Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Help Selling My DVD Collection

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Selling My DVD Collection

NOTE : I'm not posting a listing for my DVD's on DVDTALK.com, I'm just asking a question...

Hello fellow DVD collector's, first off this obvioulsy is tough for me since I have been collecting DVD's for nearly 10 years now...but unfournatly I have fallen on hard times and I am considering selling my ENTIRE DVD collection. Rest assure all of my DVD's are in excellent collection as I have treated these things like my kids over the past 10 years. . I have almost 800 DVD's including box sets.

What is the best way to sell these? Individually? In sets (like 50 a set), or the entire collection in whole?

Is E-bay the best way to go?

What about sites like secondspin.com or half.com?

I fear is I sell them individually on ebay the shipping costs, and cost per item to list will be extremly expensive.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Old 08-20-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going to sell it on eBay, you can charge the S/H cost to bid winner. Be sure to let them know that.
Old 08-20-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Sell as many individually as possible, sell the ones that won't sell in lots (be sure to check and see if there is any demand for an item before you list it to save on fees)
Old 08-20-07, 10:42 AM
Banned

Depending on what DVDs you have, you get more money selling them through amazon.com.
Old 08-20-07, 10:45 AM

You could try listing them in the DVD Exchange Board.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Old 08-20-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sell individually. lots will save you time and lose you money
Old 08-20-07, 10:57 AM

Try newtownvideo.com and see how much you can get.

I've recently starting selling off my DVDs as well. I found this site and starting plugging in each title to see what I could get. If it was below $5, I wouldn't sell it, but if it was above $5, I would.

Plus, they pay for your shipping and can pay you by Paypal or check. Their prices were pretty good as well.

And much to my surprise, movies that I thought were readily available like The Spanish Prisoner and Everyone Says I Love You netted me $25 a piece!

Saxon
Old 08-20-07, 11:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Best $ would probably be ebay, although certain things sell for crazy amounts on amazon.

Sell here if you want to help out fellow collectors, you won't get top dollar here (we're bargain hunters after all).

Sell individually on ebay for top dollar.
Old 08-20-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I've never heard of this site until now. Anyone else have experience with them?
Old 08-20-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with MrShackleford...I would list them on the DVD Exchange forum
Old 08-20-07, 12:30 PM

I recently sold a lot of my collection of dvds, the best way to go is.

List all the box sets/OOP items on ebay/half.com. I don't like listing anything on half.com that is over $20. They only give you $3 for shipping, and they charge you $4.00 fee for selling a $30 item, so you get screwed. I sell the higher priced items on ebay, because you can add on a couple of dollars on the shipping to cover those ebay fees, which adds up.

It takes time, but then look up titles and see what will sell for a decent amount ($5-10) on half.

Make a list of the titles you won't get much for, and post that list on a site like this, or just make boxes of those titles and find someone who's having a garage sale and sell them for like $4 each, you will make more that way than by trading those in or half.
Old 08-20-07, 12:37 PM
Suspended

If you have THAT many, then some smaller sized lots might be OK. I guess it depends.

The problem with doing everything individually is that it takes so much time prepare and ship the goods.

You do make more money that way overall, but you pay more in shipping overall. It works out to be the better deal in the long run.

When I sold all my promo vinyl pieces I would put them into artist lots, but sometimes split them into two. I sold all my Tool vinyl separately, but I pull all my Pearl Jam stuff together.. and pulled the rarest piece out to list by itself since I expected it to get around 150.

If you have certain films by the same director you might want to put them up in small lots, or if you have a few Japanese Horror titles (just as an example) that you see listing for not that much individually... then try them in a small lot. Some people like to grab several titles at once like that for one shipping price.

Like others have said though. For maximum profit, first do a search of completed/sold listings and see what each title goes for on average, then list it accordingly.

Good luck.

*edit* that's good advice about half vs. ebay. i did not know that.. thx
Old 08-20-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, what about Amazon Marketplace? I usually use there. I know they take a certain percentage, but I've sold a lot of stuff on there.
Old 08-20-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
I would suggest looking into them further before selling anything to them. They are the same company as the infamous uzed.com that scammed a lot of people and has since been shut down. All they did was close the uzed.com site and migrate everything over to the newtownvideo.com one.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=15
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=21
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=23
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...271081,00.html
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...872903,00.html
http://search.bbb.org/Results.aspx?url=uzed.com (note the same PA address that is Newtown Video also)
Old 08-20-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say newtownvideo.com can go f' themselves then.
Old 08-20-07, 03:59 PM

dvds are ridiculously mad cheap on ebay. The criterions and tv seasons sell for good money but dvd movies are not really worth listing on ebay imo. Try amazon.com marketplace

The other option is to try taking the dvds to a store like blockbuster for store credit, and then sell the gift card on ebay, you can turn approx $100 in BB credit into $75 money on ebay.
Old 08-20-07, 05:00 PM

how much are you lookin to get for the whole collection? If you don't have time to sell them all I could buy your collection if a somewhat reasonable price and sell them to save you time. But i'm just a college student w/ no job for the upcoming quarter trying to make some extra cash and do something productive, ha. If that offends you i don't mean to...
Old 08-20-07, 05:38 PM

just make sure all the expensive stuff sells on its own, be it ebay, friends, stores, when all has been said & done garage sale the ones you wont get anything for.

thats wat i did with my cd collection
Old 08-21-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd sell most of it on amazon.com's marketplace. I know from experience that they tend to get as much as $50 extra over the ebay equivalent. The only problem is they charge you close to 20%, but ONLY if it sells. As an example, I used to sell the Kenshin premium box sets. They went for about $60 to $80 on ebay and about $100 to $140 on Amazon. And by "went" I mean that's the ranges I sold them for at both places around the same time.

But moving 800 would be too bothersome at a place like amazon, so the ones that aren't worth that much ought to go for auction on ebay, or take them to a store like FYE or suncoast for cash or credit. If there are still some left that they won't take, sell them to a pawn shop or game store.