Halloween & Hellraiser.
Old 08-27-07, 10:32 AM

Here is a good solution...Why dont Anchor Bay just do one release and make sure that release meets all needs?
Because that would be a stupid business decision.
Without re-releases of big ticket titles like Halloween, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, The Wicker Man, etc., Anchor Bay wouldn't be able to fund the smaller titles. 90% of Anchor Bay's titles don't even get mentioned on this board.

The re-releases continue to sell well, so there's obviously a market for them.
Old 08-27-07, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by soop
Because that would be a stupid business decision.
Without re-releases of big ticket titles like Halloween, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, The Wicker Man, etc., Anchor Bay wouldn't be able to fund the smaller titles. 90% of Anchor Bay's titles don't even get mentioned on this board.

The re-releases continue to sell well, so there's obviously a market for them.
I thought about this, but one release - great, 2nd release - Understandable, more extras etc and should nail it for good. But 3rd and 4th releases? I dont blame Anchor Bay for making money, more power to them. Maybe it is the consumers that are idiots, because I know I wont keep on buying Hellraiser etc. I would hope that my one, maybe two purchases of a release of their title, would be more than enough to help them gain money and release other titles instead of the same movie.

Looking in my collection, I have alot of Anchor Bay titles, even some unknown titles. I said before, it doesn't bother me too much if Anchor Bay keeps on re-releasing the same title, it is when they keep re-releasing the same title and do not have any other titles announced. AB was pretty reliable when it came to new releases on a pretty regular basis, and announcing titles we never thought would come out. I suppose I am just dissapointed that this trend has slowed right down and it is just re-releases I keep seeing on their schedule.

Yep, its just the dissapointment of not seeing Slaughter High, Curtains, Final Exam and the long list of other titles not getting a release. Nope, Its just Hellraiser and Halloween, Hellraiser and Halloween. I hope people don't think I am saying " Don't be an idiot and buy another release of Hellraiser " because I am not. Obviously, it is your money, you work for it, and you can spend it on what the heck you like and that is how it should be. My point is, seeing another re-release of Hellraiser etc is not as bad, when you are seeing a release announced of a first time movie on DVD, something which is not yet released. The way I am talking, it would seem that AB has any title they want available to them and they can just pick one and magically transform it onto DVD...I am aware nothing in life is that easy, but surely they can release a new horror title every once in a while that hasn't had 4 re-releases already and is a first time release?
Old 08-27-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with you, Joel. AB does seem to be in some sort of re-release frenzy of late and that has slowed down the pipeline on new releases (or, well, new-to-DVD releases, I should say). That said, though, I don't think the Hellraiser situation is that out of hand yet. It basically conforms to my sense of tolerance for re-releases. In my mind, if you have a first release that was from the early days of DVD when a lot of transfers were not anamorphic, were fullscreen-only, or were lower-quality laserdisc or broadcast ports, then you get up to 2 more cracks at it in the next 10-15 years without being just ridiculously greedy. You figure the second release is meant to correct the first, with the main objective being to get the thing out there in anamorphic WS with a decent transfer and a few extras. Then a few years go by and the strong sales figures justify going back and taking one last crack at it so you can give the fans an ultimate edition, correcting any final issues with the earlier releases and adding a bevy of extras to really round the thing out. That's how it ought to work, in my book. What I don't like is planned double-dips - Sony has written the book on this one - when they have the material to put on the original release, but purposely hold it back so that they can squeeze a few bucks out of collectors through a concerted merry-go-round releasing campaign; or when they do shit like with Evil Dead and Halloween where they have 20 different releases and still none of them get it 100% right (and you just know another one is looming in the next year or two). That's the shit that really pisses off collectors. Hellraiser hasn't gone over that edge yet. If it has an improved transfer and some new extras, I'm game.

Last edited by joliom; 08-27-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by joliom
I agree with you, Joel. AB does seem to be in some sort of re-release frenzy of late and that has slowed down the pipeline on new releases (or, well, new-to-DVD releases, I should say). That said, though, I don't think the Hellraiser situation is that out of hand yet. It basically conforms to my sense of tolerance for re-releases. In my mind, if you have a first release that was from the early days of DVD when a lot of transfers were not anamorphic, were fullscreen-only, or were lower-quality laserdisc or broadcast ports, then you get up to 2 more cracks at it in the next 10-15 years without being just ridiculously greedy. You figure the second release is meant to correct the first, with the main objective being to get the thing out there in anamorphic WS with a decent transfer and a few extras. Then a few years go by and the strong sales figures justify going back and taking one last crack at it so you can give the fans an ultimate edition, correcting any final issues with the earlier releases and adding a bevy of extras to really round the thing out. That's how it ought to work, in my book. What I don't like is planned double-dips - Sony has written the book on this one - when they have the material to put on the original release, but purposely hold it back so that they can squeeze a few bucks out of collectors through a concerted merry-go-round releasing campaign; or when they do shit like with Evil Dead and Halloween where they have 20 different releases and still none of them get it 100% right (and you just know another one is looming in the next year or two). That's the shit that really pisses off collectors. Hellraiser hasn't gone over that edge yet. If it has an improved transfer and some new extras, I'm game.
I can see what you mean, Joliom. Planned double dips are pretty damn annoying on the studios part. I hope this release of Hellraiser pleases fans and gets it right, but at the same time, I am thinking that another release of Hellraiser will probably come out before some titles see the light of day on DVD. Anything can happen I suppose though, and lets hope it gets turned around eventually. On the bright side, there is some good releases the later part of this year, The Burning being the one I am most pleased about. I guess I am just a whinger
Old 09-13-07, 03:30 PM

From Amazon and Horror-Movies.ca:

* Commentary with writer/director Clive Barker and star Ashley Laurence, and screenwriter Peter Atkins
* Hellraiser Resurrection Featurette
* Mr. Cotton I Presume?: Interview with Andrew Robinson
* Actress From Hell: Interview with Ashley Laurence
* Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellraiser
* Hellcomposer: Interview with Composer Christopher Young
* Still Galleries
* Trailers/TV Spots
* Bios
* DVD-ROM Screenplay

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_9214.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.