DVD Talk
Characters that changed dramatically [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Characters that changed dramatically

Lee Harvey Oswald
08-10-07, 11:13 PM
What shows had characters that changed dramatically (or somewhat dramatically) during its run. I don't mean like puberty or a baby going from being a baby one year to a 4 yr old the next.

Darlene on Roseanne went from being a funny, smart ass kid to the depressed goth chick, to I'm not sure what because I quit watching.

wendersfan
08-10-07, 11:32 PM
Willow changed a lot. Wesley changed even more, IMO. His character arc was probably the most interesting of any of the Buffyverse characters.

movieguru
08-11-07, 12:23 AM
David banner in "The Incredible Hulk".

stingermck
08-11-07, 12:51 AM
Wesley from Buffy/Angel, hands down. Bumbling shy guy, to locking women in closets. Good stuff.

Banner. Hehe.

Arthur Dent
08-11-07, 01:02 AM
Damnit, two mentions for Wesley already!

RobCA
08-11-07, 01:24 AM
Ellen ;)

Cusm
08-11-07, 01:35 AM
Frasier Crane on Cheers changed more than any character I can think of, and then changed (back) again once he moved to Seattle.

Sipowicz (sp) on NYPD Blue - but the series was kinda about the redemption of Andy.

McNulty on the Wire.

Then the pussification of Tommy Gavin on Rescue Me this season whatever that is about.

sjrab16
08-11-07, 01:57 AM
Frasier Crane on Cheers changed more than any character I can think of, and then changed (back) again once he moved to Seattle.

That is why I never liked the sitcom Frasier, because the way they changed his character back into what he was like at the beginning. To me it did not make sense

RoboDad
08-11-07, 02:24 AM
This one goes back a while, but the Lou Grant character changed quite a bit when he moved from The Mary Tyler Moore Show to his own Lou Grant. In some ways, you could say that he was the same character in name only.

Bill Needle
08-11-07, 03:25 AM
The Fonze - from a non-speaking, blue jacketed tough guy, to a leather jacketed song and dance man.

Peg and Al Bundy - they actually seemed to like each other in early episodes, but turned into cartoonish charicatures by the end of the series.

Jimmy James
08-11-07, 10:06 AM
Bright Abbott, from womanizing jock to sensitive Ephraim clone.

nateman
08-11-07, 10:49 AM
The Fonze - from a non-speaking, blue jacketed tough guy, to a leather jacketed song and dance man.

Peg and Al Bundy - they actually seemed to like each other in early episodes, but turned into cartoonish charicatures by the end of the series.
I've noticed that as well as I watch the seasons again as the DVDs are released (F**k Sony is taking their time). The Season One episode, "Sixteen Years and What Do You Get" is the perfect example of this. By the end of the episode they ended up dancing together & showing their love for each other in the typical "sitcom sensitivity" way. Then as the episodes roll along you see less & less of their love for each other & more & more of their hate for each other. If someone watched the first season & then jumped to the fourth or fifth, they wouldn't be watching the same Al & Peg. Now I'm not saying it was a bad thing that they didn't show the whole "I love you" thing to each other but by the final season (11) they were just (like you said) cartoon characters.

Also, Peg's make-up (look) style changed. Al always looked about the same though.

Alan Alda's Hawkeye changed dramatically (literally), but for the better on M*A*S*H.

The cast of Seinfeld weren't complete a**holes in the first 2 or 3 seasons. Julia LD. wasn't as grating as she would be in later seasons.

Elliot Reid (played by the one & only Sarah Chalke :drool: ) on Scrubs went from the "natural" look to the "sluttier" look.

Coral
08-11-07, 11:18 AM
Alan Alda's Hawkeye changed dramatically (literally), but for the better on M*A*S*H

One of the bigger changes in a TV character (also from MASH) was Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan. She was having an affair with a married man, was very pro-war and was always on a power trip. Her nurses hated her and so did everyone else in the 4077th. Simply put, she was a bitch.

