Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Heeeres Johnny --> 11/06/07

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Heeeres Johnny --> 11/06/07

From tvshowsondvd.com

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson has had several DVD releases, but none to top this Fall's Heeere's Johnny 12-disc collection! This set from Respond2 Entertainment brings together four previously-available releases into one huge collectable package. One of those four items, though, has never been made available to the general public before...and it comprises half of this release. Here is the breakdown, courtesy of the studio:
The Heeere's Johnny Definitive DVD Collection from The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson includes a total of 12 discs packed with the best, most hilarious content ever seen on the show:

"Timeless Moments", a 6-disc collection that was previously exclusive to Carson Club members, is now only available as part of this set and is not sold separately.
The 3-disc original "Ultimate Collection"
2-disc "Stand-Up Comedians" set featuring 20 of the funniest comics around
"Carson Country", showcasing the best in Country's performers and guests

This collection will be offered in all-new collectable gate-fold packaging...makes the ideal holiday gift for the Johnny Carson fan in every family!
The set ships on November 6th, for a cost of $99.99 SRP. Never fear, though, because retailers will discount it, and you can already lock in a copy of this for just $69.99 if you pre-order it from Amazon.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7847

Old 08-14-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow that looks incredibly cool.
Old 08-14-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Hells yeah!
Old 08-14-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the cover design! For $70, I'll bite.
Old 08-15-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm...I already have the Ultimate collection, but may sell it to obtain this set. It looks very appealing for $70.
Old 08-15-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the Stand-Up Comedians & the Carson Country DVD but I don’t own any of the others so this is a must buy for me. I’ll pay $99 (+ taxes) for this incredible looking set.

That set will look kick-ass in my HT room.
Old 08-15-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The No Man
One of those four items, though, has never been made available to the general public before...and it comprises half of this release.

"Timeless Moments", a 6-disc collection that was previously exclusive to Carson Club members...
That is absolutely NOT true! I ordered 'Timeless Moments' in April 2004 as part of a set from Amazon.

Also, be aware that there is a lot of overlap between the Timeless Moments discs and the Ultimate Collection and the Stand-Up Comedians (assuming the Stand-Up comedians discs are like "Tonight Show Comedians Volume 1 and 2").
Old 08-15-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
I have the Stand-Up Comedians & the Carson Country DVD but I don’t own any of the others so this is a must buy for me.
Nateman, just a word of warning... 'The Tonight Show Comedians Volume 2' and 'Timeless Moments Volume 3' discs have EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT!
Old 08-15-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Nateman, just a word of warning... 'The Tonight Show Comedians Volume 2' and 'Timeless Moments Volume 3' discs have EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT!
Really? Talk about cheapness.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 08-16-07, 09:41 AM

This looks like a great set.

Johnny's Tonight Show is the pinnacle of talk shows. His quick wit and and unassuming demeanor is part of the whole charm. He never tried to do humor that is 'too smart for the room'.

While I enjoy Dave and Jay, they are just not in the same league as Johnny.

If I turn on the Tonight show after Jay's monologue begins, I can tolerate it, but the standing ovation every night is just gratuitous. It takes me completely out of it. When did this start? Maybe after the show is over it's appropriate, but a standing O for just walking on stage is insane.

Dave can still have some gems, but he just seems tired of the whole affair. He really lost some steam about the time that Johnny died. When he is up for the show, he can be brilliant. But for most of it, he seems to be sleep walking.

I really respect that Johnny never got talked into returning to host specials or becoming a Bob Hope type personality. When he got out, he got out and was able to enjoy the last years of his life. Classy until the end. We will not see the likes of Johnny Carson again. That alone makes this set a must buy for me.
Old 08-17-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cbearnm
... but the standing ovation every night is just gratuitous. It takes me completely out of it. When did this start?
Arsenio Hall?
Old 08-17-07, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
That is absolutely NOT true! I ordered 'Timeless Moments' in April 2004 as part of a set from Amazon...
Similar to Al_Tahoe, I picked up all six "Timeless Moments" discs on eBay from R2 Entertainment back in January 2006.

Those who already have the "Ultimate Collection" set and just want the "Timeless Moments" discs might want to check there if they don't want to buy this new collection.