Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if there's any hope for a re-release of MST3K:The Movie?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The subject line says it all.

I've been building up my MST3K on DVD collection over the last year or two. So far I've got everything except Volume 6, Volume 7, The Brain the Wouldn't Die, Red Zone Cuba, The Crawling Hand, and MST3K:The Movie.

With the exception of the movie, the other discs are still readily available, and I plan on purchasing them eventually.

I refuse to pay the high eBay price for the movie, though. I've considered buying the German release of the disc, but that's not ideal.

A R1 re-release from Universal would sure be nice, though. Has anyone heard any rumblings or glimmers of hope?

Just thought I'd check... thanks!
Old 08-17-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Even Mike Nelson had no hope for this anytime soon in a recent interview. I think it will get a rerelease at some point, but it doesn't sound like it is even on Universal's radar right now.
Old 08-17-07, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
for anyone in the DC area, the Library of Congress is having a screening of this at their theatre next week.
Old 08-17-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've purchased that movie used at game stores THREE times for less than $10. And each time I couldn't pass up selling it for over $100. It really isn't their best material, but as a semi-completist I, too, hope it comes out on dvd eventually.
Old 08-17-07, 02:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
for anyone in the DC area, the Library of Congress is having a screening of this at their theatre next week.
I might have to check that out (pun intended).
Old 08-17-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by izatright
It really isn't their best material, but as a semi-completist I, too, hope it comes out on dvd eventually.
What? This Island Earth is a classic and the riffing on that film is excellent. The host segments are weird and the movie is edited down too much, but the riffing is among their best. I consider it a must own title.
Old 08-19-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
What's the gist behind this movie? Why was this movie released as a "feature film", as opposed to being in their normal series?
Old 08-19-07, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
What's the gist behind this movie? Why was this movie released as a "feature film", as opposed to being in their normal series?
The movie was intended to let 1st time viewers enjoy MST3K without having seen the show before.

Other than the higher production values for the set on the SOL...there's no difference between the movie and any other MST3K TV episode. Actually, the movie is actually about 15 minutes shorter than the typical episode.

You also get a mini explanation from Doctor F. as to why Mike and the bots are watching bad movies. They never do that on the show since the opening sequence tells you why.

Last edited by GuyverX; 08-19-07 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-19-07, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
What? This Island Earth is a classic and the riffing on that film is excellent. The host segments are weird and the movie is edited down too much, but the riffing is among their best. I consider it a must own title.
"It has a refreshing minty flavor."
"The secret government Ego project."
"Normal view! Normal view!"
"Are you boys wrestling down there. No! Are you building an Interocetor?"
"Weanie-mobile awayyyyyyy!"
"Puppet wranglers? There weren't any puppets in this movie."
"Self cleaning mutant. Leaves only the fresh scent of pine."
"This isn't shot day-for-night. It's more like 4:30-for-5:15."
"EASTMAN! He came from the east, to do battle with the amazing RANDO!"
Old 08-19-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $100, I'd sell it again if I found it for under $25. I like every episodes, and laugh a great deal on all of them. But it's still not their best material, imo.
Old 08-19-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely one of their better ones, even when they weren't allowed to be as obscure with the riffing as usual. IIRC, there were many instances where they had to change a line because the suits thought that it was too obscure for the average moron. The only one that I remember was when one of the bots said "Leona Helmsley!" when the alien walked in the room, it was originally "Bootsy Collins!" but the execs said that the average movie-goer wouldn't know who Bootsy was.

I still have my VHS copy of the movie, and as soon as I can get around to learning how to run my VHS to DVD deck, I'll be making a copy so I can watch it without wearing out the tape anymore.
Old 08-19-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also dumbstruck by someone thinking this isn't among their best material. One of the best examples of hilarious and consistent riffing in the history of MST3K. Yes, the segments around "This Island Earth" weren't that great, but the majority of the film is the riffing, which is pitch-perfect throughout.
Old 08-19-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
They used to riff on THIS ISLAND EARTH live at conventions, so by the time they made the movie, they had the timing and delivery down pat. I'm a big fan of the film but refuse to buy the DVD at current prices. I ended up getting the laserdisc version on ebay for about 10 bucks, so that's good enough for now (the DVD wasn't anamorphic anyway, Image just used the laserdisc transfer, so the quality of the two versions is probably comparable).
Old 08-19-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
Are you sure? It looks like they are screening MST3K: Hamlet.
Old 08-19-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
"Are you boys wrestling down there. No! Are you building an Interocetor?"
RANDO!"

"Interocetor? I've been using mine to make hot chocolate."

I'm constantly amazed at the studios that don't see the market for these on eBay and try to get a piece of that pie for themselves. They could even make a nice 2 disc set out of this. First disc, 16x9 theatrical cut. Second disc, the original full-length version with all the jokes too obscure for the common moran.

I lucked out and got mine fairly cheap right as they were getting rare, and picked up a second copy at the time which I sold for "only" $60.