Then one episode she comes back from Tokyo engaged to Penobscott and right away you start to see that she's opened up a bit more and is a bit more fun loving even if she was still pro-war. After Burns left the show and she got divorced she was suddenly "one of the guys", playing along in some of their schemes and her nurses liked her (especially after an episode where she confronted them about not being one of the girls). She actually cared about other people, stopped the power-tripping and it was hard to get a grasp on her stance on the war (she seemed to still be of the military mindset, but she definitely wasn't as gung-ho about the war as she used to be).

It almost felt like they killed off the Hotlips character (did anyone even call her "Hotlips" the last few seasons?) and replaced her.

cdollaz
08-11-07, 11:22 AM
Kramer changed alot.

calhoun07
08-11-07, 11:27 AM
Does Trapper John from MASH count from the MASH series to Trapper John MD?

TheMadMonk
08-11-07, 12:58 PM
Waylan Smithers appeared to be black in the early episodes of the Simpsons.

Nesbit
08-11-07, 01:31 PM
Kelly from The Office.

Drexl
08-11-07, 01:38 PM
Mr. Garrison got a sex change on South Park.

sherm42
08-11-07, 02:03 PM
Michael on Melrose Place. From a good doctor and husband to a lying and cheating a-hole.

islandclaws
08-11-07, 02:35 PM
Another for M*A*S*H:

Klinger. From cross-dressing Section 8-seeker to clean-cut corporal.

wm lopez
08-11-07, 04:30 PM
Archie Bunker changed big time.

Rockmjd23
08-11-07, 04:33 PM
Scully went from being the skeptic to the one with the zany theories in the last few seasons of X-Files.

BlueCC
08-11-07, 05:05 PM
Gabrielle from Xena Warrior Princess

Tscott
08-11-07, 09:12 PM
Londo Mollari
G'Kar

wendersfan
08-11-07, 10:07 PM
One of the bigger changes in a TV character (also from MASH) was Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan. She was having an affair with a married man, was very pro-war and was always on a power trip. Her nurses hated her and so did everyone else in the 4077th. Simply put, she was a bitch.

Then one episode she comes back from Tokyo engaged to Penobscott and right away you start to see that she's opened up a bit more and is a bit more fun loving even if she was still pro-war. After Burns left the show and she got divorced she was suddenly "one of the guys", playing along in some of their schemes and her nurses liked her (especially after an episode where she confronted them about not being one of the girls). She actually cared about other people, stopped the power-tripping and it was hard to get a grasp on her stance on the war (she seemed to still be of the military mindset, but she definitely wasn't as gung-ho about the war as she used to be).

It almost felt like they killed off the Hotlips character (did anyone even call her "Hotlips" the last few seasons?) and replaced her.Yeah, I can't believe I forgot abot Hotlips. But I think most of the characters on that show changed a good bit, assuming they didn't leave. And generally, those changes were not for the betterment of the show.

Jimmy James
08-11-07, 11:42 PM
If you count the theme song as part of the change, I'll go with Oliver and Lisa Douglas from Green Acres. In the theme song, Oliver wants to be a farmer. In the show, he can barely stand living in Hooterville. Similarly, Lisa goes from crying for the city to fitting right in. Of course, that's the whole point of the absurdist premise of the show.

Charlie Goose
08-12-07, 01:04 AM
Does Trapper John from MASH count from the MASH series to Trapper John MD?
I think Trapper John MD is officially a spinoff of the movie, and not of the MASH TV series.

Anyway, Homer Simpson started out as a gruff father and evolved to what he is today.

conscience
08-12-07, 01:05 AM
Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under - From non-conforming bohemian-esque nature dude to depressive married-widowed-married mid-life crisis man.

I absolutely loved the dramatic turn for this character.

lordwow
08-12-07, 01:43 AM
I can think of a few characters who went through a fundamental change over the course of a show:

- Star Trek: TNG - Data - His quest to be more human was really a major point of the whole show, and I think even though the movies rapidly expedited the rest of the process, I think the character really grew from season to season.

