Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Velvet Revolver/Alice in Chains 2007 tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen this show yet? I'm going in Buffalo tomorrow night and can't wait! Just looking for a review from anyone who's seen it. The setlists I've found look great- good mix of VR, GnR, and STP. Alice in Chains' setlist looks like a greatest hits show....

I'll post my review shortly afterwards (within a couple of days).
Old 08-16-07, 09:36 AM

The Headless Bands Tour.
Old 08-16-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I saw VR at ozzfest two years ago. Man, what a souless show, no crowd interaction...they just ripped through the songs and gone. Love their music but I won't pay to watch them live again.
Old 08-16-07, 01:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kramdenfan, I hope that you get to see a good show and can post your review afterwards.

However, responding to the post before mine, VR seemed pretty much dead at Live8 also.

At the time I put it down to the audience being unfamiliar with their work but maybe they DO lack stage presence!
Old 08-16-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I can't stand the new album, so I'm not really considering seeing them at this point. I like the first album, though, and would have liked to see them on that tour.
Old 08-17-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd go just to witness the opening band, Kill Hannah, blow the headliners away....
Old 08-19-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
VR rocked when I saw them, but that was before they put out their most recent album. I've heard AIC rocks, but it just seems strange to me.

It should be a decent show, unless you have high expectations.
Old 08-23-07, 11:07 AM

Better late than never!

Ok, all- here's my review on the show. I had to take a few days (okay- a week) before writing it, since I had to think about what to say exactly...read on and you'll understand what I mean by that.

-----------------------

I was very excited about this show for a few reasons: 1.) Matt Sorum has been one of my favorite drummers since I was a kid and he was a member of the Cult 2.) I really dig Velvet Revolver's sound, being straight forward rock (which doesn't seem to be heard much today, IMO), 3.) We had FRONT ROW tix!!!

Upon walking into the arena, a white-board was at each entrance with the schedule of who was playing and when (times listed are approximate for the review), and each band was right on schedule:
Kill Hannah: 7:00-7:20
Alice in Chains: 7:40-8:20
Velvet Revolver: 8:40-10:50

We walked in around 7:15 and heard the last 2 songs by Kill Hanah. I wasn't impressed, but 2 songs aren't a good judgement on a band...

Alice in Chains took the stage right on time. Their new singer, William Duvall, is incredible. He's very confident on stage, has a unique look, and has a damn near perfect match for Layne Staley's voice. The band all seems to be having a good time and it was great to hear a good mix of their hits:

Again
Grind
Them Bones
Down in a Hole
When I Die
Sludge Factory
Angry Chair
Man in the Box
Would?
Rooster

The crowd all seemed to love the reformed AIC and gave Duvall a great response. When they were done, a giant black curtain dropped while the stage hands got VR's stage setup.

One thing I have to mention: after what I considered a horrible performance on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, as excited as I was to see them, I was also curious to see how VR would sound playing thier own stuff. Sound-wise, they did not disappoint! When the curtain dropped, they immediately started playing the opening tune of their new album, "Let it Roll," then went immediately into the next tune, "She Mine" (which also happens to be the next tune on Libertdad). The sound was great, energy was high, everyone seemed to be having a good time, and family members of the band could be seen on the side of the stage. At one point Scott Weiland yelled to the crowd (paraphrasing, of course), "We're Velvet Revolver and we're a Rock 'n Roll band!! Tonight you'll hear songs from both of our albums, as well as a few surprises here and there." He delivered his promise. The setlist included a good mix of VR material, as well as selections from Stone Temple Pilots, Guns n Roses, and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" for their second encore.
All in all, it was a great show. Until.....

As I mentioned earlier, I was lucky enough to get front row tix. About three quarters of the way through VR's setlist, a girl who was sitting to our left got excited as Scott came walking in front of the stage (still behind the barrier) and ran towards the barriers, hands up, probably hoping to get a high-five. What did Scott do? He spit at her. That's right, folks, you read it correctly. The guy SPIT at her. Part of the spray hit my wife's arm. I was disgusted and stunned. It was completely uncalled for. Then during the next song, which was "It's So Easy," he spit towards her/us AGAIN as he yelled the "why don't you just...F-off" line. I had to dodge out of the way as the goober landed where my feet were. At this point, the show was ruined for me. I've discussed this on VR fan boards, and others who where there have no idea why he did this. I'd never condone or justify a singer to spit, but could somewhat understand a need for retaliation if a bottle was thrown at him or something like that. This couple was near me, and nothing like that was done. We were so annoyed by Weiland, not to mention worried about getting spit on everytime the guy came near our end of the stage, that I wasn't enjoying the show anymore. We ended up leaving during the second encore.

Dave, Duff, Slash, and Matt- they all rocked and I would pay to see them again, but I will not see Scott Weiland live ever again. It is probably my loss, but he ruined it for me, especially since I really like the band.

Here's the complete setlist of VR:

Let It Roll
She Mine
Sucker Train Blues
Do It For The Kids
Superhuman
Big Machine
Pills, Demons, Etc.
Vasoline
The Last Fight
Interstate Love Song
Patience
Gravedancer
Just Sixteen
It's So Easy
Get Out The Door
Fall To Pieces
She Builds Quick Machines
Set Me Free
---Encore 1---
Mr. Brownstone
Sex Type Thing
---Encore 2---
Wish You Were Here
Slither
------------------------------------------

Old 08-23-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
What a dick.
Old 08-23-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that is disgusting.....but i find that so weird. I saw them in Cleveland front row 2 years ago. He was chatting with girls all night, "asking them if they like to fuck?" (yes a gross line, but at least it is not spitting)
Old 08-23-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see Weiland hasn't changed that much from the time I met him at an after show party when they toured w/ Megadeth (many years ago w/ STP). Not a nice person at all. I also thought VR was going to get away from playing a lot of GnR and STP songs. Quick glance was about 8/9. Personally I would rather go to see AIC, even w/o Layne.
Old 08-23-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
I saw Velvet Revolver on their first album tour and it was okay. Nothing I felt like I had to see again.

After hearing that the so-called Alice In Chains was with them on this tour, I would never support this concert. Call themselves anything else they want & play all the AIC they want, but don't call themselves Alice In Chains without Layne. If Cantrell had suceeded solo-wise, AIC would be as dead as Layne is.