DVD Talk
Network programming block originates from what city? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Network programming block originates from what city?

ILikeDVD
08-11-07, 03:12 PM
Cant really find info, even on wikipedia on this. For example the Kids WB block of sat morn shows and commercials are the same on the east and west coast. Where do the local affiliates get their signal from? Ny or La or both? is it from the local affiliate or someplace totally different? A studio located in the mid-west? Also the major networks like abc nbc and cbs. Where do they send out their NETWORK signal programming to local afflilites to brodacast? Just wondered.

lordwow
08-11-07, 04:22 PM
Uhh well... for networks with local affiliates, they send out a national feed (via a feed) to the local channel who send it out through various means (so people without cable can watch with bunny ears and stuff). There are blocks of time when local programming happens (the news, local kids programs) where the local network is broadcasting off their own tapes rather than from a national feed.

As far as where these places are located national, I have no freaking clue, and it's different for each station.

Tracer Bullet
08-11-07, 11:23 PM
I'm fairly certain the national feed is sent out via satellite, which the affiliates retransmit over the air. That's why it used to be possible for people with satellite dishes to pick up the raw network feed and see things like Dan Rather picking his nose during a commercial break.

lordwow
08-11-07, 11:35 PM
I'm fairly certain the national feed is sent out via satellite, which the affiliates retransmit over the air. That's why it used to be possible for people with satellite dishes to pick up the raw network feed and see things like Dan Rather picking his nose during a commercial break.

I agree with this, I wasn't 100% sure if that was accurate and I actually edited "satellite" to say "feed," but I was pretty sure it was a satellite.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0