- Quantum Leap: Sam/Al - Both of them changed quite a bit over the show. Sam was concerned with getting back home almost every leap until "The Leap Home Part I & II" then he sort of slowly accepted the fact he may not return home up through the finale. Al changed too, maybe more than Sam, I think the biggest indicator of this was the aforementioned Leap Home and the prior "MIA" episode (which I consider to be a trilogy). In MIA Al "breaks the rules" and tries to trick Sam into helping him, whereas when Sam is put in the same position in the Leap Home, it is Al who convinces him he shouldn't be doing it. I think it's one of the best examples of "Do as I say, not as I do" in TV, but on the bright side, we see a changed Al as the show progresses, who would do anything for Sam, and the favor is finally returned in the finale.

- The Office: Jim/Pam - I think these are pretty clear-cut, but they've grown a ton in the last 2 seasons especially.

- ER: John Carter - From preppy med student, to down-on-his-luck stabbing victim & drug addict to the WTF are they doing in Africa thing.

mndtrp
08-12-07, 07:35 AM
I was going to mention The Simpsons as well. Marge and Homer seemed to have swapped brains somewhere in the first season or so. Marge was the one that wanted to eat on the couch, Homer was the disciplinarian. That changed somewhere into what they are now.

benedict
08-12-07, 09:29 AM
This one goes back a while, but the Lou Grant character changed quite a bit when he moved from The Mary Tyler Moore Show to his own Lou Grant. In some ways, you could say that he was the same character in name only.Too young for MTM but I saw Lou Grant and Rhoda as a kid.

So did the Rhoda character also change from how she was in MTM?

Jimmy James
08-12-07, 10:14 AM
Shane "Cletus Van Damme" Vendrell changed from loyal Mackey disciple to sworn enemy. That's more a dramatic shift in allegience than a dramatic shift in behavior, though.

nateman
08-12-07, 11:41 AM
I forgot all about the change of Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan too just Margaret Houlihan. Hawkeye & her became much nicer to each other in later seasons.

Also, "Radar" was a smoking, drinking, ladies man at first then becoming a non-smoking, Great Nehi drinking, virgin. I think M*A*S*H wins for "Characters that changed dramatically in a TV series".

John Carter did indeed change alot on ER. I still don't understand how the f**k he ended up in Africa. I really wish Dr. Greene (Anthony Edwards) would come back from the dead. At least that would make ER intresting again.

Andy Sipowicz played by the underrated Dennis Franz. Boy did he change alot in the first few episodes of the first season. He changed throughtout the 11 seasons of NYPD: Blue but I think he changed the most in the first couple of episodes in season 1.

Besides Darlene, Becky's character changed on Roseanne.

calhoun07
08-12-07, 11:55 AM
Waylan Smithers appeared to be black in the early episodes of the Simpsons.

He just took after his idol, Michael Jackson.

calhoun07
08-12-07, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I can't believe I forgot abot Hotlips. But I think most of the characters on that show changed a good bit, assuming they didn't leave. And generally, those changes were not for the betterment of the show.

And the ones who felt their characters weren't being given a chance to change left, and it's kind of ironic. If the characters that stayed changed but not for the better, did the other characters who left miss out on something?

Though I do think it was pretty lame of them to keep on changing the characters and allowing them to grow, but they kept Frank Burns pretty much the same. You only got to see glimpses of other dimensions to his character here and there, but mainly he was just a joke of a character.

Baron Of Hell
08-12-07, 12:13 PM
The Doctor from doctor who.

Rick Hunter from robotech.

Spike from buffy/Angel

Lara Means
08-12-07, 01:36 PM
Janet from Three's Company

Dan G
08-12-07, 01:59 PM
Screech on Saved By the Bell.

