DVD Talk
Billy Crystal to take over 'Late Night' from Conan? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Billy Crystal to take over 'Late Night' from Conan?

derekjet
08-15-07, 12:33 PM
I read in the NY Post this morning that there are rumors that Crystal wants a late nite show and get paid 20 mil per year.

If he doesnt get Conan's gig, he'll look to syndication.

While I've met Crystal in person, and he does come across as an arrogant dick, he'd make a great host. That's acting folks!

TheMadMonk
08-15-07, 12:37 PM
I don't think he'd bring in the right demographic for that time slot.

Him wanting a late night show, and him getting one are two different things. And $20 million is ridiculous.

JuryDuty
08-15-07, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I think he'd be a better replacement for Leno than Conan.

derekjet
08-15-07, 12:46 PM
I don't think he'd bring in the right demographic for that time slot.

Him wanting a late night show, and him getting one are two different things. And $20 million is ridiculous.

Letterman makes 35 million. Leno makes over 20 mil.

Why is 20 million ridiculous in this day and age?

Crystal is still EXTREMELY popular as a late night guest, along with the fact that his Broadway show was a HUGE hit. On top of that, his movie career is kaput, so why wouldnt he want and get a gig like this?

GuessWho
08-15-07, 12:48 PM
They've proven themselves as talk show hosts. Billy hasn't.

Being funny on stage and in movies doesn't mean you'll be a good host. Anyone else remember Chevy Chase?

derekjet
08-15-07, 12:50 PM
They've proven themselves as talk show hosts. Billy hasn't.

Being funny on stage and in movies doesn't mean you'll be a good host. Anyone else remember Chevy Chase?

CHEVY CHASE???!?!?!??!? Chevy Chase hasnt been funny in ANY MEDIUM for 25 years.

Crystal has consistently been funny on tv and is still a huge draw as a tv personality.

Next thing you'll tell me is that Magic Johnson was funny at one time and deserved a late night gig like he had ...

movieking
08-15-07, 12:54 PM
I don't think that Billy Crystal would be a successful host. He'd get big ratings starting off, then they would continue to decline. He definitely doesn't deserve the $20M quoted.

Timber
08-15-07, 01:17 PM
It's not funny, it's not fun.

Charlie Goose
08-15-07, 01:19 PM
CHEVY CHASE???!?!?!??!? Chevy Chase hasnt been funny in ANY MEDIUM for 25 years.

You're being kind, I would say since he left SNL. And even that is remembered for better than it really was.

One thing Chase and Crystal do have in common is that they are both total douchebags.

Anyway, Crystal is so not right for that spot.

derekjet
08-15-07, 01:39 PM
It's not funny, it's not fun.

And bababooey to y'all you Stuttering fool.

DVD Josh
08-15-07, 01:46 PM
We are going to start believing the Post now?

derekjet
08-15-07, 02:24 PM
We are going to start believing the Post now?

The Post is a lot like Jose Canseco ... We hate to believe anything they say, but they're not far off from the truth.

DVD Josh
08-15-07, 03:05 PM
The Post is a lot like Jose Canseco ... We hate to believe anything they say, but they're not far off from the truth.

:lol:

DRG
08-15-07, 03:12 PM
We would be good at incorporating characters into the show like Carson did, and he can deliver a monologue. But I wonder if he has interview skills... being a good guest is so different from being a good host.

kvrdave
08-15-07, 03:23 PM
I didn't know Crystal was a butt in real life. What has he done?

derekjet
08-15-07, 03:49 PM
I didn't know Crystal was a butt in real life. What has he done?

When the camera's turned off, he's a standoffish guy, to say the least.

fujishig
08-15-07, 03:55 PM
Did Conan announce he was moving on to something else, or would they basically can him for Crystal in this scenario?

Deftones
08-15-07, 04:00 PM
Did Conan announce he was moving on to something else, or would they basically can him for Crystal in this scenario?

No, but it sounds like NBC isn't necessarily going to hand him the Tonight Show reigns in 2009 as they promised. So, Conan could go elsewhere should that not happen.

fujishig
08-15-07, 04:20 PM
No, but it sounds like NBC isn't necessarily going to hand him the Tonight Show reigns in 2009 as they promised. So, Conan could go elsewhere should that not happen.

This seems like deja vu...

GoldenJCJ
08-15-07, 06:56 PM
Really? I thought this was a done deal. Didn't they already publicly announce Conan was taking over for Jay? What happened?

movieking
08-15-07, 07:01 PM
Yes they announced it, but rumours have it that NBC is considering keeping Jay and just paying Conan in his "pay or play" deal. Conan could end up with a ton of money from NBC, plus another show on a competing network.

fujishig
08-15-07, 07:30 PM
Yes they announced it, but rumours have it that NBC is considering keeping Jay and just paying Conan in his "pay or play" deal. Conan could end up with a ton of money from NBC, plus another show on a competing network.

And how does that make sense for NBC? They'd be paying Conan to compete against them, and paying Crystal or whomever his replacement would be.

TheMadMonk
08-15-07, 07:36 PM
Isn't NBC also rumored to be paying Jimmy Fallon to not take another job right now, so he can get Conan's spot?

NBC pays Conan, while he takes a job on another network
NBC pays Fallon to not take a job elsewhere, so he can take over Conan's spot
NBC keeps paying Leno his high salary
NBC blows off Fallon to give $20 million to Billy Crystal

Pretty ridiculous if those were all true (or any combination of them).

shanester
08-16-07, 07:23 AM
One think Billy can do is great impressions. I still rememebr his Sammy Davis JR routine on SNL the one season he was on '85-86. It's one of the funniest bits ever. I didn't even recognize him under all that make up. He also does a pretty good Muhammed Ali & Howard Cosell

Charlie Goose
08-16-07, 08:42 AM
One think Billy can do is great impressions. I still rememebr his Sammy Davis JR routine on SNL the one season he was on '85-86. It's one of the funniest bits ever. I didn't even recognize him under all that make up. He also does a pretty good Muhammed Ali & Howard Cosell

Sammy. Ali. Cosell.

That, my friends, is relevant cutting-edge comedy gold!

Sad to say, I think I would prefer Fallon. :|

nateman
08-16-07, 09:44 AM
I hope Conan does get The Tonight Show spot in 2009 but I think it will end up that NBC just gives him the payout & he leaves the Late Night spot & either retires or does some other projects.

I really hope Conan takes over for Leno because Iíve never, ever found Jay funny in his entire run on The Tonight Show. Iím not a fan of David Letterman now but he deserved The Tonight Show spot. He was actually funny when he was hosting Late Night.

Billy C. is alright but I donít want to see him 5 nights a week. Besides his voice over work on Monsters Inc, the only other movie I thought he was funny in was Throw Momma from a Train.

Iíd throw myself into a Train if Jimmy Fallon got the Late Night spot. I hated how he never made it through a skit on SNL without giggling.

aktick
08-16-07, 10:22 AM
Can't stand Crystal, I'd never watch.

GoldenJCJ
08-16-07, 01:28 PM
Ok, I'll just say what we're all thinking. Carson Daly deserves Jay's spot. :sarcasm:

Numanoid
08-16-07, 08:43 PM
Sammy. Ali. Cosell.

That, my friends, is relevant cutting-edge comedy gold!:lol:

nateman
08-17-07, 07:49 AM
Ok, I'll just say what we're all thinking. Carson Daly deserves Jay's spot. :sarcasm:
:lol: Sarcasm at itís finest! :up:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0