We saw him grow up from middle school to college, but after college he somehow reversed his puberty and had an annoying Urkel-like voice, that wouldn't go away.

jjcool
08-12-07, 04:22 PM
Then the pussification of Tommy Gavin on Rescue Me this season whatever that is about.

Was just thinking about this one. Keep waiting for something, anything really, to happen this season.

ENDContra
08-13-07, 08:59 AM
Sticking with some Buffyverse characters, what about Cordelia? Snobby cheerleader who cared about no one but herself in the beginning, and then enduring all of the pain from the visions that nearly killed her and then letting herself become part-demon just to be able to help others. Really, all the characters on those two shows could apply, Tara, Willow, Anya, Xander, Fred, even Buffy.

MovieExchange
08-13-07, 09:50 AM
Shane "Cletus Van Damme" Vendrell changed from loyal Mackey disciple to sworn enemy. That's more a dramatic shift in allegience than a dramatic shift in behavior, though.

Shane really hasn't changed. He's always been the gung-ho idiot that thinks he can be the next Vic Mackey, but always screws it up somehow. As a matter of fact, if there was one thing that I could find wrong with The Shield, it's that in 6 seasons there has really been next to no character development. You could watch the first episode of season one and the last episode of season 6, and see a few job changes but no major personality shifts.

Sticking with some Buffyverse characters, what about Cordelia? Snobby cheerleader who cared about no one but herself in the beginning, and then enduring all of the pain from the visions that nearly killed her and then letting herself become part-demon just to be able to help others. Really, all the characters on those two shows could apply, Tara, Willow, Anya, Xander, Fred, even Buffy.

I'd argue with most of that list. While many of them went through minor changes (Buffy, Tara, Xander, etc), the only major changes in the series were Cordelia, Spike and Wesley.

zebop
08-13-07, 10:28 AM
- ER: John Carter - From preppy med student, to down-on-his-luck stabbing victim & drug addict to the WTF are they doing in Africa thing.

His role in the series changed as well. With all of those changes he still couldn't bring to the table what Mark Greene could.

zebop
08-13-07, 10:32 AM
Tim Bayliss-Homicide: Life on the Street. The changes were really pronounced in the end. He was such a perfect character than they made him a Zen master, bisexual and all around irritating.

nateman
08-13-07, 11:25 AM
His role in the series changed as well. With all of those changes he still couldn't bring to the table what Mark Greene could.
Or Doug Ross.

Ross & Greene was the perfect duo.

zebop
Tim Bayliss-Homicide: Life on the Street. The changes were really pronounced in the end. He was such a perfect character than they made him a Zen master, bisexual and all around irritating.
I think without Frank Pembleton (Andre Braugher) Bayliss wasn’t a complete character. Those two worked very well together & remain one of my all-time favorite detective parings.

DeputyDave
08-13-07, 05:27 PM
Also, "Radar" was a smoking, drinking, ladies man at first then becoming a non-smoking, Great Nehi drinking, virgin. I think M*A*S*H wins for "Characters that changed dramatically in a TV series"..

I agree with this one from MASH but Radar's (2nd Gen) drink of choice is GRAPE Nehi. Although I'm sure it's "great".

http://www.beveragesdirect.com/images/productpix/large/1200834.jpg

Lee Harvey Oswald
08-13-07, 09:33 PM
Janet from Three's Company

How so? I thought she was pretty consistent throughout. She looked better the first season, but I don't think her character really changed that much, if at all.

Iron Chef
08-14-07, 08:40 AM
Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under - From non-conforming bohemian-esque nature dude to depressive married-widowed-married mid-life crisis man.

good one

to contribute: Bull from Night Court - in the first 2 seasons he is just a big, foreboding bailiff, for the rest of the series he became a fun-loving goof.

reubs82
08-14-07, 08:53 AM
Interesting thread.

Whenever I watch the Scrubs seasons I try to figure out when exactly it was that Elliot changed. She wasn't as neurotic in the early going as she became, and there's also the ep. where she gets her haircut, and that's supposed to be a dramatic change. I don't know if that's an intended change to show how damn crazy she is or just bad writing for her character.

Other than that, I think most everyone has covered other characters I'd notice.

Son-volt
08-14-07, 04:27 PM

I never thought Nate really changed, I just thought the presentation of him changed. Early on he was presented (and interpreted) as a bohemian, care-free womanizer without a lot of responsibility... one of those guys who really got into the college lifestyle and never moved past it.

By the end, he pretty much the same guy.... except instead of being sympathetic to his quirkiness, he came across as just a deadbeat asshole. It quit being quite so endearing and charming seeing him acting like a college sophomore at age 35.

fujishig
08-14-07, 05:17 PM
"Logan" on Veronica Mars changed a lot after the first season, but that seems par for the course for a lot of shows where enemies eventually become friends of the main characters. For instance, you can probably take any soap opera or soap-opera-like shows (like the OC, One Tree Hill, etc.) and see characters change sides often.

milo bloom
08-14-07, 09:00 PM
That is why I never liked the sitcom Frasier, because the way they changed his character back into what he was like at the beginning. To me it did not make sense

Do you mean within the show "Frasier" itself? Or from "Cheers" to "Frasier" there was a change?

Either way, it can't stack up to his father's character arc, who went from being a dead scientist on Cheers, to a retired cop on Frasier. Now that's drama!

Geddlo
08-14-07, 09:20 PM
The cast of Friends changed throughout the serie. The guys became wussier and gayer and the girls became tougher and stronger (not physically).

GoldenJCJ
08-14-07, 10:41 PM
The cast of Friends changed throughout the serie. The guys became wussier and gayer and the girls became tougher and stronger (not physically).
And Joey and Phoepe became dumber and dumber. I'm pretty sure they were bordering on mental retardation by the time the show wrapped up.

Bluelitespecial
08-14-07, 10:46 PM

And Ross became a whiny girl after his marraige with Emily didn't work out.

whoopdido
08-14-07, 11:45 PM
The cast of Seinfeld weren't complete a**holes in the first 2 or 3 seasons. Julia LD. wasn't as grating as she would be in later seasons.

Kramer went from a weird guy that had no friends and never left the building to sort of a ladies man that had different girlfriends from time to time and also supposedly hung out with people other than Jerry, George and Elaine even though those people were never seen. His schemes also got weirder and weirder as time went on.

George started out as just a total loser who couldn't do anything right but was fairly harmless. As time went on he became really coniving and wasn't quite as much of a loser because he was at least able to hold jobs for a while and get girls from time to time.

Elaine started off not having much of a romantic life. She hardly ever dated. As the show went on she dated a new guy every week. She also started out farily sweet but became extremely mean-spirited as the show went on.

Jerry stayed the same throughout the show.

Michael Corvin
08-15-07, 01:33 AM

I'm not a fan either. The show is definitely funny, but I really didn't like what they did to our beloved character from Cheers. He went from a beer swilling bud you'd have a laugh with at the local pub(Cheers) to a stuck up rich snob over night who wouldn't even go into a bar with his dad(Frasier). :wtf:

nateman
08-15-07, 10:10 AM
Kramer went from a weird guy that had no friends and never left the building to sort of a ladies man that had different girlfriends from time to time and also supposedly hung out with people other than Jerry, George and Elaine even though those people were never seen. His schemes also got weirder and weirder as time went on.

George started out as just a total loser who couldn't do anything right but was fairly harmless. As time went on he became really coniving and wasn't quite as much of a loser because he was at least able to hold jobs for a while and get girls from time to time.

Elaine started off not having much of a romantic life. She hardly ever dated. As the show went on she dated a new guy every week. She also started out farily sweet but became extremely mean-spirited as the show went on.

Jerry stayed the same throughout the show.
And TV Guide named it the greatest TV show of all time?

Of course this is from the same list that named 60 minutes the 6th greatest TV show of all time & having Letterman higher on the list than Carson so…

I like Seinfeld now but the episodes that I first saw were the later seasons where Elaine was just plain out mean. It still bugs me why so many people hold the show in a holy-like status but I do appreciate the originality (not as original as people claim it too be) of Seinfeld.

I always found Kramer to be the likeable character on Seinfeld & that’s probably the reason why I found Seinfeld funny. Michael Richards may have some anger problems but damn is he great at doing slapstick comedy. Jerry Stiller is the gem on Seinfeld. He gets more of a chance to shine on The King of Queens though, which is probably why I enjoy the KOQ’s more.

Doc Moonlight
08-15-07, 10:31 AM
Every single frackin' character on DAMAGES sometimes within the same episode.

Crizzar
08-15-07, 04:14 PM
Aqua Teen Hungerforce went from actually attempting to be detectives to... just being ATHF :)

Groucho
08-16-07, 09:44 AM
Every single frackin' character on DAMAGES sometimes within the same episode.Disagree completely. Care to offer examples?

Slayer2005
08-16-07, 01:12 PM
Wesley - Buffy & Angel (transformed on Angel though)

Cordelia - Buffy & Agnel (transformed mostly on Angel, but change quite a bit in ways on Buffy too)

Willow - Buffy

Spike - Buffy & Angel

Faith - Buffy & Angel

Logan Echols - Veronica Mars

Gabrielle - Xena (couldn't fight worth a lick compared to Xena at first and by the end she was a badass.)

Lex Luthor - Smallville

Beavis & Butthead (the voices and stuff like that anyway. lol.)

Doc Moonlight
08-16-07, 01:25 PM
Disagree completely. Care to offer examples?

I was being facetious about the tendency to have characters appear "good" one minute and "bad" the next. Wasn't really serious.

MrE
08-16-07, 04:06 PM
Bobby Ewing -- he went from dead to being a wet dream.

Groucho
08-16-07, 04:11 PM
I was being facetious about the tendency to have characters appear "good" one minute and "bad" the next. Wasn't really serious.:lol: No problem. To be fair, that sort of thing is pretty standard on FX dramas.

shawagg
08-16-07, 09:07 PM
How come no one has said Homer Simpson?!!

He used to be pretty average in the smarts and a decent father before he became a bubbling idiot in the "What wacky thing will Homer do this week" show.

Michael Corvin
08-16-07, 11:21 PM
I like Seinfeld now but the episodes that I first saw were the later seasons where Elaine was just plain out mean. It still bugs me why so many people hold the show in a holy-like status but I do appreciate the originality (not as original as people claim it too be) of Seinfeld.

:hscratch:

That's probably because you are about 14 years late to the party. If you watched Seinfeld in its original run you would think differently. Nearly every comedy in the past 10 years owes something to Seinfeld whether you believe it or not. The show was way ahead of the curve at the time which is why it took three seasons before it caught on.

Original Desmond
08-17-07, 02:39 AM
Blackadder from Series 1 to Series 2. It was done on purpose by the writers

nateman
08-17-07, 08:12 AM

That's probably because you are about 14 years late to the party. If you watched Seinfeld in its original run you would think differently. Nearly every comedy in the past 10 years owes something to Seinfeld whether you believe it or not. The show was way ahead of the curve at the time which is why it took three seasons before it caught on.
True.

I noticed that on Will & Grace, Grace does the same thing as Elaine does, by going “get out” & trying to tap the other person who told her something shocking, but she hits way too hard. There were good comedies before Seinfeld though. Plus, even if every comedy, as you say, owes something to Seinfeld, sometimes the show that rips-it-off does it better.
shawagg
How come no one has said Homer Simpson?!!

He used to be pretty average in the smarts and a decent father before he became a bubbling idiot in the "What wacky thing will Homer do this week" show.
Homer changed a lot during The Simpsons. His voice in the first season was even different. I actually liked the semi smart & sensitive (to a point) Homer more than the idiot Homer who is a selfish idiot who isn’t sensitive all that often.

I still like Homer but I don’t like his current status quite as much.

TGM
08-17-07, 10:00 AM
Drew Careys brother on the Drew Carey show?

Meglos
08-17-07, 12:14 PM
Blackadder from Series 1 to Series 2. It was done on purpose by the writers

They're two different guys from two different centuries.

Anyway, my contribution would be Nog from Star Trek:DS9. In his first scene in the pilot, he's being dragged away to Starfleet's equivalent of juvie court for looting. In the last episode he's a Starfleet Lieutenant with a penchant for discipline.

Chew
08-17-07, 12:46 PM
I'm not a fan either. The show is definitely funny, but I really didn't like what they did to our beloved character from Cheers. He went from a beer swilling bud you'd have a laugh with at the local pub(Cheers) to a stuck up rich snob over night who wouldn't even go into a bar with his dad(Frasier). :wtf:

I think it made a lot of sense if you look at his entire character arc, including the flashbacks to childhood. His intense brotherly competition with Niles to always be a little smarter, a little more snobbish, more socially elite permeates throughout the character's entire history. Away from his family, and especially his brother, changed him in Boston. A failed marriage and a return to that competition snapped him back to where he was before he left Seattle---because it was what he knew and what he was comfortable with.

If you remember the time Woody comes to visit Seattle, Frasier eventually found out he no longer has anything in common with him (and maybe his former self?) anymore.

But, that's all just IMO. ;)

cb1
08-17-07, 12:49 PM
i think i have the winner...
cory's brother on boy meets world.
in the beginning he was the cool older brother.
at the end he was practically the same age as cory and was weird and dumb.

dx23
08-17-07, 01:57 PM
i think i have the winner...
cory's brother on boy meets world.
in the beginning he was the cool older brother.
at the end he was practically the same age as cory and was weird and dumb.

And Shawn went from cool but stupid guy to intelectual poet. Topanga went from hippy daughter girl to hot, sweet and loyal girlfriend.

Uncle Jesse from Full House went from biker dude to married guy with 2 kids.

Charlie in Lost went from junkie to nice clean guy who care for Claire and the baby.

RyoHazuki
08-17-07, 02:55 PM
I think it made a lot of sense if you look at his entire character arc, including the flashbacks to childhood. His intense brotherly competition with Niles to always be a little smarter, a little more snobbish, more socially elite permeates throughout the character's entire history. Away from his family, and especially his brother, changed him in Boston. A failed marriage and a return to that competition snapped him back to where he was before he left Seattle---because it was what he knew and what he was comfortable with.

If you remember the time Woody comes to visit Seattle, Frasier eventually found out he no longer has anything in common with him (and maybe his former self?) anymore.

But, that's all just IMO. ;) :thumbsup: I was going to post something similar.

taa455
08-17-07, 03:19 PM
I was going to say Kramer from Seinfeld, but he was already mentioned.

MasterofDVD
08-18-07, 01:41 AM
I'd have to agree with everyone who said that the characters on Buffy and Angel all seemed to change a great deal. So many characters made massive changes over the years but fans went along with it because the characters matured and most faced huge obstacles.

kurupt
08-19-07, 12:04 PM
I'd have to agree with everyone who said that the characters on Buffy and Angel all seemed to change a great deal. So many characters made massive changes over the years but fans went along with it because the characters matured and most faced huge obstacles.

Agreed. The character arcs in Buffy/Angel always seemed authentic and well-thought out. Never cheap. In some shows, it seems as thought characters change simply because some executive sat in on a focus group and made a snap decision like, "make hot daughter a little sluttier."

Pacey was a pretty big change. From the wittily verbose slacker sidekick to a sleazy goateed boiler room broker to the good guy who ultimately got the girl. While we're on Dawson's Creek, as Van Der Beek went from the titular star to a supporting character, Katie Holmes was somehow determined to the breakout star, so the was the focal character the last few seasons. It morphed into Joey's Creek featuring Dawson.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0